Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Heroes get remembered, but legends never die

Man, do I love that movie.  I had a summer just like that movie where I moved to a new town and I met friends through playing ball in the neighborhood.  I had already known how to play, but the theme of a sport creating such a great few months was very similar.  

Closing in on 30 years, damn does time fly.

5 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Man, do I love that movie.  I had a summer just like that movie where I moved to a new town and I met friends through playing ball in the neighborhood.  I had already known how to play, but the theme of a sport creating such a great few months was very similar.  

Closing in on 30 years, damn does time fly.

Sports are awesome like that. I moved from Kentucky to California when I was in 5th or 6th grade. People were surprisingly nice to the hillbilly who could shoot a basketball. Everyone else caught up to my early growth spurt a year or so later, but the friendships stuck around until I moved to Wyoming 5 years later.

Better than the Goonies, and it's not even close.

Also, less #problematic, if that matters to you. Kenny wearing the KC Monarchs hat is a cool thing. Pretty diverse group of kids playing baseball. I guess the woke remake would include people not letting Kenny go to the pool or people calling Benny The Jet some anti-hispanic racial slur. It would be more race-central I guess, which would ruin it.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

They just did a reunion here in Utah not that long ago at the field the movie was recorded on.  I wasn’t able to make it but my nephews and nieces all got photos with a good chunk of the cast.

Some of those guys had rough lives and careers after the movie. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 years ago I went to a Dodger game against the Giants and the Sandlot had a reunion. The cast did a race around the bases and Patrick Renna (Ham) faceplanted while rounding second. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

One of two things related to baseball I actually like. The other being Major League.

There's also been a couple sequels to Sandlot, which follow the same overall storyline, with a few differences. Like one where the new Sandlot gang faces off against a girl's softball team for use of the field.

Just now, son of a gun said:

One of two things related to baseball I actually like. The other being Major League.

There's also been a couple sequels to Sandlot, which follow the same overall storyline, with a few differences. Like one where the new Sandlot gang faces off against a girl's softball team for use of the field.

No love for Bull Durham?

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

There's too much cocaine in Hollywood, add in constant Wall Street pressure, and the mix doesn't lead itself to much in the way of creativity, as we've seen with the remakemania.

Everything is a remake anymore. Or a remake of a remake. Like music's downhill slide, I blame it on the fact that the studios and the like are all big publicly traded companies obsessed with quarterly profits. Why take a chance on something new and bizarre when you can churn out the same old shit and make X amount of money instead, with little of the risk and please the hedge funds and pension funds who hold most of your equity?

demonstrably false.

in the 80s, i snorted tons of cocaine and traded millions on wallstreet and i managed to produce zero hollywood remakes.

On 4/7/2021 at 11:18 AM, retrofade said:

pEepIFv.png

My son is in little league and this is one of the movies he enjoys watching. And I still love this movie.

2 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

There's too much cocaine in Hollywood, add in constant Wall Street pressure, and the mix doesn't lead itself to much in the way of creativity, as we've seen with the remakemania.

Everything is a remake anymore. Or a remake of a remake. Like music's downhill slide, I blame it on the fact that the studios and the like are all big publicly traded companies obsessed with quarterly profits. Why take a chance on something new and bizarre when you can churn out the same old shit and make X amount of money instead, with little of the risk and please the hedge funds and pension funds who hold most of your equity?

I think it was Frank Zappa said hippies fcuked up music. He said, after the 60s/70s, artistic creativity in recording studios died. The hippies became the corporate suits who insisted that they knew what everyone wants to listen to.

I think he is spot on. And it applies to film as well