Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebels2k3

OT: UTEP hires Joe Golding

3 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Just checked and it took him eight years to "turn around" Abeline Christian.

...Abeline Christian was one of the worst schools in the country when he took over. Come on...

4 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

That may be true but Rodney Terry did a good job at Fresno State but he couldn't do shit at UTEP.

A lot of D1 coaches are successful at one school and don't do well at the next stop.  Sometimes it's just bad luck - injuries, grades, kids transfer.  D1 basketball is incredibly competitive, and righting the ship once it's going the wrong direction is an even bigger challenge.  I didn't watch a lot of Terry's teams at UTEP so i don't know exactly what the issue was.  UT has deep pockets so i am sure he'll be just fine.  

11 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Just checked and it took him eight years to "turn around" Abeline Christian.

You also need to include the fact that he brought ACU up from D2. 
He took them to the NCAA tournament the 2nd year they were eligible and they won a game in their first 5 years of postseason eligibility.

It’s hard to imagine that any team has ever done that.

17 hours ago, bigd said:

You also need to include the fact that he brought ACU up from D2. 
He took them to the NCAA tournament the 2nd year they were eligible and they won a game in their first 5 years of postseason eligibility.

It’s hard to imagine that any team has ever done that.

UAB did even better under Gene Bartow, but that was 40 years ago. I think he had them in the Elite 8 in the fifth year of the program. 

i just went back and looked it up. Bartow had UAB in the Elite 8 in the fourth year in program history and the Sweet 16 in year three. It has been all downhill from there.