Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bignasty

Gonzaga should have joined the MWC

1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

It's west of parts of them.

I don't see much in the way of mountains east of Laramie on Google Maps.  There is something called Pilot Hill - is that what you're talking about?

Here's an updated list for you:

Teams with national championships that are west of the Rockies or anywhere in Wyoming:

UCLA (11 - last in 1995)

Arizona (1997)

San Francisco (2 - last in 1956)

California (1959)

Oregon (1939)

Stanford (1942)

UNLV (1990)

Utah (1944)

Wyoming (1943)

1 minute ago, Pelado said:

Teams with national championships that are west of the Rockies or anywhere in Wyoming:

UCLA (11 - last in 1995)

Arizona (1997)

California (1959)

Oregon (1939)

Stanford (1942)

UNLV (1990)

Utah (1944)

Wyoming (1943)

Those that won their last (or only) championship since my birth:

UCLA (11 - last in 1995)

Arizona (1997)

UNLV (1990)

Guest #1Stunner
30 minutes ago, Pelado said:

UCLA (11 - last in 1995)

Arizona (1997)

California (1959)

Oregon (1939)

UNLV (1990)

30 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Stanford (1942)

Utah (1944)

Wyoming (1943)

Those World War II Basketball Championships? 

The only kids playing those years were local 18 year old high school kids.  All the younger guys were in the Pacific or Europe.

https://mwwire.com/2018/02/18/75-years-ago-wyoming-basketball-won-the-most-outlandish-ncaa-championship-ever/#:~:text=On March 30%2C 1943%2C the,Cowboys defeated the Georgetown Hoyas.

Credit to Wyoming, though.   

Wining a Natty west of the Rocky Mountains is tough.

4 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

BYU beat SDSU and USU - the top 2 squads from this conference.  I don’t care about UCLA, it’s irrelevant.  It’s laughable for fans of the MWC to act like the MWC would be so much more of a test to Gonzaga than the more highly rated WCC.

Gonzaga brings the weight for conference ratings.  The wcc, big west, mw would all be the #2 conference out west with Gonzaga as a member.    The bottom half of the wcc looks alot like the big west.  And truthfully so does the middle.  The wcc has been top heavy for the last 20+ years.  It still is.  There is a very valid reason Gonzaga was looking to move.  They do need better competition night in night out.  Byu, St Marys are typically good games for them, but the athletes are not at either school.  It doesnt prepare them.   Thats why they are looking.  Dont take it personal. 

18 minutes ago, slappy said:

Gonzaga brings the weight for conference ratings.  The wcc, big west, mw would all be the #2 conference out west with Gonzaga as a member.    The bottom half of the wcc looks alot like the big west.  And truthfully so does the middle.  The wcc has been top heavy for the last 20+ years.  It still is.  There is a very valid reason Gonzaga was looking to move.  They do need better competition night in night out.  Byu, St Marys are typically good games for them, but the athletes are not at either school.  It doesnt prepare them.   Thats why they are looking.  Dont take it personal. 

Trust me, I don’t take your delusion personal.  Your inflated view of MWC hoops is charmingly naive.  Gonzaga isn’t looking.  They have no better options at the moment, including the MWC.  Like BYU, if they wanted to be in this conference they would be.

v0icAvfW.jpg

WCC Net Rankings:

Gonzaga - 1

BYU - 20

St Mary’s- 62

LMU - 99

USF - 105

Pepperdine - 110

Pacific - 131

Santa Clara - 144

San Diego - 250

Portland - 327

MWC Net Rankings:

SDSU - 18

USU - 39

BSU - 50

CSU - 51

Nevada - 96

Wyoming - 162

UNLV - 179

FSU - 191

UNM - 302

AFA - 319

SJSU - 332

Data doesn’t support the delusional claim that the MWC is better than the WCC in the middle or bottom - certainly not the bottom when almost 1/3 of the MWC is ranked in the 300’s.  Which conference’s bottom half looks more like the Big West again @slappy?  😂 

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

v0icAvfW.jpg

22 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

WCC Net Rankings:

Gonzaga - 1

BYU - 20

St Mary’s- 62

LMU - 99

USF - 105

Pepperdine - 110

Pacific - 131

Santa Clara - 144

San Diego - 250

Portland - 327

MWC Net Rankings:

SDSU - 18

USU - 39

BSU - 50

CSU - 51

Nevada - 96

Wyoming - 162

UNLV - 179

FSU - 191

UNM - 302

AFA - 319

SJSU - 332

Data doesn’t support the delusional claim that the MWC is better than the WCC in the middle or bottom - certainly not the bottom when almost 1/3 of the MWC is ranked in the 300’s.  Which conference’s bottom half looks more like the Big West again @slappy?  😂 

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

Most here dont want Gonzaga to join.  Basketball only is a non starter for the MW.  And Byu could not manage the votes needed to be invoted either.  No need to debate it.

