Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tenbobnote

NDSU Football Head Coach Matt Entz Wants To Join The Mountain West?

3 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

What Texas schools, theoretically, would accept an invite to the MWC today? UTEP? UTSA maybe?

North Texas wouldn’t and don’t think Texas State would either.  

UTEP has history with the MWC schools and would accept the offer before hanging up the phone.  They are an outlier out west in CUSA, whereas they would align well with CSU, Air Force, and UNM in the MWC.  

14 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

If expansion in to Texas was off the table for whatever reason and we had to expand I’d like to see two schools out of the group of NMSU, Montana, Montana State, and South Dakota State. 

The #1 seed in the FCS playoffs, South Dakota State, should be #1 on the expansion list. They crushed NDSU a few weeks ago and are clearly the best team in the Dakotas. SDSU also plays in a new outdoor stadium that has a higher seating capacity than the Kibbie-ish FargoDome. South Dakota is also a better geographic fit because it has more population than North Dakota and it’s a contiguous state that fits the current footprint. 

F-off Bisons 

1 minute ago, alum93 said:

UTEP has history with the MWC schools and would accept the offer before hanging up the phone.  They are an outlier out west in CUSA, whereas they would align well with CSU, Air Force, and UNM in the MWC.  

Yeah that actually seems like a no-brainer, along with nmsu.  I seem to remember UTEP being pesky in March madness back in the 90’s too.  Any addition needs to have a focus on basketball.

Given the WAC and ASUN launching of football with the possibility of moving up to FBS in the future, the MVFC has some schools that could move up.

NDSU: Fargo Dome's wikipedia page says 5 to 7 thousand more seats could be added to get it to 25K.  Why have they not started on that yet?

UND: Doable but they will need a new football home since their current dome is too small.

SDSU: Probably more FBS ready than NDSU when you consider facilities.  The stadium was torn down and rebuilt with about 19K seats.  That stadium looks like it could be built out to 28-30K.

USD: They will have to build a new stadium.

Southern Illinois: Just look at where the school is and you wonder why they are not FBS.  Just built a new stadium.

Illinois State:  They just would need to add seats to their stadium.

Northern Iowa: Solid program but facility is holding them back.  I don't see Iowa supporting three FBS teams.

Missouri State: They were once rumored for the C-USA but they passed on that.

Indiana State: Are you kidding me?

Youngstown State: They had their chance in the 1990's and the MAC turned them down.  The MAC is pretty much their only option at this point.

At this point, five teams could make the move up.  Maybe that is where CSU would move to.

3 hours ago, Ram1554 said:

The #1 seed in the FCS playoffs, South Dakota State, should be #1 on the expansion list. They crushed NDSU a few weeks ago and are clearly the best team in the Dakotas. SDSU also plays in a new outdoor stadium that has a higher seating capacity than the Kibbie-ish FargoDome. South Dakota is also a better geographic fit because it has more population than North Dakota and it’s a contiguous state that fits the current footprint. 

F-off Bisons 

I'm going to assume you're just trying to rile up NDSU fans but just in case you're somehow serious:

- SDSU has been able to sell out that stadium exactly 1 time. The 1 time was because NDSU fans bought half the tickets. (ALSO it was NOT SMART of them to build an outdoor stadium. It get's pretty cold there in November) 
- SDSU sucks
- SDSU is located in Brookings which is a tiny college town.
- SDSU sucks
- NDSU has a national brand. SDSU is known as being their little brother.
- SDSU sucks

2 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

Given the WAC and ASUN launching of football with the possibility of moving up to FBS in the future, the MVFC has some schools that could move up.

NDSU: Fargo Dome's wikipedia page says 5 to 7 thousand more seats could be added to get it to 25K.  Why have they not started on that yet?

UND: Doable but they will need a new football home since their current dome is too small.

SDSU: Probably more FBS ready than NDSU when you consider facilities.  The stadium was torn down and rebuilt with about 19K seats.  That stadium looks like it could be built out to 28-30K.

USD: They will have to build a new stadium.

Southern Illinois: Just look at where the school is and you wonder why they are not FBS.  Just built a new stadium.

Illinois State:  They just would need to add seats to their stadium.

Northern Iowa: Solid program but facility is holding them back.  I don't see Iowa supporting three FBS teams.

Missouri State: They were once rumored for the C-USA but they passed on that.

Indiana State: Are you kidding me?

Youngstown State: They had their chance in the 1990's and the MAC turned them down.  The MAC is pretty much their only option at this point.

At this point, five teams could make the move up.  Maybe that is where CSU would move to.

