Joe from WY

US considering boycott of 2022 Beijing Olympics?

On one hand, it'd suck, because I love the Winter Olympics, but on the other hand, this is the sort of "cancel culture" I can get behind.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/06/us-considering-joining-boycott-of-2022-beijing-olympics.html

Nothing there as of yet, as to the particulars. But it'll be up soon enough, I'm sure.

• Like 1

Very interesting. It would certainly send a pretty powerful message. 

I also just read that Lithuania is going to move forward with recognizing the Uyghur genocide, despite China threatening sanctions. 

• Like 4

I'd only be in favor if many nations boycotted and held an alternate games simultaneously at say, Lake Placid or somewhere. China needs to pay, but screwing over athletes sucks, too. Some of these people train their whole lives for this. The athletes didn't ask to be thrust into the middle of a political situation.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 2

It would be a shame. The Olympics are supposed to be above politics. Yeah I know naive. The only ones I feel sorry for are the athletes and parents/fans that get to watch the worlds best young people compete in games not war. 

When I first saw the news is was totally on board, but then I thought about the 1936 olympics, and how we went to Berlin and embarrassed the hell out of Hitler with Jesse Owens. Could we do something like that with China? Like, have a team of a bunch of Chinese Americans compete? I really just want to stick it to China in any way possible. Don't want to screw over the athletes, but also don't want to ignore China's human rights violations.

5 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

The real problem is the IOC granting Olympic games to countries like China and Russia to begin with.

Same with FIFA and awarding the World Cup to Russia and Qatar.

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

The real problem is the IOC granting Olympic games to countries like China and Russia to begin with.

20 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Same with FIFA and awarding the World Cup to Russia and Qatar.

Follow the money.

And I know y'all probably know that.

1 hour ago, Naggsty Butler said:

When I first saw the news is was totally on board, but then I thought about the 1936 olympics, and how we went to Berlin and embarrassed the hell out of Hitler with Jesse Owens. Could we do something like that with China? Like, have a team of a bunch of Chinese Americans compete? 

A nice concept, in theory, but unfortunately I think our pool of Chinese-American winter athletes is on the thin side.

2 minutes ago, RSF said:

Follow the money.

And I know y'all probably know that.

A nice concept, in theory, but unfortunately I think our pool of Chinese-American winter athletes is on the thin side.

Oh I know, especially with FIFA. Both Russia and Qatar should have been stripped of their respective World Cups after all of the bribery stuff came out.

59 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

After reading this thread the Olympic ideal of competition between the worlds best athletes without regard to politics was a pipe dream. Not a surprise given the makeup of this board. 

MWCBoard Conservatives: OMG JOE IS OWNED BY CHINA, HE NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THEM AND THEIR HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS!

Biden Administration: We're considering boycotting the Olympics for those reasons.

MWCBoard Conservatives: NO NOT LIKE THAT!

• Like 3
22 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

It would be a shame. The Olympics are supposed to be above politics. Yeah I know naive. The only ones I feel sorry for are the athletes and parents/fans that get to watch the worlds best young people compete in games not war. 

Genocide is above politics, too.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

Do you buy products made in China? 

I am sure  I do.  So many parts of products are made there, even if you make a point of not buying "made in China" you will assuredly be purchasing things made there.

Is your point unless the US completely halts trade with China and forbides Chinese products, IP, or research we can not make a symbolic gesture to highlight freaking genocide?

If that is your take, it is a dumb one.

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I am sure  I do.  So many parts of products are made there, even if you make a point of not buying "made in China" you will assuredly be purchasing things made there.

Is your point unless the US completely halts trade with China and forbides Chinese products, IP, or research we can not make a symbolic gesture to highlight freaking genocide?

If that is your take, it is a dumb one.

My point being if you feel that strong about not holding the China Olympics because of genocide in China why are you buying Chinese goods?