Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebels2k3

OT: UTEP hires Joe Golding

4 hours ago, PlayersinVegas said:

They should have went with Jans, but Jans would have left quickly he's a great coach and I'm surprised he's still in Las Cruces

Jans is a great coach.  I'm happy NMSU gets him for a fifth season.  He is underpaid though for the product he puts on the court.  I was relieved to see Golding got the job.  The Baylor assistant was in the mix too.  

4 hours ago, PlayersinVegas said:

They should have went with Jans, but Jans would have left quickly he's a great coach and I'm surprised he's still in Las Cruces

Ehhh NMSU coaches haven't really worked out so well for anyone.

If UTEP ever got their shit together it would be cool to get them back in the conference. The problem is they've sucked in basketball and football for so long. Even SJSU has been showing higher upside lately.

30 minutes ago, bigd said:

If UTEP ever got their shit together it would be cool to get them back in the conference. The problem is they've sucked in basketball and football for so long. Even SJSU has been showing higher upside lately.

SJSU has won a MWC football championship while Nevada has never even played in a MWC football championship game in it's history.  SJSU is showing higher upside and our future appears bright with Coach BB in football and Coach Miles in basketball.  GO SPARTANS!

48 minutes ago, ashnel said:

SJSU has won a MWC football championship while Nevada has never even played in a MWC football championship game in it's history.  SJSU is showing higher upside and our future appears bright with Coach BB in football and Coach Miles in basketball.  GO SPARTANS!

Great, because it hasn't been much of a Rivalry on I-80 

11 hours ago, alum93 said:

Everything is relative.  I would take UTEP over ACU every single time, especially if i was a coach with an eye on moving up.  

The Florida Gulf Coast coach moved up to USC and has done well. Now that's a move up. ACU to UTEP doesn't make any sense to me. I doubt CUSA pays that well. Trading one one-bid league for another. I don't get it.

I guess FGCU got two tourney wins instead of just one for ACU, but still...

16 hours ago, bigd said:

I think Menzies did fairly well at UNLV, The Canadian not as much. Jans is a great coach and won every where he's been even as assistant coach

6 hours ago, PlayersinVegas said:

I think Menzies did fairly well at UNLV, The Canadian not as much. Jans is a great coach and won every where he's been even as assistant coach

Weir had exactly one year head coach experience when UNM hired him.  He had a phenomenal season at NMSU, but that team was set up to win with a WAC POY senior PG and really good supporting cast.  All the players knew the system.  Weir had never built a team from the ground up as a head coach, and we all saw what happen when he tried.  I think he drastically underestimated his own abilities when he kept going after high level transfers, some with baggage, to get them to assimilate and play as a unit.  Players can be great one on one, but if they don't play team ball or have really poor attitudes it doesn't matter.  

9 hours ago, Spot50B said:

The Florida Gulf Coast coach moved up to USC and has done well. Now that's a move up. ACU to UTEP doesn't make any sense to me. I doubt CUSA pays that well. Trading one one-bid league for another. I don't get it.

I guess FGCU got two tourney wins instead of just one for ACU, but still...

UTEP has a national championship banner hanging and a coach in the hall of fame.  They have tremendous basketball history, a lot of it with the schools still in the MWC.  They have had a bad run the last decade, missing on the last 2 head coaches.  Floyd had potential coming from NBA and P5, but he couldn't keep his star recruits on campus.  ACU has just moved up to D1 and has no history outside of beating Texas in the NCAA.  The coach absolutely made the right choice, and if he has any level of success he will be embraced big time in El Paso and be able to turn it into a million dollar gig with a lower level P5 within a few years.  

There is no comparison in size of city.  UTEP plays in a 13,000 seat stadium.  ACU plays in a 5,500 seat stadium.  Long term,  for a coach looking to move up the D1 ladder, there is no comparison.  ACU is joining the WAC starting next year, so play would have been similar to CUSA.  But you can't really compare the basketball programs.   UTEP was the easy choice, even if ACU had matched the salary.

1 hour ago, alum93 said:

UTEP has a national championship banner hanging and a coach in the hall of fame.  They have tremendous basketball history, a lot of it with the schools still in the MWC.  They have had a bad run the last decade, missing on the last 2 head coaches.  Floyd had potential coming from NBA and P5, but he couldn't keep his star recruits on campus.  ACU has just moved up to D1 and has no history outside of beating Texas in the NCAA.  The coach absolutely made the right choice, and if he has any level of success he will be embraced big time in El Paso and be able to turn it into a million dollar gig with a lower level P5 within a few years.  

There is no comparison in size of city.  UTEP plays in a 13,000 seat stadium.  ACU plays in a 5,500 seat stadium.  Long term,  for a coach looking to move up the D1 ladder, there is no comparison.  ACU is joining the WAC starting next year, so play would have been similar to CUSA.  But you can't really compare the basketball programs.   UTEP was the easy choice, even if ACU had matched the salary.

yes yes yes, and that's a reason Jans wanted to leave NMSU for the 200k salary increase you can do good in Conf USA and still move up, the new Wac will be more competitive than it's been. They are getting Stephan F Austin

12 minutes ago, PlayersinVegas said:

yes yes yes, and that's a reason Jans wanted to leave NMSU for the 200k salary increase you can do good in Conf USA and still move up, the new Wac will be more competitive than it's been. They are getting Stephan F Austin

Jans signed an extension after the UTEP announcement.  His base pay is now $584k and that doesn't include performance incentives.  So he will clear $600k+ a year.  I'm sure schools will be calling again next off season if he wins 25 games and/or takes NMSU to the NCAA again.  The man can flat out coach.  The AD has tried hard to get what he can for Jans.  I am glad he will be back for a 5th season.  WAC 1.0 with USU, Boise, Nevada was fun for NMSU.  WAC 2.0 not so much, but the top 2-3 schools improved.  WAC 3.0 will be more competitive at the top half with NMSU, SFA, ACU, UVU, GCU, CBU.  If Billy G. stays at Tarleton, they will ramp up quickly.  But my guess is he will make a similar move to ACU coach sooner rather than later.  And he's coached in B12 and SEC.  

Chicago State was really bad for the conference rankings and they are no longer in the WAC moving forward.