bignasty

Gonzaga should have joined the MWC

1 hour ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

And still a more recent win in the NCAAs than BYU. 

I'm also not touting superiority of Hawaii's basketball team. It hasn't been relevant forever. I'm a UK guy in hoops. We've got 8 titles. 

so shouldn't you be the last fans to throw stones about undefeated teams not getting a title in recent history?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, happycamper said:

so shouldn't you be the last fans to throw stones about undefeated teams not getting a title in recent history?

They choked in 2015, but I’m not out here making excuses of how great of a team they were with a bunch of stats to try and illustrate my point. That team would have wiped the floor with this year’s Zags, but I don’t want to get into that...they both lost when it counted most. 

2nd-3rd-4th place shouldn’t be celebrated. You aren’t an “all-time great team” unless you finish the deal. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

They choked in 2015, but I’m not out here making excuses of how great of a team they were with a bunch of stats to try and illustrate my point.

2nd-3rd-4th place shouldn’t be celebrated. You aren’t an “all-time great team” unless you finish the deal. 

Nice strawman.  Who is arguing about runner-up Gonzaga being an all-time great team?

This opening post in this thread makes the ludicrous argument that being in the MWC would have better prepared the Zags for the NCAA tournament.  Gonzaga was plenty well prepared.  Their problem was that Baylor was better.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
7 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Nice strawman.  Who is arguing about runner-up Gonzaga being an all-time great team?

This opening post in this thread makes the ludicrous argument that being in the MWC would have better prepared the Zags for the NCAA tournament.  Gonzaga was plenty well prepared.  Their problem was that Baylor was better.

You all are blowing them for their “success” in the tournament that’s never resulted in championships, not me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

BYU beat the best this conference offered this year in SDSU and USU - yet beating BYU is no accomplishment and this conference would offer such better competition and “test” them?  😂  You people are nuts.  Have you even followed conference ratings the last several years?  The WCC has pretty consistently outranked the MWC.  

Not trying to piddle on byu.  I wouldnt put Utah state or sd state as big accomishments for a program like Gonzaga either.  Mid major victories dont cut it for the zags.  They are big time hoops out west and beating up west coast mid majors doesnt push the needle. 

16 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

You all are blowing them for their “success” in the tournament that’s never resulted in championships, not me. 

We can't all be UCLA (11), Kentucky (8), North Carolina (6), Duke (5), and Indiana (5).  Speaking of which, the team with the most titles - UCLA - hasn't won a title since 1995.  Indiana hasn't won a title since 1987.  The Pac-12 team that is often regarded as the second-best in basketball after UCLA - Arizona - won its only title in 1997.  Other teams west of the Rockies with national titles - San Francisco (2 championships, last in 1956), California (1959), Oregon (1939), Stanford (1942), UNLV (1990), Utah (1944).

So if I'm looking at the data correctly, the last team west of the Rockies to win a national championship was Arizona in 1997, which was two years after Gonzaga's first appearance in the tournament and two years before their first win in the tournament.  Since their first win in the tournament in 1999, Gonzaga has had more tournament success (appearances, Sweet 16s, Elite 8s, Final Fours, Title game appearances) than any team in any conference based in the west (Pac-12, MWC, Big West, WAC, etc.).

If you want to get all hung up on them not having won a title, you do you.  But it's not like any other teams out west have done any better over the last 20 years.

5 minutes ago, Pelado said:

We can't all be UCLA (11), Kentucky (8), North Carolina (6), Duke (5), and Indiana (5).  Speaking of which, the team with the most titles - UCLA - hasn't won a title since 1995.  Indiana hasn't won a title since 1987.  The Pac-12 team that is often regarded as the second-best in basketball after UCLA - Arizona - won its only title in 1997.  Other teams west of the Rockies with national titles - San Francisco (2 championships, last in 1956), California (1959), Oregon (1939), Stanford (1942), UNLV (1990), Utah (1944).

So if I'm looking at the data correctly, the last team west of the Rockies to win a national championship was Arizona in 1997, which was two years after Gonzaga's first appearance in the tournament and two years before their first win in the tournament.  Since their first win in the tournament in 1999, Gonzaga has had more tournament success (appearances, Sweet 16s, Elite 8s, Final Fours, Title game appearances) than any team in any conference based in the west (Pac-12, MWC, Big West, WAC, etc.).

If you want to get all hung up on them not having won a title, you do you.  But it's not like any other teams out west have done any better over the last 20 years.

Remember when BYU made it past the Sweet 16?

Neither do I.

You also left off Wyoming's title, doofus.

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1
2 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Hold up.  BYU didn't exactly shine against UCLA either.   The same Bruins team whom SDSU throttled.  And in both games a key player was missing (Juzang vs the Aztecs in the season opener, then-leading scorer Chris Smith vs BYU in the NCAAs).

