Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Chauvin trial.

10 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Possible but I would not bet on it at this point.

You've only seen one side of the argument so far though. Defense hasn't brought any witnesses forward yet.  After the prosecution is finished, they'll have days and dozens of witnesses to plant the seed of "reasonable doubt". 

25 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I'm gonna have to bring you back a long, long time ago, slowhiteguy, to a time when America was on top of the world, when we had the globe by the balls, and when we were united in beating fascists. that time was 1945-1946 where it was pretty conclusively demonstrated that just following orders while committing horrific acts was not a valid defense.

Happy, STFU with the Nazi crap and go back 9 months and find whatever happened to that string of lynchings that was sweeping the nation.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

5 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Happy, STFU with the Nazi crap and go back 9 months and find whatever happened to that string of lynchings that was sweeping the nation.

No one knows. Weird, it's like the people in charge of investigating them had some kind of stake :hmmm:

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

6 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

You've only seen one side of the argument so far though. Defense hasn't brought any witnesses forward yet.  After the prosecution is finished, they'll have days and dozens of witnesses to plant the seed of "reasonable doubt". 

I will be following and will be interested to see what the defense has up their sleeves.  Again, certainly would not bet on anything other than the murder 2 charge sticking at this point, if people placed money on such morbidity. 

35 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

21mag-screenland-jumbo-v2.gif

lol. sure bud. tell me how "it was in the training" is a good defense for murder. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

45 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I will be following and will be interested to see what the defense has up their sleeves.  Again, certainly would not bet on anything other than the murder 2 charge sticking at this point, if people placed money on such morbidity. 

The defense has already said:

1) Floyd complained about breathing several times before he was put on the ground

2) He had taken drugs immediately prior to being stopped and the amount of fentanyl in his system was three times the amount needed to kill him

3) The City pathologist report indicated cause of death was cardiac arrest due to the drugs in his system

4) Photos from different angles showed the cops knee was at the top of his back/shoulders and not on his neck. 

How much of this is accurate is debatable. The big problem for the defense is Floyd was already completely subdued lying on his stomach with cuffs on behind his back and there was no reason to put your knee on wherever for eight minutes. My gut tells me he gets convicted for manslaughter with a 2-3 year sentence, or it’s a hung jury. 

22 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

1) Floyd complained about breathing several times before he was put on the ground

2) He had taken drugs immediately prior to being stopped and the amount of fentanyl in his system was three times the amount needed to kill him

3) The City pathologist report indicated cause of death was cardiac arrest due to the drugs in his system

4) Photos from different angles showed the cops knee was at the top of his back/shoulders and not on his neck. 

How much of this is accurate is debatable. The big problem for the defense is Floyd was already completely subdued lying on his stomach with cuffs on behind his back and there was no reason to put your knee on wherever for eight minutes. My gut tells me he gets convicted for manslaughter with a 2-3 year sentence, or it’s a hung jury. 

Seems those points were shot to hell today.  Biggest one IMO will be his saying he was having breathing problems in the back of the car.  That's their best defense it seems.

15 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Seems those points were shout to hell today.  Biggest one IMO will be his saying he was having breathing problems in the back of the car.  That's their best defense it seems.

They were indeed shot to hell. For those commenting here and that didn’t actually listen today, IMO, you really missed out on some of the most compelling testimony you could ever expect to hear.  I mean, I learned a lot today on the subject of breathing and didn’t even “want to” you know?  it was nevertheless pretty enlightening...

Although the circumstances surrounding the need for said testimony is the absolute shits of the world (what Floyd had to endure was sheer torture, plain and simple), I find it hard to believe there will be enough to refute all that was said by Tobin today. His was a master class.  So many watching the trial have already said (commented on) it.  And I think the science matters.  This witness got in front of so many aspects of the defense’s case.  It was truly a brilliant day for the prosecution...

26 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

They are starting to say "neck area" instead of "neck."

It will be interesting to see how the defense handles Dr Tobin's testimony.  He seemed to be assuming too much. 

3 times the amount of fentanyl needed to be considered a lethal dose may be enough for a juror to feel a bit of 'reasonable doubt.'

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

42 minutes ago, happycamper said:

lol. sure bud. tell me how "it was in the training" is a good defense for murder. 

Whatever happened here, this wasn’t the holocaust. The defense rests, your honor.

liar-liar-3.gif

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

52 minutes ago, sjsbuff said:

They were indeed shot to hell. For those commenting here and that didn’t actually listen today, IMO, you really missed out on some of the most compelling testimony you could ever expect to hear.  I mean, I learned a lot today on the subject of breathing and didn’t even “want to” you know?  it was nevertheless pretty enlightening...

