Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Chauvin trial.

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Fuuuuuuu

The judge is a dumb shit for not sequestering the jury where they wouldn’t be hearing anything from the outside. Plus this trial only went two weeks where some jurors in these high profile cases get sequestered for months. Then he makes this comment. 🙄

https://nypost.com/2021/04/19/judge-in-chauvin-trial-says-waters-comments-could-lead-to-appeal/

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

The judge is a dumb shit for not sequestering the jury where they wouldn’t be hearing anything from the outside. Plus this trial only went two weeks where some jurors in these high profile cases get sequestered for months. Then he makes this comment. 🙄

https://nypost.com/2021/04/19/judge-in-chauvin-trial-says-waters-comments-could-lead-to-appeal/

You're kind of living in the past.  Jury sequestering is dying out - even in high profile cases.  There are a lot of issues articulated in just this one 2017 article (Bill Cosby trial).  

https://www.thecut.com/2017/06/sequestered-jury-psychological-toll-cosby-trial.html

Think of the "withdrawals" a sequestered juror has to go through nowadays.  Not only with family, but with all social media and, especially, their smartphone.  Sounds silly, but you try going 3, 4, 5 weeks without that (let alone being around family).  Good luck with that one.  Like it or not, we ALL probably have pretty much become addicted to our phones these days.  Simply not being able to talk to daily and friends or stay current on some news, etc., would make me go bat-shit crazy myself.  Plus, I'd probably want to "murder" the dopes that voted differently than me!!!  

Anyway, in the Chauvin trial, the jury has been subject to partial sequestration throughout.  Now that deliberations are underway, they will be fully sequestered for the balance of their time...  

Maxine Waters is an idiot and Chauvin is guilty. 

I’m claustrophobic so I get why Floyd struggled when they tried to put him in the car. He thanked Chauvin for taking him out of the car. Chauvin then proceeded to murder him while Floyd pleaded for his life and mercy.  Terrible tragedy. I still don’t think it had anything to do with Floyd’s race though. Chauvin was just a bully. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

13 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

This is true. Downtown SF is totally boarded up right now and Oakland has been the site of intermittent rioting over the last several days. I'm really rooting for them to hang a charge on this prick so I can go buy art this weekend instead of worrying about dodging flaming projectiles.

I miss SF/Oakland. I used to hang out until 2/3 am,  sleep for a couple hours, work all day, go home and take a nap, and then wake up and do it all over again. I live in a quiet suburb now, and staying up past 10:30 is sort of pointless. 

Using individual criminal cases as referendums on national issues like police reform is bad. 

I'm glad most of the Mexicans and Central Americans in my town don't give two shits about this case. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Just now, NVGiant said:

Looks like the jury already did what it was tasked to do!

If they convict, all of the supposed liberals cheering at another person in prison will be a little hard to swallow. Facts of the case aside. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

If they convict, all of the supposed liberals cheering at another person in prison will be a little hard to swallow. Facts of the case aside. 

I just wanted to make a dig at Lawlor. Buzzkill.

5 minutes ago, tspoke said:

The quick turnaround of the jury favors the prosecution in this trial I think. 

That’s the consensus on the networks too

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

I just wanted to make a dig at Lawlor. Buzzkill.

LOL, dig away. 

I haven't followed all the technicalities, I do hope he is found guilty of something serious. Granted, Mr Floyd could have died anyway, but there's no excuse for the way this officer was so callous in his treatment of Mr Floyd.

110926run_defense710.jpg

20 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

You have to think a verdict this quick is guilty. A prolonged deliberation would probably only happen if the jury was debating wether or not he was guilty of the lesser charge. 

It's been two days.  That isn't quick.

I'm wondering if the reason they are waiting until 5:00 to read the verdict is to allow more time for LE to prepare and get equipment and personnel in place.   

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 minute ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

It's been two days.  That isn't quick.

I'm wondering if the reason they are waiting until 5:00 to read the verdict is to allow more time for LE to prepare and get equipment and personnel in place.   

Courts like to recess and reconvene for all sorts of random reasons, including the desires of the judge. I also don't think the jury - the only people who actually know the verdict - would have any say in when the court reconvened. Don't read too much into that. 

1 minute ago, modestobulldog said:

I haven't followed all the technicalities, I do hope he is found guilty of something serious. Granted, Mr Floyd could have died anyway, but there's no excuse for the way this officer was so callous in his treatment of Mr Floyd.

I feel the same way.  But murder always seemed like a bit of a stretch to me.  I'm guessing the manslaughter charge sticks. 

If he walks on all charges, cities will burn. 

If he's convicted on all charges, there will be an appeal.  Perhaps a successful one. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama