Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Boise area housing Prices

Guest #1Stunner
26 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Not sure I'd want to live in Kansas but Nebraska would be alright.

There might be plenty of land still available in southern Nevada and Arizona but the entire Southwest has been getting hotter and hotter so I wonder how younger people are going to be able to afford the electric fees associated with cooling their homes in those states. Same for low deserts areas of California and there, water shortages are also going to be a big problem unless the state starts building some more major water projects.

My understanding is the solar panels on the roof are all the rage to deal with that.

But that the utilities aren't happy that they are losing revenue from people using solar power, so they are trying to raise taxes, or something. 

2 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Not sure I'd want to live in Kansas but Nebraska would be alright.

There might be plenty of land still available in southern Nevada and Arizona but the entire Southwest has been getting hotter and hotter so I wonder how younger people are going to be able to afford the electric fees associated with cooling their homes in those states. Same for low deserts areas of California and there, water shortages are also going to be a big problem unless the state starts building some more major water projects.

West Virginia and Appalachia may be the ticket if you want cheaper but not to live in the shitty plains or something.

Posted Image

20 hours ago, utenation said:

Nah, I disagree 100%.  During the crisis lenders and loan officers got to pick appraisers, their favorite ones. LO's and realtors told the Appraisers what the house needed to appraise for to make deals work.  Lots of kick backs and shady characters.  There were lot's of artificial inflated values out there.  This was a big reason the HARP program was created by the feds to bail out underwater customers. 

Now at Banks, they use a third party for appraisers and have them on a rotation. LO's can't really talk to appraisers and there is a heavy review system before the appraisal is deemed good.. 

If there was no appraisal fraud, why go to all the trouble of what I listed above?

BTW, The Federal bailouts of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae showed it wasn't just sum prime lending that had issues.

You are correct regarding appraiser influence but you're incorrect about the severity of it's effect. If an appraiser is pushed to "overvalue" a house somewhat, the borrower pays a relatively trivial amount more in a mortgage payment, especially when the loan was some sort of ARM where they were paying only interest for 3 years. People didn't lose their houses en masse because their house payment was extra $20 or $50. They lost their houses because their mortgage went from an interest only payment of $1200 to $3200, 3 years in. People said nah to that and walked away from their houses. Sure, there were and are instances of sincere fraud, but those were not what crashed the system. 

As far as the government fixing the problem by increasing appraisal oversight...well, they gotta go after somebody to make it look like they're doing something, and we know they sure as hell aren't going to meaningfully punish the banks. Fun fact...it was Andrew Cuomo that started the push for the appraisal regs your talking about right before he decided to run for governor.

35 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Or Orange County

I’m curious as to how many of the “centrists” on this board have been to former Soviet block / Warsaw Pact countries to witness first-hand how amazing those housing projects were. :) 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
27 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I’m curious as to how many of the “centrists” on this board have been to former Soviet block / Warsaw Pact countries to witness first-hand how amazing those housing projects were. :) 

1200px-Panel_Khrushchev_house_in_Tomsk.j

16 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I've never been to that area, but saw some in Paris and Naples.  They didn't look much different than some of the ones in places like Chicago.  In the end, there is typically never enough money to keep them adequately maintained, and businesses move away, leaving bleak economic opportunity.  There are articles of Paris tearing some of theirs down for the same reasons America has taken down some of ours.

I will say that NYC has some that seem to still be a doing well and serving its purpose in a healthy manner, but I notice they are around safe neighborhoods with higher private ownership and places with jobs available.

40 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I'm curious how many "libertarians" on this board have been to Orange County to witness first-hand how "amazing" endless condos and homogenous culture can be. 

9 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

I'm curious how many "libertarians" on this board have been to Orange County to witness first-hand how "amazing" endless condos and homogenous culture can be. 

Lol - not even comparable. JFC

22 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I've never been to that area, but saw some in Paris and Naples.  They didn't look much different than some of the ones in places like Chicago.  In the end, there is typically never enough money to keep them adequately maintained, and businesses move away, leaving bleak economic opportunity.  There are articles of Paris tearing some of theirs down for the same reasons America has taken down some of ours.

I will say that NYC has some that seem to still be a doing well and serving its purpose in a healthy manner, but I notice they are around safe neighborhoods with higher private ownership and places with jobs available.

I’ve been to all those cities and public housing projects are, as you put it, bleak. But the ones I saw in Russia were by far the most bleak. 

5 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I’ve been to all those cities and public housing projects are, as you put it, bleak. But the ones I saw in Russia were by far the most bleak. 

I think it's fascist you're making fun of Russian housing. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

11 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

It's why American public housing projects are on their last legs, by and large.  The are mothballing most of them, and the dollars are going towards vouchers, incentivizing private developers to have X% of units being available to lower income workers through LIHTC, and other permit or zoning allowances that require affordable housing.  Low income density has proven to be an utter failure, dispersal is showing pros and cons, but it dissipates some of the larger affects, and heavily reduces class and racial segregation at the public policy level.

9 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

I think it's fascist you're making fun of Russian housing. 

It’s a very “faschiable” thing to do in my circles. 

12 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

It's why American public housing projects are on their last legs, by and large.  The are mothballing most of them, and the dollars are going towards vouchers, incentivizing private developers to have X% of units being available to lower income workers through LIHTC, and other permit or zoning allowances that require affordable housing.  Low income density has proven to be an utter failure, dispersal is showing pros and cons, but it dissipates some of the larger affects, and heavily reduces class and racial segregation at the public policy level.

Man, you’re really lucky our old friend Comrade @Boise fan isn’t around to see your post. You’d be called a greedy enslaver of women and children for having that point of view.