Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Boise area housing Prices

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Detroit, Baltimore and Camden will give you properties if you take care of the property.  I've been tempted to do it, but too much risk.

Same with Chicago Police, even though they have to live within the city limits they pass for nicer areas.  

8 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Because all the Bay Area people are heading out to the Valley in droves again. Not that it ever really stopped, but it ebbed for a while. The Pandemic kicked it into overdrive. Rental prices around even places like Modesto are +++++ing crazy right now. In fact, I probably pay about here for rent what I'd pay there.

The L.A. Times article I read also attributed the increase to the many Bay Area white collar jobs which have been altered in the last year. More so than positions being eliminated, the reason has been companies greatly downsizing their office space and having jobs which once required living in or commuting to the City, the East Bay or Silicon Valley be performed out of employees' homes.

So Fresno has a legit housing boom! Who'da thunk it?

3 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Definitely not relocating Californians, right @halfmanhalfbronco???

Part of it.  Californians will move here regardless of more MDU's being built, though.  Again, it is Californian homeowners moving here and paying cash, or people investing and renting out the properties.  Not people who can't afford an apartment in California.  

Housing scarcity a big part as well.

36 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

The L.A. Times article I read also attributed the increase to the many Bay Area white collar jobs which have been altered in the last year. More so than positions being eliminated, the reason has been companies greatly downsizing their office space and having jobs which once required living in or commuting to the City, the East Bay or Silicon Valley be performed out of employees' homes.

So Fresno has a legit housing boom! Who'da thunk it?

This pandemic could end up saving rural America. Small towns like Shoshone, Idaho, Bishop, California, Ely, Nevada, and Cheyenne, Wyoming could experience a telecommuting boom from people who either want to return to their small hometowns or change their lifestyle. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

9 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

This pandemic could end up saving rural America. Small towns like Shoshone, Idaho, Bishop, California, Ely, Nevada, and Cheyenne, Wyoming could experience a telecommuting boom from people who either want to return to their small hometowns or change their lifestyle. 

Already seeing it here in many Idaho towns.

9 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Part of it.  Californians will move here regardless of more MDU's being built, though.  Again, it is Californian homeowners moving here and paying cash, or people investing and renting out the properties.  Not people who can't afford an apartment in California.  

Housing scarcity a big part as well.

Haha, I was just giving you a hard time. I do think if CA had more MDU's in these high value CA markets(Coastal) there would still be homeowners who move, but I don't think it would be this intense because values wouldn't be so ridiculous. MDUs don't replace single family units but they seem to effect the values or else there would be more acceptance of their development in this region. Also have to consider how much home you can get for say $600k-$750k anywhere in SoCal west of the 5 vs what you can get for the same in a rising city like Boise (kinda your point). You arent wrong about who is moving to ID but I still think lack of MDUs is a factor. 

Just now, AztecSU said:

Haha, I was just giving you a hard time. I do think if CA had more MDU's in these high value CA markets(Coastal) there would still be homeowners who move, but I don't think it would be this intense because values wouldn't be so ridiculous. MDUs don't replace single family units but they seem to effect the values or else there would be more acceptance of their development in this region. Also have to consider how much home you can get for say $600k-$750k anywhere in SoCal west of the 5 vs what you can get for the same in a rising city like Boise (kinda your point). You arent wrong about who is moving to ID but I still think lack of MDUs is a factor. 

Some factor, sure.  I can't really complain.  Price on the home with my name on it went up 38k this month, and the dream is to sell at the right time and move to the mountains.

Seems strange home building contractors aren’t on a building spree in Boise and the surrounding area. It’s not like there isn’t land available. OTOH I admit I know very little about what it takes to get a development approved. 

Ive got to think housing in Mountain Home costs aren’t anything like they are in Boise and the commute is a lot easier than commuting from Nampa and Caldwell. Although the military guys from the air base require housing. 

2 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Seems strange home building contractors aren’t on a building spree in Boise and the surrounding area. It’s not like there isn’t land available. OTOH I know nothing about what it takes to get a development approved. 

sam rockwell blow GIF

13 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Seems strange home building contractors aren’t on a building spree in Boise and the surrounding area. It’s not like there isn’t land available. OTOH I admit I know very little about what it takes to get a development approved. 

Ive got to think housing in Mountain Home costs aren’t anything like they are in Boise and the commute is a lot easier than commuting from Nampa and Caldwell. Although the military guys from the air base require housing. 

Have you seen the price of lumber lately, or even the wait times for windows?

My next door neighbor has been waiting 7 months for hurricane rated windows, likely the lowest demand and highest cost window out there.  

5 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

My next door neighbor has been waiting 7 months for hurricane rated windows, likely the lowest demand and highest cost window out there.  

The lumber is CRAZY!

13 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Bingo. In Utah a lot of smaller home builders went out of business with the last recession. It hasn’t fully recovered.  Very volatile business. Lots of up front costs with a good chance of not getting paid. 

8 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

What’s driving up lumber costs? Let me guess, environmentalists and getting a cutting permit from the Forest Service. 

Pretty much all Covid related. Covid restrictions at saw mills and lumber companies. Along with all the do it your self population being stuck at home working on projects. Finally, new home demand has never been this high.

14 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

What’s driving up lumber costs? Let me guess, environmentalists and getting a cutting permit from the Forest Service. 

Covid.   Lots of places quit cutting.  Lumber is temporarily really expensive.