And last we checked, still nobody outside of the WCC triumvirate has earned an NCAA bid since 2008.  (Pacific in 2013 was somewhere else)

BYU beat SDSU and USU - the top 2 squads from this conference.  I don’t care about UCLA, it’s irrelevant.  It’s laughable for fans of the MWC to act like the MWC would be so much more of a test to Gonzaga than the more highly rated WCC.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

lol

11 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Remember when BYU made it past the Sweet 16?

Neither do I.

You also left off Wyoming's title, doofus.

Where is Laramie in relation to the Rocky Mountains, doofus?

BYU is an example of not performing well in the tournament.  Of course, the last time they made it to the Sweet Sixteen - in 2011 - it was by beating Gonzaga.

Just now, Pelado said:

Where is Laramie in relation to the Rocky Mountains, doofus?

BYU is an example of not performing well in the tournament.  Of course, the last time they made it to the Sweet Sixteen - in 2011 - it was by beating Gonzaga.

Wyoming's a Rocky Mountain State.

1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

Wyoming's a Rocky Mountain State.

OK.  Is the University of Wyoming west of the Rocky Mountains?

1 minute ago, Pelado said:

OK.  Is the University of Wyoming west of the Rocky Mountains?

It's west of parts of them.

1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

It's west of parts of them.

I don't see much in the way of mountains east of Laramie on Google Maps.  There is something called Pilot Hill - is that what you're talking about?

Here's an updated list for you:

Teams with national championships that are west of the Rockies or anywhere in Wyoming:

UCLA (11 - last in 1995)

Arizona (1997)

San Francisco (2 - last in 1956)

California (1959)

Oregon (1939)

Stanford (1942)

UNLV (1990)

Utah (1944)

Wyoming (1943)

1 minute ago, Pelado said:

Teams with national championships that are west of the Rockies or anywhere in Wyoming:

UCLA (11 - last in 1995)

Arizona (1997)

California (1959)

Oregon (1939)

Stanford (1942)

UNLV (1990)

Utah (1944)

Wyoming (1943)

Those that won their last (or only) championship since my birth:

UCLA (11 - last in 1995)

Arizona (1997)

UNLV (1990)

30 minutes ago, Pelado said:

UCLA (11 - last in 1995)

Arizona (1997)

California (1959)

Oregon (1939)

UNLV (1990)

30 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Stanford (1942)

Utah (1944)

Wyoming (1943)

Those World War II Basketball Championships? 

The only kids playing those years were local 18 year old high school kids.  All the younger guys were in the Pacific or Europe.

https://mwwire.com/2018/02/18/75-years-ago-wyoming-basketball-won-the-most-outlandish-ncaa-championship-ever/#:~:text=On March 30%2C 1943%2C the,Cowboys defeated the Georgetown Hoyas.

Credit to Wyoming, though.   

Wining a Natty west of the Rocky Mountains is tough.

4 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

BYU beat SDSU and USU - the top 2 squads from this conference.  I don’t care about UCLA, it’s irrelevant.  It’s laughable for fans of the MWC to act like the MWC would be so much more of a test to Gonzaga than the more highly rated WCC.

Gonzaga brings the weight for conference ratings.  The wcc, big west, mw would all be the #2 conference out west with Gonzaga as a member.    The bottom half of the wcc looks alot like the big west.  And truthfully so does the middle.  The wcc has been top heavy for the last 20+ years.  It still is.  There is a very valid reason Gonzaga was looking to move.  They do need better competition night in night out.  Byu, St Marys are typically good games for them, but the athletes are not at either school.  It doesnt prepare them.   Thats why they are looking.  Dont take it personal. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, slappy said:

Gonzaga brings the weight for conference ratings.  The wcc, big west, mw would all be the #2 conference out west with Gonzaga as a member.    The bottom half of the wcc looks alot like the big west.  And truthfully so does the middle.  The wcc has been top heavy for the last 20+ years.  It still is.  There is a very valid reason Gonzaga was looking to move.  They do need better competition night in night out.  Byu, St Marys are typically good games for them, but the athletes are not at either school.  It doesnt prepare them.   Thats why they are looking.  Dont take it personal. 

Trust me, I don’t take your delusion personal.  Your inflated view of MWC hoops is charmingly naive.  Gonzaga isn’t looking.  They have no better options at the moment, including the MWC.  Like BYU, if they wanted to be in this conference they would be.

• Facepalm 1

WCC Net Rankings:

Gonzaga - 1

BYU - 20

St Mary’s- 62

LMU - 99

USF - 105

Pepperdine - 110

Pacific - 131

Santa Clara - 144

San Diego - 250

Portland - 327

MWC Net Rankings:

SDSU - 18

USU - 39

BSU - 50

CSU - 51

Nevada - 96

Wyoming - 162

UNLV - 179

FSU - 191

UNM - 302

AFA - 319

SJSU - 332

Data doesn’t support the delusional claim that the MWC is better than the WCC in the middle or bottom - certainly not the bottom when almost 1/3 of the MWC is ranked in the 300’s.  Which conference’s bottom half looks more like the Big West again @slappy?  😂 

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

• Like 2