Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tenbobnote

NDSU Football Head Coach Matt Entz Wants To Join The Mountain West?

Just now, tenbobnote said:

I'll still take Matt Brown over someone who can't objectively look at NDSU

That's all well and good.  

People here are looking objectively at NDSU.  Some like you a lot..Most are unconvinced.  We have 12 schools splitting a pretty small revenue pie right now.  13 doesn't make that any better.  If somebody leaves, there is very little incentive to add.. 

3 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Is Matt Brown from Fargo and does he get paid to write content that you pay for? 

National media guy. I think he's out of Chicago. He's an author and writes a newsletter called 'Extra Points'

@MattBrownEP on twitter

My link was from when he was on a Fargo based podcast

7 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

That's all well and good.  

People here are looking objectively at NDSU.  Some like you a lot..Most are unconvinced.  We have 12 schools splitting a pretty small revenue pie right now.  13 doesn't make that any better.  If somebody leaves, there is very little incentive to add.. 

If NDSU doesn't add to that pie, I'd agree. I think they'd make the pie bigger, though.

18 minutes ago, tenbobnote said:

In the meantime, I'll take Matt Brown over someone who can't objectively look at NDSU

So you'd take Matt Brown over yourself....interesting admission.....

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Just now, tenbobnote said:

If NDSU doesn't add to that pie, I'd agree. I think they'd make the pie bigger, though.

13 does nothing for the MW..If Boise or SDSU leave your school does not replace what they bring money wise at all..You get interest during the FCS playoffs because there are fewer FBS games to air but during the season the bulk of the casual fans are looking elsewhere..The MW is a nice regional conference that people out here like..I don't know anybody in the region who looks to NSDU as can't miss tv..

13 minutes ago, tenbobnote said:

Question, if NDSU is such a hot TV grab, why would they even need to be in the MWC.   Just go Indy, all the different stats you have provided have all kinds what ifs.  Some of the charts were dependent on NDSU being in the MWC and others don't include all the MWC schools.   It's was all designed to put NDSU in the very best possible light in a what if case.  So answer this, how big is the NDSU's conference's current TV contract?

NDSU's perceived 'value' lies in their current ability to run roughshod over a lesser level of competition.  That value disappears if they ever take the next step.  They start over.  Nobody's Googling them anymore, and nobody's rushing to watch them (not that they are now).  They are just another team, and it takes years to build up value.  Ask Boise - they became a name with value the day they beat OU after a decade of building to that point, and continued to build upon that for another decade.  THAT's why Boise is Boise and NDSU is not.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

11 minutes ago, e-zone99 said:

Question, if NDSU is such a hot TV grab, why would they even need to be in the MWC.   Just go Indy, all the different stats you have provided have all kinds what ifs.  So of the charts were dependent on NDSU being in the MWC and others don't include all the MWC schools.   It's was all designed to put NDSU in the very best possible light in a what if case.  So answer this, how big is the NDSU's conference's current TV contract?

Conferences have A LOT more bidding power when they're a collective and NDSU is no Notre Dame so getting a decent contract without collective bargaining would be tough. Plus, scheduling on top of that. It would be a difficult road (is at least the story that's being told).

The MVFC doesn't really have a tv contact. Every team besides SDSU (South Dakota) and mb UNI has a horrible draw and is a big reason NDSU needs out. The local media right value of NDSU has been about 500k/yr (Which, again isn't taking advantage of their national brand but is still likely the highest in the FCS)

25 minutes ago, RSF said:

NDSU's perceived 'value' lies in their current ability to run roughshod over a lesser level of competition.  That value disappears if they ever take the next step.  They start over.  Nobody's Googling them anymore, and nobody's rushing to watch them (not that they are now).  They are just another team, and it takes years to build up value.  Ask Boise - they became a name with value the day they beat OU after a decade of building to that point, and continued to build upon that for another decade.  THAT's why Boise is Boise and NDSU is not.

