Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bignasty

Gonzaga should have joined the MWC

Guest #1Stunner
34 minutes ago, Bob said:

lol I thought this thread was being argued under the assumption that Gonzaga should have joined the MWC. Thread title: Gonzaga Should Have Joined the MWC. The MWC would be light years better than the WCC if Gonzaga were in the MWC. As it stands now they are about equal. WCC would reveryt back to the utterly irrelevant church gym school league they were before Gonzaga became Gonzaga. Gonzaga should invest in themselves and join the MWC.

I'll be honest.   The Gonzaga fans have reminded me a lot of Wyoming Cowboys fans.

Same hair cuts.   Same woolen ponchos.   Same boots.  Same round canister of some substance in their back jeans pocket. 

Besides.  John Stockton would never allow Gonzaga to leave the WCC.   He loves BYU too much and wants Gonzaga and BYU in the same conference.

stocktons-768x432.jpg

35 minutes ago, Bob said:

lol I thought this thread was being argued under the assumption that Gonzaga should have joined the MWC. Thread title: Gonzaga Should Have Joined the MWC. The MWC would be light years better than the WCC if Gonzaga were in the MWC. As it stands now they are about equal. WCC would reveryt back to the utterly irrelevant church gym school league they were before Gonzaga became Gonzaga. Gonzaga should invest in themselves and join the MWC.

If we were making runs in the NCAA's, I'd agree with you.  As things stand right now, at best, it's a lateral move that would help the MW a lot more than it would benefit Gonzaga.   

IIRC, after flirting with the MW, Gonzaga got a better deal with the WCC.  That may have been their goal all along. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

2 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

UNLV?  LMAO!  It’s not 1990 anymore.  UNLV is no more difficult than Portland.  Zags get plenty of road trip testing in OOC.  They don’t need the MWC.

Ahhhhh, NCC, you may wish to consider that you are being played.

2 hours ago, utaggies said:

Ahhhhh, NCC, you may wish to consider that you are being played.

Hahaha yeah no kidding, Aslowhiteguy just pulled a Stunner on NCC.

You would've thought that referring to road games @SJSU preparing one for Baylor would've been the giveaway but he still took the bait.

23 hours ago, bigd said:

Hahaha yeah no kidding, Aslowhiteguy just pulled a Stunner on NCC.

You would've thought that referring to road games @SJSU preparing one for Baylor would've been the giveaway but he still took the bait.

I don’t know, playing in an empty gym for a road game each year might have really prepared them for a (mostly) fan less Final 4. 

1 hour ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

I don’t know, playing in an empty gym for a road game each year might have really prepared them for a (mostly) fan less Final 4. 

jfc why didn't i think of this earlier

Gonzaga had Baylor on the schedule, perfect preparation for, uh playing Baylor. Unfortunately it was cancelled due to Corona Virus, so Gonzaga only got preparation in not showing up vs Baylor :( 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 4/5/2021 at 10:30 PM, bignasty said:

They barely get tested in the WCC, especially in a pandemic year when you don't have many non-conference games.

They could have come over as a package w/ BYU and had a much tougher schedule (CSU, BYU, USU, SDSU, BSU, etc.) to get them ready for the NCAA tournament.

I’m pretty sure the Zags can join the MWC any time they want. Hair got so much shit for blowing the Wichita/Zags “Sorry, we play FB” debacle. 

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

I’m pretty sure the Zags can join the MWC any time they want. Hair got so much shit for blowing the Wichita/Zags “Sorry, we play FB” debacle. 

It’s like I said...  if they wanted to be here they would.  They don’t.  The MWC is not a step up competition-wise.  They aren’t going to give up the exposure they get with ESPN in the WCC either.  There’s no point.  And then you have the Hair problem here.  Ain’t nobody got time for that.

v0icAvfW.jpg

On 4/8/2021 at 2:07 PM, NorCalCoug said:

UNLV?  LMAO!  It’s not 1990 anymore.  UNLV is no more difficult than Portland.  Zags get plenty of road trip testing in OOC.  They don’t need the MWC.

Unfortunately there is much truth to this.  UNLV has become a bad joke in basketball. My hope is they will improve a great deal in football with the new stadium.  It will not be easy considering their record in choosing coaches but it seems that BB is dead in LV.