Although the circumstances surrounding the need for said testimony is the absolute shits of the world (what Floyd had to endure was sheer torture, plain and simple), I find it hard to believe there will be enough to refute all that was said by Tobin today. His was a master class.  So many watching the trial have already said (commented on) it.  And I think the science matters.  This witness got in front of so many aspects of the defense’s case.  It was truly a brilliant day for the prosecution...

Kept me glued all day.  It was a fascinating evisceration of all the points the defense was going to make.

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

It will be interesting to see how the defense handles Dr Tobin's testimony.  He seemed to be assuming too much. 

3 times the amount of fentanyl needed to be considered a lethal dose may be enough for a juror to feel a bit of 'reasonable doubt.'

The 3 times thing is BS.  That would be for a tiny 80 pound woman who had never taken a vicodin before.  It was shown today to be lower than 94% of DUI cases involving the drug and well, well lower than that 94% almost all OD cases.  He was a big man, with tolerance.

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Assuming too much?  Hardly.  Tobin made a lot of scientific assertions, all of which appeared to be well-established. I think the prosecution was wise to not bury the jury in minutia in that regard, but if push comes to shove, I have no doubt that his widely-held positions can be further established, if necessary.  I mean, the defense sort of shit the bed in its cross examination of him.  Just watch/listen to it. They made no headway against his testimony whatsoever...

IMO, that doesn’t bode well for their own “experts” down the road because, again, Tobin came across as both honest and very “kind professor“ in his approach to his testimony. I think the average layperson appreciates not being talked over (intellectually). It would be foolish to underestimate how much this sort of thing can weigh with a jury. In this case, I’d venture a guess, it will be a tremendous positive for the prosecution...

Curious. Do you not think Chauvin is guilty of any of the charges?  Or are you just playing devils advocate here???

5 minutes ago, sjsbuff said:

Assuming too much?  Hardly.  Tobin made a lot of scientific assertions, all of which appeared to be well-established. I think the prosecution was wise to not bury the jury in minutia in that regard, but if push comes to shove, I have no doubt that his widely-held positions can be further established, if necessary.  I mean, the defense sort of shit the bed in its cross examination of him.  Just watch/listen to it. They made no headway against his testimony whatsoever...

IMO, that doesn’t bode well for their own “experts” down the road because, again, Tobin came across as both honest and very “kind professor“ in his approach to his testimony. I think the average layperson appreciates not being talked over (intellectually). It would be foolish to underestimate how much this sort of thing can weigh with a jury. In this case, I’d venture a guess, it will be a tremendous positive for the prosecution...

Curious. Do you not think Chauvin is guilty of any of the charges?  Or are you just playing devils advocate here???

The cross examination of Tobin was a disaster for the defence.  They seemed lost, confused, and amateur.  

5 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The cross examination of Tobin was a disaster for the defence.  They seemed lost, confused, and amateur.  

Yeah. Nelson was choking in his cross, both figuratively and literally. Trying to get Tobin to stipulate that the circumstances could change by the millisecond was sort of a “Captain Obvious” statement - you know, about life in general.  I mean, I can’t recall specifics, but Tobin shut him down on more than one occasion...

1 minute ago, sjsbuff said:

Assuming too much?  Hardly.  Tobin made a lot of scientific assertions, all of which appeared to be well-established. I think the prosecution was wise to not bury the jury in minutia in that regard, but if push comes to shove, I have no doubt that his widely-held positions can be further established, if necessary.  I mean, the defense sort of shit the bed in its cross examination of him.  Just watch/listen to it. They made no headway against his testimony...

IMO, that doesn’t bode well for their own “experts” down the road because, again, Tobin came across as both honest and very “kind professor “ in his approach to his testimony. I think the average layperson appreciates not being talked over (intellectually). It would be foolish to underestimate how much this sort of thing can weigh with a jury. In this case, I’d venture a guess, in a positive way for the prosecution...

I think he's guilty of something.  I'm not sure it is murder.  

I don't believe this is the slam dunk that some here seem to believe it is.  There is a long way to go. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 minute ago, sjsbuff said:

Yeah. Nelson was choking in his criss, both figuratively and literally. Trying to get Tobin to stipulate that the circumstances could change by the millisecond was sort of a “Captain Obvious” statement about life in general...

Today kinda felt like the scene of the last rap battle in 8 mile.  Everything the defense was going to argue was torn to shreds.  

17 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I don't believe this is the slam dunk that some here seem to believe it is.  There is a long way to go. 

I mean, it’s not THAT long of a way to go. 

18 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Yes there is.  Fair enough...