Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BleedRebelRed

Top MWC college towns

What are the top "college towns" in the MWC? (pick more than one)   

79 members have voted

1. 1. Top MWC College Towns

• Fort Collins
    • Boise
    • Honolulu
    • San Diego
    • Laramie
    • Logan
    • Colorado Springs
    • Reno
    • "Las Vegas, Albuquerque, and San Jose" (added so that @SalinasSpartan can participate)

When I think of a college town I think of a town where the college is the major employer, the students make up half the population, and not much else is going on that doesn’t involve the college. That eliminates about 90% of the above list. I don’t see Boise as a college town, but it is way moreso than San Diego. Moscow and Pullman are college towns. 

55 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Logan doesn't have enough drinking establishments to qualify...

Agree 100%.. Logan is off the beaten path. Beautiful. Mountains. Friendly farming/blue collar community. Just not enough watering holes. 

I went with Boise. They are more city than town but their downtown scene, music, pubs are  sweet. Right next to the stadium. 

I like Ft Collins too but I consider them part of the overall blob aka Denver Metro.

2 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

My top three were Las Vegas, Albuquerque, and San Jose; this poll is bullshit.

Your concerns have been addressed in the poll.  If nothing else, now only Fresno is excluded which may please some SJSU fans.

As for what defines a "college town" for those schools in metropolitan areas, to me it is the campus and the area surrounding the campus.  I've spent a lot of time in ABQ the area around the campus seems safe and has great breweries, pubs, and restaurants.  The area around SJSU seemed OK... but the area around UNLV (in "Paradise") is kind of sketchy.

Las Vegas should be last, I'm not arguing it's any kind of college town, but you can immediately disregard any list or person that talks about Paradise, NV as an actual place. 

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

Yeah I was going to say, the rest of the MWC outside of those aren't what I'd consider a "college town" in the sense it's traditionally thought of.

That said, that list is ridiculous. Miami? San Antonio? Boca? Orlando? San Jose? Memphis? etc. etc. C'mon now.

Wait, so a guy with the twitter handle @ATL_Boomer1990 might not be the best authority on what a good college town is?

1 hour ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Your concerns have been addressed in the poll.  If nothing else, now only Fresno is excluded which may please some SJSU fans.

As for what defines a "college town" for those schools in metropolitan areas, to me it is the campus and the area surrounding the campus.  I've spent a lot of time in ABQ the area around the campus seems safe and has great breweries, pubs, and restaurants.  The area around SJSU seemed OK... but the area around UNLV (in "Paradise") is kind of sketchy.

I was being tongue in cheek, I don’t consider those 3 (or Fresno, San Diego, Honolulu, Reno, or Boise) college towns. 

What's the criteria? I was thinking sunshine and beaches, that's why I voted for San Diego and Honolulu. If it's bars and broads, then Vegas and Reno, hands down! If it's whore houses and stripper bars, then it's Vegas/Albuq/San Jose.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

+++++ they have Houston on there twice. Which Houston is the better of the two?

I would say UHouston, Houston, not Houston, URice.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

The only three cities I've lived in that had colleges: 

1. University of Nevada. We all know where.

2. Oklahoma State in Stillwater. Eskimo Joe's is a legend.

3. Cal Poly-SLO. Didn't actually live in San Luis Obispo- lived in Pismo Beach. But spent alot of time in SLO town.

6 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

When I think of a college town I think of a town where the college is the major employer, the students make up half the population, and not much else is going on that doesn’t involve the college. That eliminates about 90% of the above list. I don’t see Boise as a college town, but it is way moreso than San Diego. Moscow and Pullman are college towns. 

Agreed.  I disqualified most of the list (including my hometown of Boise) for not fitting my definition of a college town.  Of the actual college towns on the list, I picked Logan because of the ones I've been to, I liked it best, mostly for its natural beauty.