bignasty

Gonzaga should have joined the MWC

The WCC had a dream season last year. It won’t be long when Bennett retires at St. Mary’s, and it’ll be more of a HS gym league closer to before Gonzaga got really good. The MWC is close to a 4 to 5 bid league if we can get a couple good hires like Miles. Fvck SJSU take Rick Pitino and buy him a Rick Dick Uber & Driver to move him around San Jose titty bars 24/7. Just get it done. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

They're such a perennial force they've never won a natty.

It's Butler in a shittier league.

No way. Gonzaga is locked and loaded. Depth is great. Their 2nd team might have made the Final 4. 

• Idiot 2
6 hours ago, utaggies said:

Participation ribbons indeed. Please give me the value of those ribbons. Since 1999 Gonzaga has earned 58 NCAA basketball units totaling $88.5 million. One unit is accorded for each NCAA game, up to a maximum of 5 units/year. Over the same period the MWC teams (including their tenures in different conferences) have earned 70 units totaling $97.6 million. I believe that in 3 more years Gonzaga will have exceeded the whole of the MWC in both NCAA units and earnings.

FWIW, this is the tally on MWC teams:

USU: 11 units (not including 2020) ($15,522,000)

SDS: 16 units ($23,658,000)

New Mexico: 10 units ($11,076,000)

UNLV: 8 units ($11,244,000)

CSU: 4 units ($5,928,000)

Wyoming: 3 units ($3,996,000)

Nevada: 13 units ($17,502,000)

SJS: 0 units

Fresno St.: 2 units (doesn’t include 1 unit vacated) ($3,990,000)

Boise St.: 3 units ($4,662,000)

70 credits earned ($97,578,000)

Where’s Gonzaga’s title banners? 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

No way. Gonzaga is locked and loaded. Depth is great. Their 2nd team might have made the Final 4. 

Their depth is so great that their sixth and seventh men played a combined 23 minutes against Baylor.

Their second team couldn’t have beaten UNLV last year.

1 hour ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

The subject isn’t about how many natties Gonzaga has won. It’s whether or not being in the MWC would have toughened them up to better be prepared to win a national championship. It wouldn’t have. The Bulldogs are doing just fine where they are.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

They're such a perennial force they've never won a natty.

It's Butler in a shittier league.

If butler kept stevens,  sure.  That if is doing a lot of work

5 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

No,  Gonzaga had a 7 man rotation all year.  One of the least deep teams. 

• Like 3
On 4/5/2021 at 11:29 PM, slappy said:

I don't consider byu an accomplishment.   But to your point Gonzaga was the #2 team in the country this year.  Gonzaga was not athletic enough down low to get it done tonight.  That was obvious.  But Baylor is really good and those kids flat out brought it. 

BYU beat the best this conference offered this year in SDSU and USU - yet beating BYU is no accomplishment and this conference would offer such better competition and “test” them?  😂  You people are nuts.  Have you even followed conference ratings the last several years?  The WCC has pretty consistently outranked the MWC.  

• Like 1
20 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Grand Canyon earning their first D1 NCAA bid this year is a big accomplishment.  I was high on their potential because of their resources. Now there is on-court success to speak of. Keep an eye on them.

Grand Canyon will be in the WCC in the next 5 years.  They are growing like crazy and very invested in athletics.  They are a perfect fit geographically in that they keep the geographic footprint tight while pulling in a high growth state (Arizona) w/ a lot of college bound kids.  They are also a Christian school and private like the rest of the WCC membership.

Which is another reason why the Hair should have pursued Gonzaga more aggressively when he had the opportunity.  He could have permanently de-stabilized the WCC by pulling over Gonzaga and BYU.  Then kept an eye on Grand Canyon as a potential add years down the road.

