Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebels2k3

OT - Top European Soccer Clubs on the verge of announcing a European Super League

9 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

International soccer is the biggest collection of crooks and money launderers. Its a power grab by crooks against crooks.

Yeah.  Back to my NCAA theory.

2 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I really don't follow soccer at all.  This the first time I've heard of a professional sport following a NCAA football model.

Hmmmm?

The Champions League is sort of like The NCAA Tournament where teams from all around Europe compete. 

You have your major leagues like the Premier League,  Bundesliga etc. Which are sort of like The P5 and then you have leagues in places Moldova and Slovaka which are sorta like The SWAC or Southland. Ever League sends their champ and the bigger leagues get multiple teams

The bigger clubs are discussing starting their own competition where they wouldn't have to include and share money with the smaller leagues and they wouldn't have to worry about qualifying. 

It's sorta similar to what people fear The P5 will one day do

24 minutes ago, sebasour said:

The Champions League is sort of like The NCAA Tournament where teams from all around Europe compete. 

You have your major leagues like the Premier League,  Bundesliga etc. Which are sort of like The P5 and then you have leagues in places Moldova and Slovaka which are sorta like The SWAC or Southland. Ever League sends their champ and the bigger leagues get multiple teams

The bigger clubs are discussing starting their own competition where they wouldn't have to include and share money with the smaller leagues and they wouldn't have to worry about qualifying. 

It's sorta similar to what people fear The P5 will one day do

Got it.  Sort of like the football playoffs.

6 hours ago, Rebels2k3 said:

This was announced by UEFA. FIFA hasn't commented. I think UEFA is bluffing though.

I dont.  UCL is their cash cow.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

5 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

It will severely diminish the top leagues by killing their TV revenue. In the PL they call the teams that are proposing to leave the top six for a reason. I seriously doubt it will be allowed to happen. 

Nobody is saying these clubs will leave their domestic leagues.  This is going to be a midweek setup like UCL is. And the UCL has nothing to do with the truckload of money the EPL gets for TV.  But those teams and plsyers being banned from everything else is what the leagues are concerned about.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

FIFA said on Sunday it disapproved of the breakaway competition called the European Super League as it was outside of international football structures.

"Against this background, FIFA can only express its disapproval to a 'closed European breakaway league' outside of the international football structures," a statement from football's world governing body read.

4 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Well, the clubs have all the leverage

Wouldnt be too sure about that.  These Super League proposals have been popping up for decades.  They squeeze a little more money out of UEFA and they disappear. 

Not coincidentally, UEFA announces their UCL revamp tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, RSF said:

Nobody is saying these clubs will leave their domestic leagues.  This is going to be a midweek setup like UCL is. And the UCL has nothing to do with the truckload of money the EPL gets for TV.  But those teams and plsyers being banned from everything else is what the leagues are concerned about.

I disagree. The top teams have been talking about a breakaway league for years. This a step towards a league that crosses national boundaries. Why else would the national federations oppose it so much so soon. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

11 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I disagree. The top teams have been talking about a breakaway league for years. This a step towards a league that crosses national boundaries. Why else would the national federations oppose it so much so soon. 

EVERYBODY is opposing it.  Leagues, FAs, political leaders, fan groups, players.   Because they all like things as they are.  And I already mentioned that a Super League has been proposed for decades, and why it always dies quietly.

11 hours ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Nothing will happen. The train has already left the station. 

The train isnt even loaded.  Neither a ESL or a UCL revamp is happening for 3 years.

Bundesliga clubs Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich have opted to proceed with Champions League reforms rather than participate in the new controversial European Super League, according to Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke.

Bayern have yet to comment on the proposed league but Watzke said in his statement that both clubs were in agreement about committing to the Champions League.

22 minutes ago, RSF said:

Bundesliga clubs Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich have opted to proceed with Champions League reforms rather than participate in the new controversial European Super League, according to Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke.

Bayern have yet to comment on the proposed league but Watzke said in his statement that both clubs were in agreement about committing to the Champions League.

Money will talk in the end once the storm blows over 

Yes, it will.  UEFA will throw some more money in the pot, and that'll be it.  This is not the 1st rodeo for any of them.

History

Proposals for the creation of an European Super League date back to at least 1998, when the Italian corporation Media Partners investigated the idea, which failed after UEFA moved to expand the Champions League.[3] Various proposals had been brought forth over the next two decades, with little success.

At the Financial Times’ Business of Football summit in February 2021, Simon Green, the head of BT Sport, the UEFA Champions League rights holder in the UK, cautioned that a Super League "wouldn’t be worth as much as the existing leagues and Champions League are at the moment".[27]

The new Champions League format was officially approved today, which throws a massive bone to the bigger teams.

I'm sure this issue will come up again, but hopefully that stops it for now

12 hours ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Nothing will happen. The train has already left the station. 

The way I figure, you can be on the train or under it. So I went out and bought 100 shares of Manchester United this morning.

PSG, it should be noted, are owned by a Qatari group (FIFA/World Cup) and whose president is also president of BeIn Sport (UEFA Champions League broadcaster).

The Athletic has been told PSG are not involved in the plans at the moment in time. There is a belief at the top of the club that it would be disrespectful to join them.

They are keen to discuss UEFA’s proposal after it is presented on Monday.

PSG are also thought to believe that European competition should not be restricted to the richest clubs, and that smaller teams like Atalanta, Ajax or Leicester should have their shot.

A source added: “We are sticking to the tradition of UEFA.”

4 hours ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Money will talk in the end once the storm blows over 

I don’t think this is happening. Or if it does, the Bundesliga teams won’t be participating. Money does talk, and that money would be in the form of German teams dominating a UCL sans the top EPL and La Liga teams.