Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoubleBlueGold

It's Official!!! Miles is HC at SJSU!!!

17 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Of course you love Bozeman. It's California.

Gainesville is +++++ing crazy. Truly the Kabul of Southern College Towns.

Ha!  Maybe you are right, but if you are an outdoorsman, the place is perfect.  Great rivers, good skiing, right next to Yellowstone. 
One of my sons best friends from HS is in Bozeman going to MSU right now.  We visited recently and skied at Big Sky.  Nice nice place. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

2 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Yeah, but there's a lot of swamps and people who have spent too much time in said swamps. The Swamp people are crazier than the Mountain people. It's close, though. They'd probably get along pretty well with each other.

You also have a lot of drug money there too. Which brings a whole other sort of crazy.

I believe you. I never spent any time in Florida or any swamp country. Young California mountain folk are among the craziest folk I have any experience with. But I'll concede that the Florida swamps probably out-do them. I wonder at what point it is a matter of preference.

I guess the thing about Florida is you get the hillbillies on the beach, which is a whole new level of party. West Coast mountain folk tend to prefer the river or the reservoir over the beach. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

7 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

My uncle built the Apple Farm from a small trashy 70's greasy diner with a motel 6 quality hotel around it, and expanding down the street into what it became in the late 80's to today. I had friends from HS going to Cal Poly working there and didn't even know it was my uncles place. About 15 years ago he retired and sold it off for $125 million, but last I was there the owner seemed to be keeping it up to spec.

https://www.applefarm.com/

Wow! That’s incredible. That place is historic. I’ve got family in SLO, so I get to visit quite often. One of my nieces is in school there now. She’s from Santa Cruz and likes that the place is “hillbilly” as you guys call it.  She’s says she’s happy to be at a college she can wear her cowboy boots too. Btw, she’s quite the equestrian and passed on all the UC’s (yes, even Cal and UCLA) to go to SLOtown.  She grew up as a kid with one set of her grandparents living there, so she always wanted to go to school there.

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

3 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

There's better places in Montana, believe me. Boz Angeles sucks ass.

Big Sky is pretty cool, I'll admit. I got stuck on a chairlift there tripping on mushrooms once and I've always had a sort of endearment toward it since then.

I went to a rodeo once in Big Sky. I hate rodeos, and it was even worse than the real rodeos that I hate. It was basically a dog and pony show for tourists. Also, the disparity between the property owners and the service industry was pretty wild. Beautiful place, though. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

9 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

There's better places in Montana, believe me. Boz Angeles sucks ass.

I’ve been all over Montana, Idaho, Wyoming. What’s your favorite town in Montana?

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

1 minute ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Wow! That’s incredible. That place is historic. I’ve got family in SLO, so I get to visit quite often. One of my nieces is in school there now. She’s from Santa Cruz and likes that the place is “hillbilly” as you guys call it.  She’s says she’s happy to be at a college she can wear her cowboy boots too. Btw, she’s quite the horseback rider and oases on all the UC’s (yes, even Cal and UCLA) to go to SLOtown.

I've got pics of me my parents and aunt and uncle showing us the greasy shitty diner they just bought with their dream of building a resort. That was about the summer of 1978. He's a really smart guy. In HS he won a national essay contest Disneyland put on regarding how they would envision the future of Disneyland. So he won a lunch with Walt Disney, and he asked him to come work for him. But my uncle turned him down and told him he was Jewish anyway. LOL, no he didn't say that, but he turned him down. He wanted to create his own thing. 

kat.jpg

5 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I'd rank California Mountain People in my top 3 of Crazy US people. They are batshit crazy. No argument from me there. But yeah, the hot weather and access to beaches definitely adds to the madness. Like, you have a denser amount of crazy hillbillies in a flat, hot place with lots of things to shoot and lots of places to get drunk and raise hell. It's a recipe for insanity.

Like I said, the only reason I smile when I hear Big Sky was based on a strange 2 day drug trip I took up there with a bunch of old hippies. If not for that, I'd have nothing really good to say about that place at all either.

Had a great time skiing there this winter.  Cold as all hell though. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

4 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

It's all touristy bullshit there. I like the Rodeos just for the pageantry of it in rural Montana. They're as batshit crazy as anything else, especially in places like Central Montana where it's real hicks doing the same real hick things they've done for 150 years. But Big Sky/Bozeman is like the worst of everything. It's one giant overpriced tourist trap shithole trying to sell "the cowboy lifestyle" to dumb Californians and New Yorkers who go there to see the mountains.

