Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IanforHeisman

Got circled up by some coyotes today..

Over by Barber park on the other side of the river.. This one caught my attention  as I’d never seen one before, then as this one moved I turned around and there were 3 behind me. Had my Doberman and my wife’s snack dog with me both on a leash.  They followed me back to whatever road that is where the park entrance is. Wouldn’t say they were aggressive but definitely curious.

Biggest coyote I've ever seen at the entrance to my neighborhood the other day. I live 2 miles from downtown SD.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

10 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

I have no idea.. These ones seem kinda small, but I’ve never seen them in person so maybe they’re regular size. For some reason I expected them to be bigger. 

Coyotes arent very big. the one in your vid looks healthy, well fed. They were probably "curious" about your little dog, lol. 

I live in a neighborhood near the edge of my town. beyond the neighborhood are orchards and then grassland used mostly for grazing before the Sierra foothills start to rise. And about 100 yards from my house is a creek that essentially allows a straight corridor without roads or homes or development from the road I live on out to the orchards and grasslands. About a month or so ago, I was just standing in my kitchen drinking coffee in the morning, and a quite large coyote just trotted by, through my somewhat inner city neighborhood , trotting along the sidewalk heading toward the creek. I was like, huh that's a weird looking dog. Oh, that's not a dog. 

Spotting a coyote is not any crazy thing here. You can hear them in the distance at night sometimes. But they usually steer clear of people. So it was weird to see one just trotting down the sidewalk. My guess is that some of them find it beneficial to come up the creek and get cats and small dogs roaming the neighborhoods. Urban wilderness.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

I’ve heard them at night a few times but never seen one.. I’ve heard rustling in the bushes where I saw this one before, I always assumed it was deer or something. Shit tons of deer in that area especially now with all the babies. I always keep my dogs leashed, Dobermans scare people even though he’s a big softy. There’s a million trails to walk around here, I’ll avoid this one and let the coyotes do their thing. I’ve seen foxes in that exact are before, they must coexist just fine.

I try to ambush them with rocks whenever I spot one or more crossing the property. I even went chasing after one at Zero Dark Thirty in my underwear one night with a Moro spear that wouldn't;t shutTF up. I don't want them feeling comfortable anywhere around here. Bobcats, on the other hand, are always welcomed. As are pretty much any animal other than those damn yotes. F*cking assholes, every last one of them - they're the reason varmint cartridges exist iMO.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

1 minute ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I try to ambush them with rocks whenever I spot one or more crossing the property. I even went chasing after one at Zero Dark Thirty in my underwear one night with a Moro spear that wouldn't;t shutTF up. I don't want them feeling comfortable anywhere around here. Bobcats, on the other hand, are always welcomed. As are pretty much any animal other than those damn yotes. F*cking assholes, every last one of them - they're the reason varmint cartridges exist iMO.

My neighborhood is overflowing with shitty little dogs running around yapping at people with no leash, and cats taking a dump in my front yard. MOAR coyotes! 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Yeah we have a bobcat in this area, saw it a lot last year but haven’t seen it for a few months. Beautiful creature. I always give it a wide birth or turn around when I see it. 

Just now, IanforHeisman said:

Yeah we have a bobcat in this area, saw it a lot last year but haven’t seen it for a few months. Beautiful creature. I always give it a wide birth or turn around when I see it. 

I've only seen a bobcat once... running on a trail in the foothills, turned a corner and saw the back of it while it scampered off. Very cool. 

13 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

My neighborhood is overflowing with shitty little dogs running around yapping at people with no leash, and cats taking a dump in my front yard. MOAR coyotes! 

I'll need a forwarding address for the ones I'll trap and send your way then.

15 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

14 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I've only seen a bobcat once... running on a trail in the foothills, turned a corner and saw the back of it while it scampered off. Very cool. 

We have an established breeding population somewhere on or around the property. I routinely see them and have had them - including one with a rabbit in its mouth - casually pass within 6-8 feet of where I was sitting. I've posted a photo or two in other wildlife-related threads here. I would have opted for something bigger given the choice, but I think its my spirit animal.

6 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

Over by Barber park on the other side of the river.. This one caught my attention  as I’d never seen one before, then as this one moved I turned around and there were 3 behind me. Had my Doberman and my wife’s snack dog with me both on a leash.  They followed me back to whatever road that is where the park entrance is. Wouldn’t say they were aggressive but definitely curious.

That area is getting pretty heavily developed although set back from the river. I’m surprised wildlife frequents the area. Although deer come down to the river a lot. I’ve seen coyotes in the foothills. One ran right across the trail in front of my golden retriever once. My dog looked at it like what the phuck is that. Luckily she didn’t chase it.  A few years ago there were cougar sightings in the North End.