Here's the football revenue of the MVFC from 2019

NDSU SDSU YSU ISU UNI UND Missouri State Southern Illinois South Dakota WIU Indiana State
6.007 5.025 2.032 3.217 3.398 1.851 4.237 1.929 2.945 2.113 4.499

^ NDSU has that revenue without guarantees (hardly any FBS team will schedule them anymore) SDSU had a juicy guarantee game and makes their budget look better than it is. Also because of how they do budgeting their media rights for football and their football camp, etc would add another 1m to the budget. So, if they were FBS that would be at least 8-9m

Plus, many of the other schools are heavily subsidized. If you take that out, here's what you're left with: 

NDSU SDSU YSU ISU UNI UND Missouri State Southern Illinois South Dakota WIU Indiana State
5.49 5.025 2.032 1.846 1.86 1.751 1.278 1.348 1.045 0.736 0.887

9 minutes ago, tenbobnote said:

I'm going to assume you're just trying to rile up NDSU fans but just in case you're somehow serious:

- SDSU has been able to sell out that stadium exactly 1 time. The 1 time was because NDSU fans bought half the tickets. (ALSO it was NOT SMART of them to build an outdoor stadium. It get's pretty cold there in November) 
- SDSU sucks
- SDSU sucks
- SDSU sucks

Folks are just having fun with this..

8 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

If UC Davis was interested in moving up, they would be a great choice. 

I don’t think that SJSU, Nevada, CSUF, SDSU, and UNLV would be interested in more recruiting competition.  UCD has a lot going for it but has shown no sign that it wants to be FBS. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

56 minutes ago, tenbobnote said:

- SDSU sucks
- SDSU sucks
- SDSU sucks

What does that say about NDSU?

NDSU-SDSU.png

1 hour ago, nvspuds said:

Folks are just having fun with this..

I believe the operative term is 'fish in a barrel'...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, Pelado said:

NDSU-SDSU.png

This tweet sums it up nicely:
976124482_ScreenShot2021-04-27at8_57_05PM.png.18cbe1837cb1912338b83206a1bc5f76.png

If you're unfamiliar, that's (2) 1st rounders (1) 2nd rounder and likely a couple more late rounders with the rest that were experienced seniors that had jobs lined up, etc and needed to move on. SDSU basically had 1-2 of those.

12 minutes ago, tenbobnote said:

976124482_ScreenShot2021-04-27at8_57_05PM.png.18cbe1837cb1912338b83206a1bc5f76.png

If you're unfamiliar, that's (2) 1st rounders (1) 2nd rounder and likely a couple more late rounders with the rest that were experienced seniors that had jobs lined up, etc and needed to move on. SDSU basically had 1-2 of those.

So you don't have enough depth to compete against the likes of South Dakota State?  That is not much of a positive in your fruitless quest to gets us to long for your football team in the MW.

58 minutes ago, tenbobnote said:

Excuses, excuses, excuses...

12 hours ago, tenbobnote said:

The fact that any of them nearly all of them would be unfamiliar is more evidence that NDSU is not a national brand.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 4/27/2021 at 5:37 PM, Pelado said:

NDSU-SDSU.png

If they both keep winning in the playoffs they'll meet up again in the FCS Championship game on May 16. 2571.png&h=40&w=40 Go Jacks! 

On 4/27/2021 at 2:30 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Yeah that actually seems like a no-brainer, along with nmsu.  I seem to remember UTEP being pesky in March madness back in the 90’s too.  Any addition needs to have a focus on basketball.

I think any CUSA school would.

I mean, the MWC has a much much more favorable TV deal than the AAC.  By the time your deal ends, we will all have flying cars and shit.

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Hate to say it, but NDSU would do fine in the MWC. They have a lot of passionate fans and that's what's most important. They would make it work. North Dakota is hell on earth and the Bizzuun are all they have. Just like Cleveland Browns fans. They live hopeless lives and football is the one tiny beacon of light that they have.

But what's in it for the MWC? A really far game in a totally different tine zone that wouldn't be a gimme

That's the point..Nothing in it for the MW..

2 hours ago, nvspuds said:

That's the point..Nothing in it for the MW..

If the MWC gets to a point where it needs to actively seek members, then it will be all about minimizing the damage from multiple schools that have left.  There was no replacing Utah, BYU, and TCU.  It just wasn't going to happen.  And the conference took the hit,  reloaded, and kept going.  The same thing will happen again.  I don't think based on location and population of state that NDSU will be at the top of any list.  There are too many schools out west that will be more than willing to join.  I agree with others that Texas schools will be at the top, probably lead by UTEP.  But we are probably talking a major shake up in multiple conferences by then.  

5 hours ago, Bob said:

Hate to say it, but NDSU would do fine in the MWC. They have a lot of passionate fans and that's what's most important. They would make it work. North Dakota is hell on earth and the Bizzuun are all they have. Just like Cleveland Browns fans. They live hopeless lives and football is the one tiny beacon of light that they have.

But what's in it for the MWC? A really far game in a totally different tine zone that wouldn't be a gimme

NDSU's brand would be one of the top brands in the MWC if Boise State leaves based off of publicly available information such as internet searches and frequency of nationally televised games.
See https://ndsutofbs.com/#brand