Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoubleBlueGold

It's Official!!! Miles is HC at SJSU!!!

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Turns out building programs doesn’t happen overnight, and winning is hard in the B1G, who woulda thought? What a dumbass take.

At Nebraska he had the program built enough to be in the NCAA Tournament in his second year. He was there for five more years without going back. Apparently sustaining the winning is hard too. 

1 hour ago, WYO1016 said:

Tim Miles finally gets another MW head coaching gig! Now we just have Joe Pasternick on the "who will be the next coach at x school" list. Looking at you, Fresno.

Since Pasternack was not hired by Utah, Indiana or even UNLV - He's either a 10+ year coach in California's coolest beach town, or his next stop is a power conference job. That's how it goes with us. 

Hard to leave this behind

image.png.fdf1db47b83fe704e14daa011ffe519c.png

19 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Since Pasternack was not hired by Utah, Indiana or even UNLV - He's either a 10+ year coach in California's coolest beach town, or his next stop is a power conference job. That's how it goes with us. 

To be fair, UNLV is pretty terrible at hiring basketball coaches

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

21 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Since Pasternack was not hired by Utah, Indiana or even UNLV - He's either a 10+ year coach in California's drunkest beach town, or his next stop is a power conference job. That's how it goes with us. 

Hard to leave this behind

image.png.fdf1db47b83fe704e14daa011ffe519c.png

FIFY

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

59 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

At Nebraska he had the program built enough to be in the NCAA Tournament in his second year. He was there for five more years without going back. Apparently sustaining the winning is hard too. 

In the B1G it absolutely is. Do you have anything to add to this discussion that isn’t stupid, obvious, or obviously stupid?

Hearing him talk at the presser is getting me pumped! I'm excited!

Just now, jdgaucho said:

It can be both

I always found Santa Cruz to be a cooler town. But IV has its charm. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

8 hours ago, Dogs4Me said:

I like having SJSU in the same conference as FS...I love to hate those guys and never want to lose touch with them, a great rivalry is all about love and hate.

Right back at you Dog. Its a good rivalry. 

Btw, if you guys can start sending those bus loads of old blue haired ladies in the Red Wave to Fresno St @ SJSU basketball games again, it would surely be appreciated. We’ve got a new coach we’ve got to pay for and could use your help! :P

All kidding aside, glad that our rivalry is heating up again. I’ve made my fair share of drives to Fresno to catch our games together, it’s great for both schools when our teams are good enough for that to happen. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

On 4/6/2021 at 1:58 PM, sancarlosaztec said:

Great hire!  Congrats!  SJSU is on an upward trajectory. 

Is there anyone in the MWC that doesn't know Tim Miles is a good coach?   Don't think so. 

Thanks. It feels like SJSU has finally stepped up to join the MWC in men’s basketball.  We Spartan fans are happy to finally get in the game.  It will take a few years, but hopefully we won’t be embarrassing the MWC much longer in regards to men’s hoops.  We can hope now. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

Any contract deals yet?

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

14 minutes ago, 1IvyDog said:

Any contract deals yet?

Haven’t heard anything yet, but Miles killed it at the introductory presser today.  As someone posted on the Spartan board, “I saw more smiles and energy from Tim Miles in 30 minutes than I saw the past 4 years combined”. 

Tim Miles is exactly what the doctor ordered to fix SJSU hoops and the man has a ton of respect for the MWC.  He knows that it’s his job now to lift up SJSU hoops and that by doing so it helps the entire conference.  He talked about getting the MWC back to where it was when the conference would get 4-5 bids to the NCAA tourney.  Says SJSU is gonna do it’s part to make that happen.

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

So, here's the press conference.

Two things struck me.  The first is that if I'm a Spartan fan I'm pretty excited about the new coach.  He at least says the right things.  The second is that if I'm a Spartan fan I'm calling for firing the head of the A/V club.  Dear God, that was poorly produced.

https://watchstadium.com/live/san-jose-state-mens-basketball-tim-miles-introductory-press-conference/

8 minutes ago, Claude G said:

It's a five year deal.  Financial terms are still being discussed.  He hasn't signed his contract yet.

No signed contract, and they had a press conference?  Ummm, I hope this works out.

10 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Two things struck me.  The first is that if I'm a Spartan fan I'm pretty excited about the new coach.  He at least says the right things.  The second is that if I'm a Spartan fan I'm calling for firing the head of the A/V club.  Dear God, that was poorly produced.

https://watchstadium.com/live/san-jose-state-mens-basketball-tim-miles-introductory-press-conference/

Weird. Their stuff has been notably good over the past couple years. Do they have different staffs for football and basketball?

11 hours ago, Headbutt said:

First part, absolutely!!

Second part, that may have been out of their control. With all the extra demand for bandwidth and online comm being used, not just on the campus but all over. I think we all have experienced and unexpected freeze, slowdown or drop on Zoom, Teams, Skype etc that's out of our control even when we have the right tech setup and bandwidth.

23 hours ago, Amaru523 said:

That's a fact huh?

Our FB coach has had ONE covid ravaged season (a season where everything was off), but he's already put together some of the best recruiting we've EVER seen at UNLV and had both classes ranked 2nd in the MW.

Our BB coach just got hired a couple weeks ago, but has already gotten off to a better start than our 2 previous coaches, by far. He also has his potential Hall of Fame Father by his side, and if you don't think that's a big deal, then brace yourselves. Also, nobody cares if Kevin will be "holding his Daddy's hand", all we care about are wins, if Kevin needs his Daddy's help, so be it, whatever works. The last time Lon was at UNLV, we were part of the Big 3 that dominated the MW.

Finally, just about every Rebel fan has said congratulations to SJSU for this hire, its a great hire for THEM, but Miles is a coach that has just TWO NCAA tourney appearances in 15 years as a D1 head coach, not exactly lighting the world on fire.

Let's come back to this in about 3 years and see who's hires are better.

Have a sweet drink of tea and settle down Bublo. UNLV is recruiting well, but just ask Team Hot Dog Babysitter how well that worked for him. 

kat.jpg