And by similar logic, Gonzaga has been winning for 2 decades to become the Gonzaga that is nationally known.  And STILL,  both Boise and Gonzaga are talked down because of the perception of the respective conferences.  Case in point, a couple of the threads the day after they lost the national championship on this board.  It would take NDSU a long time to build any level of brand name at the FBS level, just like Gonzaga and Boise in basketball and football.

Guest #1Stunner
59 minutes ago, tenbobnote said:

Never heard of Matt Brown

Guest #1Stunner
45 minutes ago, tenbobnote said:

If no conferences are interested in adding North Dakota State, and if the Bison have a national following like you say, then why is the School to scared too just go Independent?  Move up as an Indy....?

Guest #1Stunner

Realistic Shools that probably outrank North Dakota State on the MWC additions list.

1.  North Texas.  Large enrollment.  Good market.  Good facilities.  Texas recruiting.

2.  Texas State.  See above.

3.  UTSA.   See above.   Commuter school.

4.  Rice.   In Houston.  Good academics.  

5.  Montana or Montana State.  As discussed, Wyoming vs Montana would be a top 5 rivalry, nationally.

6.  Portland State.  They have drugs there.  @Joe from WY

5 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Realistic Shools that probably outrank North Dakota State on the MWC additions list.

1.  North Texas.  Large enrollment.  Good market.  Good facilities.  Texas recruiting.

2.  Texas State.  See above.

3.  UTSA.   See above.   Commuter school.

4.  Rice.   In Houston.  Good academics.  

5.  Montana or Montana State.  As discussed, Wyoming vs Montana would be a top 5 rivalry, nationally.

6.  Portland State.  They have drugs there.  @Joe from WY

Speaking of Montana. Remember when they were the NDSU? Because literally every team with a pulse abandoned D1AA. 

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Speaking of Montana. Remember when they were the NDSU? Because literally every team with a pulse abandoned D1AA. 

Montana is way nicer than North Dakota too

3 hours ago, tenbobnote said:

I disagree.

TV partners aren't licking their chops to add a FCS team to a league so they can get in on that action.

Also, you guys are effing annoying.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

3 hours ago, tenbobnote said:

One can't know how popular a team is based on metro areas. Dallas has a million college teams, how do you know the market share of a team? It's not by looking at Neilson data. 
Again, I point you to this: 

Trust me, Oregon is very popular in the Portland metro area.  If you don't believe/understand that, then that explains a lot about your posts in this thread.

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Never heard of Matt Brown

I've heard of him and read some of his articles.  Nothing special.

51 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Trust me, Oregon is very popular in the Portland metro area.  If you don't believe/understand that, then that explains a lot about your posts in this thread.

I've heard of him and read some of his articles.  Nothing special.

Of course I understand that and that's a huge reason why Oregon's brand is so big. It's also because a lot of people outside of Eugene/Portland are fans too. 

NDSU a pretty big base in Minneapolis and around the region. 

My main point, is that a brand's value does not come from a simple local nielson tv search. A huge metric that I haven't seen you comment on is that NDSU's brand significance is demonstrated rather clearly with how much search traffic they get. 

2 minutes ago, tenbobnote said:

Of course I understand that and that's a huge reason why Oregon's brand is so big. It's also because a lot of people outside of Eugene/Portland are fans too. 

NDSU a pretty big base in Minneapolis and around the region. 

My main point, is that a brand's value does not come from a simple local nielson tv search. A huge metric that I haven't seen you comment on is that NDSU's brand significance is demonstrated rather clearly with how much search traffic they get. 

My guess is that Oregon is much more popular in Portland than NDSU is in Minneapolis.

And, yes, there is definitely brand value outside of a team's metro area.  Notre Dame, for example, pulls lots of interest from all over the country, not just from South Bend to Chicago.

I agree with (I think) Jack who said earlier that NDSU in the MWC is a much different animal than as the top FCS team in the country. 

Let's assume for a moment that you're right in thinking that NDSU could compete for a MWC title right away.  Let's say they were in the MW for the 2021 season and were to lose in the conference championship game.  My guess is that search traffic for that would be significantly less than what they've seen in prior years as an undefeated FCS champion with a QB likely to be drafted in the first round of the draft.