Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

All Time Great Movies You Haven’t Watched Yet

8 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I’ll judge by the number of facepalms I get how urgently I need to rectify this.

Apocalypse Now

No facepalm from me, but it’s definitely worth a watch. IMO it was the first step in our coming to terms with what we’d been through in Viet Nam. I’ve seen all the different versions. I like the first (shortest one) the best. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

21 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I’ll judge by the number of facepalms I get how urgently I need to rectify this.

Apocalypse Now

You have never seen it? Are you one of those pansies that can’t watch war movies cause it makes your tummy hurt?

I will tell you a couple of things that are nuts about it. It was filmed in the 1978-79 time frame made in the Philippines, but FFC wanted to film it 10 years earlier in Vietnam in the jungle using most real soldiers really fighting with a few actors inserted in with them. Try getting a staff to help you with that film. Also, helicopters that came off the water to blow all that shit up were actually fighting a war with some rebels some miles a away in the mountains. So they’d do a movie run then fly up and kill some rebels then do another fly by shot for the movie. The ox they sliced in half was real. 

This movie has very little historical value in terms of what happened there. It’s just really twisted entertainment. But that doesn’t stop idiots from thinking this WAS Vietnam. When you look at the vet polls at what movie was closest to their experience, Platoon scores the highest. But that movie hasn’t aged well. In fact, it’s pretty stupid to me now. Way too cheesy Hollywood’ized with dumb characters. We need a April 9, Dunkirk, 1917, or at least a Fury, Private Ryan, Band of Brothers for Vietnam. We’ll get one eventually. 

kat.jpg

8 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

You have never seen it? Are you one of those pansies that can’t watch war movies cause it makes your tummy hurt?

I will tell you a couple of things that are nuts about it. It was filmed in the 1978-79 time frame made in the Philippines, but FFC wanted to film it 10 years earlier in Vietnam in the jungle using most real soldiers really fighting with a few actors inserted in with them. Try getting a staff to help you with that film. Also, helicopters that came off the water to blow all that shit up were actually fighting a war with some rebels some miles a away in the mountains. So they’d do a movie run then fly up and kill some rebels then do another fly by shot for the movie. The ox they sliced in half was real. 

This movie has very little historical value in terms of what happened there. It’s just really twisted entertainment. But that doesn’t stop idiots from thinking this WAS Vietnam. When you look at the vet polls at what movie was closest to their experience, Platoon scores the highest. But that movie hasn’t aged well. In fact, it’s pretty stupid to me now. Way too cheesy Hollywood’ized with dumb characters. We need a April 9, Dunkirk, 1917, or at least a Fury, Private Ryan, Band of Brothers for Vietnam. We’ll get one eventually. 

The filming in the Philippines was 76-77. Released 79. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

9 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

We Were Soldiers was pretty good. I thought they did a good job showing the horrors of napalm.

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

8 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

A Clockwork Orange, Citizen Kane

16 minutes ago, azgreg said:

I watched Clockwork Orange for the first time the other day. What a weird movie.

Read clockwork orange. I love Kubrick, but he doesn’t even come close to capturing the themes of the novel. It’s a very surface-level interpretation. Burgess goes deep. The book is prescient and relatable to now in a lot of ways. One of my favorite things about it is that the first page makes almost no sense because he’s writing it in nadsat, but you learn the language as you go. Make sure you get a copy with the 21st chapter included. 

Goodfellas, Schindler’s List, Rebel without a Cause, Godzilla vs. Kong

1 hour ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Read clockwork orange. I love Kubrick, but he doesn’t even come close to capturing the themes of the novel. It’s a very surface-level interpretation. Burgess goes deep. The book is prescient and relatable to now in a lot of ways. One of my favorite things about it is that the first page makes almost no sense because he’s writing it in nadsat, but you learn the language as you go. Make sure you get a copy with the 21st chapter included. 

Goodfellas and Schindler’s List are properly rated. It’s hard to recommend Schindler’s List because it’s tough to just casually watch it. Your wife ends up crying and looking at you as a psycho for subjecting her to it. The good news is the 3rd act is way more life affirming and uplifting than what gets remembered about the movie.

Goodfellas is fun and you need to rectify that.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

I've never seen Citizen Kane either. 

Ditto.   Just watched "Mank", the b/w film starring Gary Oldman, who played the (alcoholic) writer of that movie.   As a story it was hard to watch, but Oldman's acting chops have never been in doubt.   Whatever level of disinterest I had in the story aside, the dude is just a really, really good actor.  I guess the point here is that watching that film has actually had the opposite intended effect that I had hoped for: instead of having a greater desire to watch Citizen Kane, the net result is that sitting through that movie has (significantly) lessened it.  Go figure...

1 hour ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

You should definitely watch Schindler's, but, man, Goodfellas is an absolute must.  I have yet to come across anyone (male) that hasn't thought it was a damn good movie...  

4 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Anything Harry Potter (not my thing)

Anything past the first and second LOTR (not my thing)

Any featured film starring Cardi B (sorry @halfmanhalfbronco

The fact you consider any Harry Potter movie and/or Cardi B story as candidates for GOAT movies says more about you than the fact you haven't watched them. :ph34r:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg