Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoubleBlueGold

It's Official!!! Miles is HC at SJSU!!!

15 hours ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Thanks. It feels like SJSU has finally stepped up to join the MWC in men’s basketball.  We Spartan fans are happy to finally get in the game.  It will take a few years, but hopefully we won’t be embarrassing the MWC much longer in regards to men’s hoops.  We can hope now. 

You’re making the Big Sky all hot and attracted to you. 

kat.jpg

On 4/6/2021 at 2:33 PM, SharkTanked said:

I don't know about futility. Rice has had Boise in the champ mix most seasons. The guy has been solid for BSU, but it does seem like he is on a downward trend lately. BSU isn't ever really gonna be a hoops school tho, so that can limit what a coach can do too.

In comparing Miles at CSU to Leon at BSU, Miles just had slightly more success, and then plateaued. So I still say Miles has a slightly higher ceiling, but not by much. 

I am kind of surprised BSU keeps hanging on to Leon, given he has clearly hit his ceiling and regressed, but that is part of what proves BSU ain't even gonna be a hoops school. They are fine with just being in the mix.

He got us to a new level but he's stuck there IMO.   I was hoping the portal would make up for his shortcomings with talent but not so much yet.

4 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

UCSB is great and sorry to disappoint the Gaucho but this place wins.

Amazon.com: Campus Images CA944 Pepperdine University Lithographic Print:  Home & Kitchen

Malibu is beautiful, and Pepperdine is a great school. But I don't think I would call any of those places particularly "cool." Too rich. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

3 hours ago, roughrider said:

SLO is the town

Great town. Not on the beach, tho. 

BTW, Davis is the best college town in the state. Everyone knows that. Kneel to the king. 

Chico is second place, if only because the townies there are bat +++++ing shit crazy. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

SLO is the best college town in CA and it’s not close.  Davis is a distant second. 

Santa Cruz County is the coolest beach area in CA. The true Surf City.

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

3 hours ago, sancarlosaztec said:

Just watched the presser. Love this guys energy. 

He’s gonna make SJSU basketball better and that’s gonna help the entire league.  If men’s basketball can start bringing in some revenue (at least pay for itself), it will help the entire SJSU athletic dept. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

1 minute ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

SLO is the best college town in CA and it’s not close.  Davis is a distant second. 

I spent significant time in both. SLO is great, but Davis is a better college town. I'd allow some dissent, but the idea that Davis is "distant" as a second means this may not be a serious convo. 

Also, as stated - don't sleep on Chico. Great college town, and also much wilder than Davis or SLO because of the Deliverance factor. 

This is correct. 

1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

Chico > Davis only because the townies are batshit +++++ing crazy.

It's true.

Arcata has to be up there too. SLO is nice enough but too hillbilly for my tastes.

Hillbilly? Do you know how much homes cost in SLO these days? True that CP is part AG school, but they make that cool with the equestrian center they have and all the property they own. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

2 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Chico > Davis only because the townies are batshit +++++ing crazy.

It's true.

Arcata has to be up there too. SLO is nice enough but too hillbilly for my tastes.

I have family in Chico and also multiple college pals of mine were from Chico-adjacent places (Durham, Paradise, etc.). So I spent a lot of time out there in college. Wild, wild place if you end up in the right/wrong corner. Great fun, though. Good people, if a little nuts. Sounds like your kinda place.

Arcata is a great town too, but I feel like it's a little niche. A lot of (wrong) people find it boring, I think. But when I was an undergrad, my buddies and I maybe 3 or 4 times would take a road trip up the coast, cross over into Ashland to catch a play, stay a night or two around Shasta and then come back home down I-5. On the way up, every time we stayed a night in Arcata planning to camp out but would always meet up with a cool group who would let us crash at their place or in the dorms. That town/campus has such a great vibe. 

3 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Houses in Bozeman, MT are expensive too these days, but it doesn't change the fact the place is too hillbilly for my tastes.

The whole school is either rich suburban kids from LA/the Bay or rich hillbillies from the Valley. The area is pretty but the people aren't my cup of tea.

Honestly, though, Gainesville is funner than any college town in CA IMO. And that isn't close.

SLO is totally hillbilly. 

2 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I spent significant time in both. SLO is great, but Davis is a better college town. I'd allow some dissent, but the idea that Davis is "distant" as a second means this may not be a serious convo. 

Also, as stated - don't sleep on Chico. Great college town, and also much wilder than Davis or SLO because of the Deliverance factor. 

This is correct. 

The town of SLO is really fun.  Just a nice pretty small town. I’ve had a bunch of my family go to school there, so I’m biased I’m sure. 

Never had that much fun in Davis but I’ll admit to be an old guy on this.  I got accepted to UCD and chose SJSU over it back in the day.  UCD was a real cow college with ugly women back then and all their sports were D2.  My frat chapter in SJ installed the one at Davis back in the day, so I did hang out there some.

....and yes, I know how great a school UCD is and I do sometimes regret my decision.  Times and things change. UCD is more popular now than it was back then.

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

4 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Honestly, though, Gainesville is funner than any college town in CA IMO. And that isn't close.

No mountains, so no mountain people. A party in Paradise full of kids from Chico State was a thing to behold back in the day. As was a party at a Chico State house with kids from Paradise. 

8 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Houses in Bozeman, MT are expensive too these days, but it doesn't change the fact the place is too hillbilly for my tastes.

The whole school is either rich suburban kids from LA/the Bay or rich hillbillies from the Valley. The area is pretty but the people aren't my cup of tea.

We just have different tastes because I love Bozeman. 

Not going argue about Gainesville. That place is epic. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

The town of SLO is really fun.  Just a nice pretty small town. I’ve had a bunch of my family go to school there, so I’m biased I’m sure. 

Never had that much fun in Davis but I’ll admit to be an old guy on this.  I got accepted to UCD and chose SJSU over it back in the day.  UCD was a real cow college with ugly women back then and all their sports were D2.  My frat chapter in SJ installed the one at Davis back in the day, so I did hang out there some.

....and yes, I know how great a school UCD is and I do sometimes regret my decision.  Times and things change. UCD is more popular now than it was back then.

Hey man, I love SLO. One of my favorite towns in the world. I just don't know if I think it's a better college town than Davis.

I got to be there at a nice time... before they got a Whole Foods, but after they were a really small cow town. And before the 80s, it really was like that... not much going on. My mom also chose SJSU over Davis back in the day. It was RIGHT after Davis became a full school and not the UC farm.

You're right that times have changed, though. When I went to Davis, it was lower on the UC hierarchy than it is now. So I get to benefit from the hard work going on up there that I didn't contribute to!

21 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

My uncle built the Apple Farm from a small trashy 70's greasy diner with a motel 6 quality hotel around it, and expanding down the street into what it became in the late 80's to today. I had friends from HS going to Cal Poly working there and didn't even know it was my uncles place. About 15 years ago he retired and sold it off for $125 million, but last I was there the owner seemed to be keeping it up to spec.

https://www.applefarm.com/

kat.jpg