Hair only looks at the next chess move and not 2-3 moves ahead.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bignasty said:

Grand Canyon will be in the WCC in the next 5 years.  They are growing like crazy and very invested in athletics.  They are a perfect fit geographically in that they keep the geographic footprint tight while pulling in a high growth state (Arizona) w/ a lot of college bound kids.  They are also a Christian school and private like the rest of the WCC membership.

Which is another reason why the Hair should have pursued Gonzaga more aggressively when he had the opportunity.  He could have permanently de-stabilized the WCC by pulling over Gonzaga and BYU.  Then kept an eye on Grand Canyon as a potential add years down the road.

Master negotiator Hair Thompson

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/mar/31/mountain-west-commissioner-craig-thompson-says-gon/

Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson says Gonzaga likely to remain in WCC; GU officials caught a little off guard by comments

“For next season, it doesn’t look promising,” Mountain West Commissioner Craig Thompson told the San Diego Union-Tribune from the Final Four in San Antonio. “I’d put it like this: Today is today, none of us can predict tomorrow.

“We’re going to continue to grow our league. We’ll keep improving ourselves and see what happens.”

Gonzaga officials were caught a little off guard by Thompson’s comments. They didn’t dispute that negotiations in the past week were pointing the Zags in the direction of staying in the WCC, but they were under the impression talks were ongoing.

“We collectively have not made a final commitment,” Gonzaga athletic director Mike Roth said Saturday. “We have not told the WCC we’ve made a final decision. I have not talked to Craig Thompson.”

6 hours ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Same place as Hawaii's, I think.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

BYU beat the best this conference offered this year in SDSU and USU - yet beating BYU is no accomplishment and this conference would offer such better competition and “test” them?  😂  You people are nuts.  Have you even followed conference ratings the last several years?  The WCC has pretty consistently outranked the MWC.  

Hold up.  BYU didn't exactly shine against UCLA either.   The same Bruins team whom SDSU throttled.  And in both games a key player was missing (Juzang vs the Aztecs in the season opener, then-leading scorer Chris Smith vs BYU in the NCAAs).

And last we checked, still nobody outside of the WCC triumvirate has earned an NCAA bid since 2008.  (Pacific in 2013 was somewhere else)

1 hour ago, Pelado said:

Same place as Hawaii's, I think.

And still a more recent win in the NCAAs than BYU. 

I'm also not touting superiority of Hawaii's basketball team. It hasn't been relevant forever. I'm a UK guy in hoops. We've got 8 titles. 

5 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

And still a more recent win in the NCAAs than BYU. 

I'm also not touting superiority of Hawaii's basketball team. It hasn't been relevant forever. I'm a UK guy in hoops. We've got 8 titles. 

Hawaii hasn't exactly dominated their new league.  They've got 5th or 6th place secured, though.  But that's another story.

Just now, jdgaucho said:

Hawaii hasn't exactly dominated their new league.  They've got 5th or 6th place secured, though.  But that's another story.

Yeah. I've never played the "Hawaii hoops" card though. I'm all Kentucky. We had a rough year this year, but we'll be back next year. 

3 hours ago, bignasty said:

GCU has shown little interest in starting football.  That means they are all-in on the WCC.  If they can improve their academic standing and build on their NCAA bid they are a lock.

Just now, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Yeah. I've never played the "Hawaii hoops" card though. I'm all Kentucky. We had a rough year this year, but we'll be back next year. 

You should.  But Cal more than ruffled a few feathers.  

• Like 1
Just now, jdgaucho said:

You should.  But Cal more than ruffled a few feathers.  

He did. He needs to change up his system a bit and recruit some more shooters. We've got the transfer from WVU and Davidson coming in...plus hopefully the PG from Minnesota. 

I thought this year would be a good one, but it all fell apart. I knew when I was at the game against Richmond and we took a shit that it'd be a long year. 

• Like 1

I will say though @#1Stunner, @NorCalCoug, @Pelado...

UC Santa Barbara's three games vs LMU and Pepperdine helped provide a blueprint of sorts for how to deal with Creighton.

• Like 1