I also think we should  look at how well our conference did in the dance. Actually we need to improve here as well before we criticize others. 

tourn CONF WINS WINS Share of money UNITS UNITS share of money
2020-21 Pac-12 13 20.63% 19 14.39%
2020-21 Big 12 11 17.46% 17 12.88%
2020-21 Big Ten 8 12.70% 17 12.88%
2020-21 SEC 7 11.11% 12 9.09%
2020-21 WCC 5 7.94% 6 4.55%
2020-21 AAC 4 6.35% 6 4.55%
2020-21 ACC 4 6.35% 11 8.33%
2020-21 Big East 4 6.35% 8 6.06%
2020-21 MVC 2 3.17% 5 3.79%
2020-21 Summit 2 3.17% 3 2.27%
2020-21 CUSA 1 1.59% 2 1.52%
2020-21 MAC 1 1.59% 2 1.52%
2020-21 Southland 1 1.59% 2 1.52%
2020-21 A-10 0 0.00% 2 1.52%
2020-21 A-Sun 0 0.00% 1 0.76%
2020-21 AEC 0 0.00% 1 0.76%
2020-21 Big Sky 0 0.00% 1 0.76%
2020-21 Big South 0 0.00% 1 0.76%
2020-21 Big West 0 0.00% 1 0.76%
2020-21 CAA 0 0.00% 1 0.76%
2020-21 Horizon 0 0.00% 1 0.76%
2020-21 MAAC 0 0.00% 1 0.76%
2020-21 MEAC 0 0.00% 2 1.52%
2020-21 MWC 0 0.00% 2 1.52%
2020-21 NEC 0 0.00% 1 0.76%
2020-21 OVC 0 0.00% 1 0.76%
2020-21 Patriot 0 0.00% 1 0.76%
2020-21 Southern 0 0.00% 1 0.76%
2020-21 Sun Belt 0 0.00% 1 0.76%
2020-21 SWAC 0 0.00% 2 1.52%
2020-21 WAC 0 0.00% 1 0.76%

From list provided on realignment thread of bbs site.

MW is 2-8 the last five NCAA Tournaments.  Other than Nevada's sweet 16 in 2018, everyone else has bowed out in the first round

2021, 2019, 2018 (SDSU), 2017 (Nevada - one bid league), 2016 (Fresno - one bid league)

On 4/12/2021 at 6:10 AM, Nevada Convert said:

Well, sorry....we do play football.  I’d gather that most MWC fans don’t want to add schools that don’t play football.  I think we’d all rather have BYU than Gonzaga.  I know you guys are really into basketball, but football is what drives the bus. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

On 4/12/2021 at 9:09 AM, 1066 said:

Unfortunately there is much truth to this.  UNLV has become a bad joke in basketball. My hope is they will improve a great deal in football with the new stadium.  It will not be easy considering their record in choosing coaches but it seems that BB is dead in LV.

Per dollar spent unlv pays the most for a football and basket win in the country.  This takes time and leadership to change.  They are the biggest dissapointment out west.  It will be 2 to 3 football wins and .500 hoops again this year.  And they have an enormous amount of financial benefits.  Its too bad. 

On 4/15/2021 at 2:28 AM, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Well, sorry....we do play football.  I’d gather that most MWC fans don’t want to add schools that don’t play football.  I think we’d all rather have BYU than Gonzaga.  I know you guys are really into basketball, but football is what drives the bus. 

On 4/15/2021 at 5:56 PM, Joe from WY said:

Not me.

F-ck byu*.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

On 4/9/2021 at 3:28 PM, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Hell yeah, we’ll bore you to a loss!

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

On 4/15/2021 at 7:00 AM, slappy said:

Per dollar spent unlv pays the most for a football and basket win in the country.  This takes time and leadership to change.  They are the biggest dissapointment out west.  It will be 2 to 3 football wins and .500 hoops again this year.  And they have an enormous amount of financial benefits.  Its too bad. 

I'm not sure about your first sentence but I've challenged Rebel fans to make a cogent argument how any FBS school's football and basketball programs has underachieved more than theirs since the MWC was created and haven't even managed to get a peep out of them. UNLV has gotten plenty of financial help from the Fertittas and the state legislature with nary a pittance of an uptick in wins to show for it. So leadership? Yup, that's it. Virtually none from their administration nor any semblance of a demand from the fan base that if the status quo doesn't go, the administration must.

Exactly the opposite of tiny Gonzaga whose basketball program is the best in the west despite being located in the middle of nowhere.

On 4/18/2021 at 11:10 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

I'm not sure about your first sentence but I've challenged Rebel fans to make a cogent argument how any FBS school's football and basketball programs has underachieved more than theirs since the MWC was created and haven't even managed to get a peep out of them. UNLV has gotten plenty of financial help from the Fertittas and the state legislature with nary a pittance of an uptick in wins to show for it. So leadership? Yup, that's it. Virtually none from their administration nor any semblance of a demand from the fan base that if the status quo doesn't go, the administration must.

Exactly the opposite of tiny Gonzaga whose basketball program is the best in the west despite being located in the middle of nowhere.

So, they’re the future flagship school for the MWC?

OK, that’s a really big stretch, but....

Recently everybody wanted SJSU booted, then they won the title in FB and immediately found a real BB coach. 

You’re messing with Jobu  right now. Quit tempting fate. 

On 4/17/2021 at 4:53 PM, Wyovanian said:

F-ck byu*

:pitchforks:

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!