Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Columbus Police fatally shoot a 15-year-old black girl

A family member has confirmed to 10TV that the person shot and killed by a police officer in southeast Columbus Tuesday was 15-year-old Makiah Bryant.

Officers were called to the 3100 block of Legion Lane, north of Chatterton Road, just after 4:30 p.m. for a disturbance. 

The family says Bryant called the police for help because girls were fighting outside her house.

Bryant was taken to Mount Carmel East in critical condition where she was later pronounced dead.

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/local/police-1-shot-by-officer-in-southeast-columbus/530-c77bb47e-97d1-47b5-8ed8-099c105a0f20

Sigh. 

1 minute ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

I dont want to live in the city you live.

Neither do I. Too cold here.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

17 minutes ago, retrofade said:

First a 13 year old that stops and holds his hands up. Now a 10 year old girl that actually called the police in the first place?

I don't even have words for this.

Some additional reporting.

Bryant said her niece has been living in a foster home on the east side of Columbus where the fatal shooting took place. She said several adult women had come to the foster home and started an altercation with the teenager, who called police and her biological father and grandmother for help. She grabbed a knife to defend herself, Bryant said.

According to Bryant, who said she had been told of the events by Makiyah’s grandmother and father, Makiyah was in front of the house fending off a physical assault when police arrived, and she had already dropped the knife in the yard. But police shot her four times without any warning, she said.

“The police are going to lie. I’m so thankful that someone from the family was actually on the scene,” Bryant said. “The police are going to lie. The police are going to cover up for themselves. They don't care. At this point, I feel like they’re just out to kill Black people. They’re not here to protect and serve. That isn’t happening. That’s been over a long time ago. They’re not here to protect and serve. They’re here to kill Black folks.”

The Columbus Dispatch reported that police officers were sent to the scene after a 911 caller reported an attempted stabbing, saying a female was trying to stab them.

Bryant disputed information circulating in local media that Makiyah had tried to stab someone and appeared to be a threat, saying Columbus police had released false information to explain the shooting. “I’m overwhelmed,” Hazel said. “It’s awful.”

https://news.yahoo.com/columbus-police-fatally-shoot-person-222318319.html

:(

Just now, Wyoguns said:

Kind of hard to see on my phone wth was going on for sure.  Did she have a knife?

Yeah. She was about to run the girl in pink through after charging and knocking another girl to the ground.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

It does look like she had a knife, and it does look like there is a knife on the ground after she was shot, in a spot where she could have dropped it when shot. Video is poor quality though and I’m watching it on my phone, but that’s what it looks like to me.

Tragic situation, but if that image is accurate, this particular response is arguably justified imo

Less-lethal force would have been preferable here, however.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

We need to not jump to conclusions.  A lot to digest in a few seconds.  One might assume any shooting of a 15 year old is unjustified.  The cop had to make a very quick decision, but if I understand correctly, he made the correct decision.  

110926run_defense710.jpg

3 hours ago, retrofade said:

It appears the media initially went with a false narrative.  

110926run_defense710.jpg

6 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Thankfully the body cam footage was released quickly. It’s amazing how quick the police can get it out when it backs up their account. 

5 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

No they didn't...

They related what the family said about the incident and said as much. 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.