Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

All Time Great Movies You Haven’t Watched Yet

10 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Bruv... you sure you're even Murcan? :blink: That's a veritable list of some of the best movies in the history of American cinema.

I would humbly suggest rectifying this error by watching the three bolded movies. Gone With the Wind is gamey, but if you're down with It's a Wonderful Life you should have no problem staying engaged (it took me 3-4 months to read Margaret Mitchell's original work, which as with most movies, ruined the cinematic adaptation).

I don’t think It’s a Wonderful Life deserved that.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I don’t think It’s a Wonderful Life deserved that.

Similar to GWTW IMO in the sense that it's as much about the (at times lengthy-feeling) journey as it is the destination.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

6 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I’ll have to check them out. They are like Hans Solo prequels or something right? 

I think they came after he was Han Solo, but pretty much. Just the most charismatic dude in the world doing adventure stuff and fighting Nazis. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

8 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Similar to GWTW IMO in the sense that it's as much about the (at times lengthy-feeling) journey as it is the destination.

Yeah, but Scarlett sucks. George Bailey kicks ass. Her comeuppance is good to watch once. Everyone coming to George’s rescue never gets old.

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Yeah, but Scarlett sucks. George Bailey kicks ass. Her comeuppance is good to watch once. Everyone coming to George’s rescue never gets old.

Scarlett's journey is a microcosm of the shfit in the cultural landscape of the antebellum South. It is without equal in this regard. 

Read Margaret Mitchell's work and get back to me.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Scarlett sucks.

Yeah but does she swallow?

I saw Citizen Kane in my college history of the cinema class. At the time, I thought it was the most overrated movie ever. But having seen it for a second time a couple months ago on TCM, 

. . . I still thought it was the most overrated movie ever. Rosebud my ass.

52 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Yeah but does she swallow?

I saw Citizen Kane in my college history of the cinema class. At the time, I thought it was the most overrated movie ever. But having seen it for a second time a couple months ago on TCM, 

. . . I still thought it was the most overrated movie ever. Rosebud my ass.

I think it’s status is all historical film geek stuff. Yeah Quentin, we get the way this scene was shot was mind melting at the time. But also, it was his sled.

4 hours ago, Los_Aztecas said:

Raiders of the Lost Ark is a perfect movie. The quintessential popcorn flick. If entertainment is what you're after they don't get much better.

When things get back to normal make sure to look up your local symphony when they do a movie night. Before everything got shut down my wife took me to see Raiders of the Lost Ark in Concert hosted by the Visalia Symphony Orchestra for a date night. It was awesome to sit in our historic Fox Theater and watch Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark with a full orchestra playing the soundtrack in the background.

Raiders.jpg.30c7317b12a0c71f1fbd648d76185191.jpg

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

5 hours ago, NVGiant said:

I just looked at this list from the Hollywood Reporter. And some that stick out that I haven't seen:

Taxi Driver

Blade Runner

Thelma & Louise

To Kill a Mockingbird (I have read the book)

It's a Wonderful Life

Lawrence of Arabia

Chinatown

Those are all great. You need to watch them.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

10 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I’ll have to check them out. They are like Hans Solo prequels or something right? 

Raiders is legit. You won't be disappointed.

10 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I think they came after he was Han Solo, but pretty much. Just the most charismatic dude in the world doing adventure stuff and fighting Nazis.

With a bunch of mythology come true stuff too.