smltwnrckr

Move over bears and wolves... steelhead in the Los Angeles River?

Lot of talk about conservation here lately. 

I saw a recent article online by national geographic but it was behind a wall. So found this one,  little older but saying the same thing. 

Interesting idea. 

https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2020-10-05/conservationists-want-to-build-a-fish-passage-through-downtown-los-angeles-for-steelhead-trout

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

It's LA so it will be bumper to bumper trout mouth to tail fin 24/7 and take 5x as long as it should to get there.

steelhead-trout_1600.jpg

Then when they get to the headwaters, they'll spend hours telling each other what routes they took to get there. 

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Those smolt are hard to keep off the line at times out here.  

It's a very rare site here. It's only the second time I've ever seen one, and I spend a lot of time in the boonies. Of course very few of the watercourses in SoCal are perennial, and the larger ones that are have dams.

• Like 1
Just now, soupslam1 said:

If you’ve ever seen the LA River you wouldn’t say that. I’m not sure you can even call it a river. It’s more a concrete drainage channel that is a trash dumping ground. 

It is right now.  Which is why they are looking at spending billions to rectify it.  Which is very cool.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It is right now.  Which is why they are looking at spending billions to rectify it.  Which is very cool.

You won’t stop the derelicts from using it as a dumping ground and a place to live. It’s the LA River, not the Boise River. 

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

If you’ve ever seen the LA River you wouldn’t say that. I’m not sure you can even call it a river. It’s more a concrete drainage channel that is a trash dumping ground. 

What makes it more of a river than the Boise River?