Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tenbobnote

NDSU Football Head Coach Matt Entz Wants To Join The Mountain West?

A crazy map of FBS football.  I do feel for NDSU from a geography standpoint.  If they want to go FBS, there are no regional options.

oldconf.jpg?fit=1652,955&ssl=1

1 hour ago, tenbobnote said:

Of course I understand that and that's a huge reason why Oregon's brand is so big. It's also because a lot of people outside of Eugene/Portland are fans too. 

NDSU a pretty big base in Minneapolis and around the region. 

My main point, is that a brand's value does not come from a simple local nielson tv search. A huge metric that I haven't seen you comment on is that NDSU's brand significance is demonstrated rather clearly with how much search traffic they get. 

You guys should stay where you are.  It's better for NDSU to be a big fish in a small pond.  The instant you move to D1, you will lose whatever relevance you have. 

Also, there is simply no way the MW invites you to join.  We aren't interested in adding and we have better options should that change.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

2 hours ago, tenbobnote said:

Of course I understand that and that's a huge reason why Oregon's brand is so big. It's also because a lot of people outside of Eugene/Portland are fans too. 

My main point, is that a brand's value does not come from a simple local nielson tv search. A huge metric that I haven't seen you comment on is that NDSU's brand significance is demonstrated rather clearly with how much search traffic they get. 

You keep repeating this crap and it's simply not true. 

image.jpeg.f4f40905fd55f9b85dcff23de5c77a4b.jpeg

image.png.7136e1fd1373521e89719f453cbc1b5e.png

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

22 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Hey quit bringing real info on here.  We deal with personal impressions to make decisions like conference membership.  Geez.

12 hours ago, lakesbison said:

NDSU has 2 NCAA Tournament basketball wins in last 7 years and 5 appearances.

NDSU track teams are both ranked in TOP 25

NDSU baseball team is top 10 in midwest right now

NDSU Softball has gone to NCAA's 11 straight and has 5 NCAA tourney wins

NDSU wrestling is a top 25 program.

I think NDSU could do all sports mountain west.

Sounds like you all are doing well just where you are.  Why move? If you bring your baseball and softball teams out to Californian you are gonna get run. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

On 4/16/2021 at 8:28 AM, RSF said:

Guess Stunner doesnt realize that NDSU isnt in the west.  Its directly north of Dallas.

More like directly north of Houston. It’s on the Minnesota border. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

8 hours ago, nvspuds said:

13 does nothing for the MW..If Boise or SDSU leave your school does not replace what they bring money wise at all..You get interest during the FCS playoffs because there are fewer FBS games to air but during the season the bulk of the casual fans are looking elsewhere..The MW is a nice regional conference that people out here like..I don't know anybody in the region who looks to NSDU as can't miss tv..

I agree. Nobody in CA is watching NDSU football.  I doubt most even know it exists. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

4 hours ago, tenbobnote said:

If you guys have a following in Minneapolis, why are you trying to join the MWC? Join the MAC which would actually care about the Minneapolis TV market.  Nobody in the MWC cares about the Minneapolis TV market. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

9 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

You didn't do that correctly. You used the "search term" (under NDSU) and not the topic of the football team (like you did with SDSU).

Look below the NDSU search, it needs to say "football team" otherwise it's not going to be apples to apples. 

872927694_ScreenShot2021-04-17at6_35_12AM.png.46851058126e18a79f1209b2fd702f23.png

296626929_ScreenShot2021-04-17at6_35_28AM.png.221b4e87ffa01a75dab5c12127d953cb.png

6 hours ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

If you guys have a following in Minneapolis, why are you trying to join the MWC? Join the MAC which would actually care about the Minneapolis TV market.  Nobody in the MWC cares about the Minneapolis TV market. 

I don't know where I heard this but I was under the impression the MWC has been wanting a central time slot for a while. Can have more of the day filled with MW teams on game day that way.

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, tenbobnote said:

I don't know where I heard this but I was under the impression the MWC has been wanting a central time slot for a while. Can have more of the day filled with MW teams on game day that way.

