Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pelado

Pullman, WA in October

2 hours ago, Pelado said:

I'm thinking to take my son to the BYU-WSU game in late October to witness some Cougar-on-Cougar action.  What type of horrific winter weather should I expect?

Pullman's elevation is around 2,350, so it does not seem like the winter weather would be very bad.  Average high in October is 58.8 (vs Provo 53.8) and low is 36.1 (vs Provo 28.2).  Even in January the weather is not all that bad (average high 36.5 and low 26.7), it's kind like Lewiston, Idaho (lowest elevation in the State, 745) normally has the nicest winter weather in the State.

I'm thinking to take my son to the BYU-WSU game in late October to witness some Cougar-on-Cougar action.  What type of horrific winter weather should I expect?

I live in Spokane - it’s not usually that bad in October.

But figure out your lodging early!

Pullman only has a few hundred hotel rooms and a few hundred camping spots and a 90 mile drive back to Spokane that sucks after a bad loss (rooms/spots fill fast).

If you aren’t in a rush, you’ll have fun. Pullman is a nice college town off the beaten path so if you’re looking to get in and out quickly, plan ahead. 

Holy War hate for BYU doesn’t really exist outside of Utah. You’ll probably get questions about Zack, Detmer, Lavell etc.. Hit some tailgating if you can. Not a huge scene but easy going people. 

Just don’t wear Husky gear. 

Not bad weather, but Pullman may be the the worst college town for a non-drinker to go to.  Campus is below average, not much for good food, and unless you make a longer weekend to do the Palouse or Hell's Gate for natural beauty,  or hang out in CDA or Spokane, I would go somewhere else, tbh.  Nice people, but tailgating is surprisingly poor.

10 hours ago, utenation said:

Btw Pelado, if you can ever dig the story out of @NorCalCougof when I drug him through the Utah tailgating lot when he was dressed in full BYU garb, you’re in for a treat. 

I almost got my ass kicked for letting him into the circle of trust. 

So, you’re saying you committed some sort of an “honor code” violation? 

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Guest #1Stunner
12 hours ago, Pelado said:

Are you going to any other games this year?

I think the BYU vs Arizona game in Las Vegas will be sold out.

10 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I live in Spokane - it’s not usually that bad in October.

But figure out your lodging early!

Pullman only has a few hundred hotel rooms and a few hundred camping spots and a 90 mile drive back to Spokane that sucks after a bad loss (rooms/spots fill fast).

Good to know - I wouldn't have thought that a hotel would be that difficult to get.

10 hours ago, utenation said:

If you aren’t in a rush, you’ll have fun. Pullman is a nice college town off the beaten path so if you’re looking to get in and out quickly, plan ahead. 

Holy War hate for BYU doesn’t really exist outside of Utah. You’ll probably get questions about Zack, Detmer, Lavell etc.. Hit some tailgating if you can. Not a huge scene but easy going people. 

Just don’t wear Husky gear. 

No rush - except maybe to get a hotel room and/or camping site.

8 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Not bad weather, but Pullman may be the the worst college town for a non-drinker to go to.  Campus is below average, not much for good food, and unless you make a longer weekend to do the Palouse or Hell's Gate for natural beauty,  or hang out in CDA or Spokane, I would go somewhere else, tbh.  Nice people, but tailgating is surprisingly poor.

I was thinking about checking out Hell's Canyon on the way there or back, but wasn't sure if it would be accessible.  It would be nice to do some hiking in that area, but I'm guessing it will be too late in the season.

16 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Are you going to any other games this year?

I think the BYU vs Arizona game in Las Vegas will be sold out.

I'm hoping to make it down for the Boise State game.  I'll have to look at the schedule more closely to see what else I can make it to.

My wife didn't like the idea of me taking our 16-year-old to Vegas for the Arizona game.  And with the tickets selling like hotcakes, I'm not really that interested in paying a huge premium for seats - I don't have Woosh-like money.

1 minute ago, Pelado said:

Good to know - I wouldn't have thought that a hotel would be that difficult to get.

No rush - except maybe to get a hotel room and/or camping site.

I was thinking about checking out Hell's Canyon on the way there or back, but wasn't sure if it would be accessible.  It would be nice to do some hiking in that area, but I'm guessing it will be too late in the season.

I'm hoping to make it down for the Boise State game.  I'll have to look at the schedule more closely to see what else I can make it to.

My wife didn't like the idea of me taking our 16-year-old to Vegas for the Arizona game.  And with the tickets selling like hotcakes, I'm not really that interested in paying a huge premium for seats - I don't have Woosh-like money.

No, it will be fine but wear orange, it will be hunting season.

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, Pelado said:

My wife didn't like the idea of me taking our 16-year-old to Vegas for the Arizona game. 

And with the tickets selling like hotcakes, I'm not really that interested in paying a huge premium for seats - I don't have Woosh-like money.

Yeah, I think tickets might be expensive for that game.

I think it will be pretty tame in Las Vegas, though. 

49 minutes ago, Pelado said:

I would talk to @RebelRobert. He seems to have all the connections in Vegas. And since UNLV built this stadium and not the Raiders, you should be a shoe in for discounts.

UNLV runs Vegas. Not the Raiders.

WSU's program seems like a bit of a mess right now. Their talented dual threat QB was suspended after a DUI arrest. Mike Leach had issues at WSU, but there's no doubt that he could always put together a great offense and a team that was tough to out score. Nick Rolovich has his work cut out for him. They are by far the worst team in the PAC12 North. 

1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

WSU's program seems like a bit of a mess right now. Their talented dual threat QB was suspended after a DUI arrest. Mike Leach had issues at WSU, but there's no doubt that he could always put together a great offense and a team that was tough to out score. Nick Rolovich has his work cut out for him. They are by far the worst team in the PAC12 North. 

Super nice little stadium. There’s a reason I get called every month by WSU asking for more $$$. $120m in debt will do that to an AD. My $250 isn’t going to make a dent that much I know. 

I’m in Vegas right now at a conference.  The Strip is always interesting, but seems more trashy than usual right right now.  So much out in the open weed smoking right now.  Seems vastly different than last time I was here 2 years ago. 

35 minutes ago, Wolverine said:

I’m in Vegas right now at a conference.  The Strip is always interesting, but seems more trashy than usual right right now.  So much out in the open weed smoking right now.  Seems vastly different than last time I was here 2 years ago. 

They're letting you smoke weed right on the Strip?