Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Columbus Police fatally shoot a 15-year-old black girl

The jump to conclusions irresponsible  publicity surrounding these type of situations is going to end up getting more people killed. Cops are going to hesitate in using lethal force when necessary and get shot or stabbed themselves. Or cops are going to back off and others are going to get killed. It’s a no win situation. 

6 minutes ago, KayakArmada said:

I’m glad some sanity has finally arrived to this thread. 

There is a major difference between the way you addressed posters from the way slapdad did. He wasn't condescending with 5 posts to his name with an attitude that anyone that doesn't get it is below standards and likely wouldn't walk away with tales to tell.

If you are a cop, I respect your work and bravery but you might want to get a feel for the level of your audience before you ride in on your white horse thinking everyone that hasn't had training is a moron and couldn't cut it..

There's a ton of smart people here with different perspectives, that may not always be correct. 

1 minute ago, utenation said:

There is a major difference between the way you addressed posters from the way slapdad did. He wasn't condescending with 5 posts to his name with an attitude that anyone that doesn't get it is below standards and likely wouldn't walk away with tales to tell.

If you are a cop, I respect your work and bravery but you might want to get a feel for the level of your audience before you ride in on your white horse thinking everyone that hasn't had training is a moron and couldn't cut it..

There's a ton of smart people here with different perspectives, that may not always be correct. 

You might want to heed your own advice

12 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

The publicity surrounding these type of situations is going to end up getting more people killed. Cops are going to hesitate in using lethal force when necessary and get shot or stabbed themselves. Or cops are going to back off and others are going to get killed. It’s a no win situation. 

Or maybe they will transition to less-than-lethal techniques?  Suicide by cop is a way bigger problem than situations like this - where someone is wielding a knife and telling cops to shoot them - many of those can be stopped without lethal force.  Would this 16 year old have crumpled with rubber bullets or some other less-than-lethal technique?

https://www.kxly.com/warning-graphic-footage-shows-police-using-less-lethal-weapon-on-naked-man/

11 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

You might want to heed your own advice

This is a fluid conversation.  I've actually changed my opinion of the actions of this situation based on data.  And if calling Convert a clown is condescending, sign me up for more. 

I actually value the other opinions here. You have made this about blue and red teams... How stupid is that?

4 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Or maybe they will transition to less-than-lethal techniques?  Suicide by cop is a way bigger problem than situations like this - where someone is wielding a knife and telling cops to shoot them - many of those can be stopped without lethal force.  Would this 16 year old have crumpled with rubber bullets or some other less-than-lethal technique?

https://www.kxly.com/warning-graphic-footage-shows-police-using-less-lethal-weapon-on-naked-man/

I assume there are cases where non lethal force applies and is often used and there are cases where it doesn’t apply and lethal force is necessary. 

15 minutes ago, utenation said:

Quit being the martyr. You just jumped on Kayak Armada who gave you a very detailed and responsible post on why you were wrong. You also incorrectly quoted one of my posts.

2 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Quit being the martyr. You just jumped on Kayak Armada who gave you a very detailed and responsible post on why you were wrong. You also incorrectly quoted one of my posts.

What I said to him was very specific and had nothing to do with his accuracy of info on the matter. 

As far as misquoting you, there really isn't anything worthy to misquote. You think this is red vs blue guys. Period. To me that's just dumb.  

14 hours ago, youngredbullfan said:

He did what he was trained to do. He did save someone from being injured, and maybe possibly (around a 4% chance) seriously injured or killed.

I just wish he wasn't trained to immediately go to the gun in a knife situation. Police are supposed to deescalate

You think that when a steak knife is driven into the midsection of an unarmed person whose back is against an immovable object it has only about a 4% chance of doing serious injury? 

Might want to rethink that one, my friend.

On 4/21/2021 at 9:15 AM, utenation said:

Maybe you are seeing something that I'm not. The video I saw showed he was inches away from shooting the lady in pink.. The cop got lucky from my view. 

And the girl in pink was inches from being all the way by the coroner.

110926run_defense710.jpg

22 hours ago, toonkee said:

I'd like to hear how the mother of the girl in pink feels about all this.

If they are smart, they will keep their mouth shut. If they express support for the police their house will be burned down.

110926run_defense710.jpg

20 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

You think that when a steak knife is driven into the midsection of an unarmed person whose back is against an immovable object it has only about a 4% chance of doing serious injury? 

Might want to rethink that one, my friend.

I think this just speaks to the need for a national police reform Bill.  It is important to have a national consensus and a national standard on legitimate uses of force.   

In my mind, this instance is a legitimate use of force.  The shooting in Atlanta of the guy running away was not legitimate.  He was not an immediate threat.  Those are my opinions and I know others have a different opinion but we need to have a discussion, a consensus, and hopefully a national standard.  

2 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

I think this just speaks to the need for a national police reform Bill.  It is important to have a national consensus and a national standard on legitimate uses of force.   

In my mind, this instance is a legitimate use of force.  The shooting in Atlanta of the guy running away was not legitimate.  He was not an immediate threat.  Those are my opinions and I know others have a different opinion but we need to have a discussion, a consensus, and hopefully a national standard.  

We’re going to have to also pay cops a lot more to insure we hire those with the right temperament to do the job. There’s nothing wrong with reevaluating policing as long as it’s sensible and not a defund the police knee jerk reaction as currently is happening. 

1 hour ago, Slapdad said:

Depends on the taser. With most tasers, you need at least a 12 inch spread for the charge to be effective and depending on the model of taser, that 12 inch spread isn't possible unless you're at least 7 feet away, some models its 9 feet, so using a taser in close quarters like that isn't particularly useful. Beyond that, tasers aren't as effective as people like to think they are with most departments showing that they incapacitate their target only 53% to 73% of the time. Those aren't good odds when someone's about to shove a knife into another person. And there are some people that just aren't affected by tasers. I've been present for the mandatory taser training and to calls where a taser is deployed (the S.O. here has to call EMS every time someone is hit with a taser) and I've seen several people who are mostly unaffected by the charge. For those people who think its so easy to get to a call where its complete chaos and someone is running towards you (albeit to get someone else in this case) with a knife or other weapon and just disarm them with a wrestling move or taser should go on a series of ride alongs with the police and see what it's like out there first hand and you might change your mind...like Quanell X did

All I know is that if I were the girl in pink or her family, I'd be thanking the cop for intervening when he did and not thinking about whether he was going to be crucified by the mob.

2 hours ago, KayakArmada said:

I’m glad some sanity has finally arrived to this thread. 

Have you ever used your service weapon in the field, officer?

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

1 hour ago, tailingpermit said:

Y’all are ruining @youngredbullfan’s White Panther party.  

White kid doing Black Power salute

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

2 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

"Itching to pull a pistol."  No bias there.   

The cop was absolutely prepared to handle the situation.  He gets an A+ in regards to the way he handled it. 

You are severely out brained in this thread.  It would be a good time to stop while you're only this far behind. 

Why do you think his hand was on his service weapon as soon as he exited the vehicle, with no fracas or altercation visible?