You are absolutely correct, but the chatter has been Texas.

North Texas is the main competition for Bisons Athletics.

North Texas has an amazing stadium surrounded by 4 fishing ponds.  What about North Dakota State?

Guest #1Stunner

Wouldn't adding one of the South Dakota schools make more sense than North Dakota State? 

Closer geography to the MWC.  Warmer climate down South.

6 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

You are absolutely correct, but the chatter has been Texas.

North Texas is the main competition for Bisons Athletics.

North Texas has an amazing stadium surrounded by 4 fishing ponds.  What about North Dakota State?

I can understand the temptation to want to go to Texas but they're so flooded with football teams, UNT is hardly a program down there.

NDSU is a better choice over UNT financially and from a national brand perspective.

-----

FINANCIAL:
2019 Ticket Sales (huge metric for determining the health of a program)
NDSU: 3.78m
UNT: 1.47m  <-- nobody cares about North Texas football in Texas

2019 Contributions (football only)
NDSU: 1.51m
UNT: .84m

Overall football revenue
NDSU: 6m
UNT: 5.57m 
(1 million is UNT guarantees, something NDSU can't get because no one will play them as long as their FCS)

------

BRAND:

NDSU is twice as popular nationally as UNT:

2000582889_ScreenShot2021-04-17at11_22_50AM.png.f60362fb7b0d0d247289d2872ec91560.png

(especially in MW territory):

2054727082_ScreenShot2021-04-17at11_24_19AM.png.8c52036939995fb5ae534ce751e51848.png

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F0c41_v,%2Fm%2F02wvhps

21 hours ago, tenbobnote said:

One can't know how popular a team is based on metro areas. Dallas has a million college teams, how do you know the market share of a team? It's not by looking at Neilson data. 
Again, I point you to this: 

Pointing to it again doesnt make it true.

And yes, Neilsen data does matter.  Ask TCU and the Big 12.  Its why they added us, because FOX and ESPN liked the numbers.  

And NDSU is not a national brand.  Not even close.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, RSF said:

Pointing to it again doesnt make it true.

And yes, Neilsen data does matter.  Ask TCU and the Big 12.  Its why they added us, because FOX and ESPN liked the numbers.  

I haven't heard a better explanation on this than Matt Brown in this interview. It seems like a nuanced issue. He explains why Rutgers makes sense for the Big 10 (when this matters) but access to markets doesn't matter as much to the MW as drawing raw numbers (something NDSU can do).

Start listening at 24:30 for ~3min
https://www.inforum.com/entertainment/podcasts/6843243-McFeely-Mess-podcast-More-FCS-conference-realignment-coming-Augustana-to-the-WAC-NDSU-to-the-MWC-Its-all-on-the-table-in-this-podcast

Just now, tenbobnote said:

I haven't heard a better explanation on this than Matt Brown in this interview. It seems like a nuanced issue. He explains why Rutgers makes sense for the Big 10 (local numbers matter) but access to markets doesn't matter as much to the MW as drawing raw numbers (something NDSU can do).

Start listening at 24:30 for ~3min
https://www.inforum.com/entertainment/podcasts/6843243-McFeely-Mess-podcast-More-FCS-conference-realignment-coming-Augustana-to-the-WAC-NDSU-to-the-MWC-Its-all-on-the-table-in-this-podcast

Better explanation doesnt make it a good explanation.  The Big 10 added Rutgers not for the ratings but BTN subs.  A completely different subject.  And NDSU doesnt bring numbers of any significance.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Just now, RSF said:

Better explanation doesnt make it a good explanation.  The Big 10 added Rutgers not for the ratings but BTN subs.  A completely different subject.  And NDSU doesnt bring numbers of any significance.

Did you listen? Would you please elaborate on why you think he's wrong?

Already have done that.  Unlike you, I dont feel the need to repeat myself.

Btw...if NDSU is a national brand, why is ESPN loading up on College Softball today?