The ironic thing is there are a ton of hillbillies in California and NY who would feel right at home there. But you know that. 

Jordan. Or Harlowton.

3rd Place would probably be Dillon.

I’ve been to Dillon. Liked it. I’ll check out the others. Thanks for the tip. 

What’s your favorite town in WYO? Talking about rodeos, I’ve always liked Sheridan. Ofc I like to ski and vacation in Jackson Hole. I know. Big tourist place. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

8 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Meeteetse and Cody.

I've always like Sheridan too, though.

Love Cody. It’s cowboy but that’s WYO

Always thought Sheridan would be a nice place to retire (but as a CA I’d freeze my ass off).  I was just there last summer. I like that Buffalo Union coffee shop and get a kick out of the Surf Wyoming shop.  Couple good bars too. Nice little town. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

It's true. California is basically Oklahoma off the coast, and it's been always crazy to me what a bunch of hicks people are in Upstate New York. Like it's half mind-boggling.

Upstate NY is a weird place, in and of itself. You get out into those tiny towns named after characters in Greek tragedies, or some name from Roman history, where there's a mill or factory from the 1870s still standing that closed in the 1970s, and it's like another world. Still gonna be a Chinese food place out there, though.  

16 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

I've got pics of me my parents and aunt and uncle showing us the greasy shitty diner they just bought with their dream of building a resort. That was about the summer of 1978. He's a really smart guy. In HS he won a national essay contest Disneyland put on regarding how they would envision the future of Disneyland. So he won a lunch with Walt Disney, and he asked him to come work for him. But my uncle turned him down and told him he was Jewish anyway. LOL, no he didn't say that, but he turned him down. He wanted to create his own thing. 

Damn. That’s a good story. I love the Apple Farm. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

My uncle built the Apple Farm from a small trashy 70's greasy diner with a motel 6 quality hotel around it, and expanding down the street into what it became in the late 80's to today. I had friends from HS going to Cal Poly working there and didn't even know it was my uncles place. About 15 years ago he retired and sold it off for $125 million, but last I was there the owner seemed to be keeping it up to spec.

https://www.applefarm.com/

SLO is an awesome town. I'm very familiar with that area. First started going to pismo as a kid riding quads at the dunes. Had plenty of friends go to Cal Poly, so we would visit often on big weekends. They would do the same for bulldog football games and certain themed frat parties. Awesome story about the Apple Farm!

BDS.jpeg.b92a1351cc7ee6a0de0c311059007356.jpeg

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

Meeteetse and Cody.

I've always liked Sheridan too, though.

And I should tell you, I'm a 5th Generation Montanan. I don't know how friendly Jordan or Harlo would be if you rolled through. Honestly, unless you know someone in Garfield County there's no point in going to Jordan. Same could be said about Harlo and Wheatland County, too, though. There's a great brewery in Harlo now, though. If you do know people in those places, though, it's about like going out on a night in the town in rural Afghanistan. Crazy as +++++.

You now live in San Francisco, right? How did a 5th generation Montanan end up in the city by the bay?  That’s quite a culture change. 

Ive got some SJSU married friends that did the exact opposite. Their families have a long history in CA and they moved to the Black Hills of South Dakota. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

16 hours ago, Eat_Your_Dried_Fruits said:

SLO is an awesome town. I'm very familiar with that area. First started going to pismo as a kid riding quads at the dunes. Had plenty of friends go to Cal Poly, so we would visit often on big weekends. They would do the same for bulldog football games and certain themed frat parties. Awesome story about the Apple Farm!

The next time I go home I'll get some Apple Farm pics as it started. It was originally just a restuaraunt and then when with a hotel and started buying neighboring properties to expand it. 

kat.jpg

I really don't mind that this thread was hijacked. Got a good mental layout for my eventual trip to the Big Sky region.

22 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Greyhound. I currently sleep in a box down South of Market.

Sounds like you fit in perfectly there these days. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

On 4/8/2021 at 4:48 PM, Joe from WY said:

It's true. California is basically Oklahoma off the coast, and it's been always crazy to me what a bunch of hicks people are in Upstate New York. Like it's half mind-boggling.

Guess you've never been to the Palos Verdes Peninsula or Pacific Palisades in SoCal...

On 4/9/2021 at 8:55 PM, Joe from WY said:

Greyhound. I currently sleep in a box down South of Market.

Lucky for you the other-side of Mrkt is nice now...