I am glad you enjoy the wcc over the MW.  I do believe that league fits your program better.  Gonzaga will do whats best for their program.   

20 minutes ago, slappy said:

Most here dont want Gonzaga to join.  Basketball only is a non starter for the MW.  And Byu could not manage the votes needed to be invoted either.  No need to debate it.

I am glad you enjoy the wcc over the MW.  I do believe that league fits your program better.  Gonzaga will do whats best for their program.   

Sour grapes.  Gonzaga told the MWC “thanks but no thanks”.  To act like posters here wouldn’t be thrilled if Gonzaga shockingly decided to join this lesser conference is more evidence of your delusion.  Again, go look at conference rankings the last 5 years.  Guess which conference consistently ranked higher?  LOL at this notion that the MWC is anything superior to the WCC.  If you really want to be surprised go look at what programs spend on basketball top to bottom.  The WCC is investing in its product and has been on a steady upward trend.  The MWC has been trending downward and NCAA tournament credits around here are drying up faster than yer mom’s vagina.

v0icAvfW.jpg

4 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Sour grapes.  Gonzaga told the MWC “thanks but no thanks”.  To act like posters here wouldn’t be thrilled if Gonzaga shockingly decided to join this lesser conference is more evidence of your delusion.  Again, go look at conference rankings the last 5 years.  Guess which conference consistently ranked higher?  LOL at this notion that the MWC is anything superior to the WCC.  If you really want to be surprised go look at what programs spend on basketball top to bottom.  The WCC is investing in its product and has been on a steady upward trend.  The MWC has been trending downward and NCAA tournament credits are drying up faster than yer mom’s vagina.

I think he just broke the yBu honor code.  

Potty Mouth!

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

I dunno @NorCalCoug, the Big West + Pepperdine and LMU toughened UCSB up.  Certainly looked better in the Tourney than BYU, SDSU or USU did.

And yes, I'm aware we all went one and done.  

3 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

Who?

BYwho, SDSU, USU...

and us.  Sadly, we were the most prepared team of the quartet in the NCAAs.  And we lost too

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, Bob said:

I concede that the MWC isn't currently much of a step up in competition to the WCC, but what would it do to the ratings of both conferences to simply put Gonzaga in the MWC. Just playing a school like  Gonzaga twice has quite an effect on ratings. The MWC's would look quite a bit better and the WCC would look quite a bit worse. This is not insignificant.

Thc problem with your statement is that most recently it is the MWC Schools petitioning for membership in the WCC.....not the other way around.

https://www.ktvb.com/article/sports/ncaa/ncaaf/boise-state-football/boise-state-join-aac-football-group-of-five-mountain-west-conference-realignment/277-a7f8fccb-09aa-4d08-b88e-448b4ab6d308

Boise wants in the WCC.   They'd give their collective left nut to be in a conference with BYU, and the Pacific Northwest schools of Portland and Gonzaga.

Also @Bob, we now count you in the ranks of the BYU fans.... so in a way, you are a WCC guy as well. 

Guest #1Stunner

Why hasn't the WCC expanded to the Denver Market?!?!

Well, because we are waiting on one of our two ACADEMICALLY ELITE candidates to step up to the plate.

That is

University of Denver @jdgaucho

or

School of Mines @OrediggerPoke

Both schools deliver the Denver Market.   Both schools deliver the State of Colorado.   Both schools have beautiful campuses.   Both schools are natural fits to the WCC.   Just wish that one of them would finally get it going in Hoops. 

Just now, #1Stunner said:

Why hasn't the WCC expanded to the Denver Market?!?!

Well, because are waiting on one of our two ACADEMICALLY ELITE candidates to step up to the plate.

That is

University of Denver @jdgaucho

or

School of Mines @OrediggerPoke

Both schools deliver the Denver Market.   Both schools deliver the State of Colorado.   Both schools have beautiful campuses.   Both schools are natural fits to the WCC.   Just wish that one of them would finally get it going in Hoops. 

Are Denver and Mines religious schools?  I think Denver was at one time but not anymore.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, Aslowhiteguy said:

Are Denver and Mines religious schools?  I think Denver was at one time but not anymore.

The WCC does not require the school to be religious.... So far the only requirement is that they are a private school.

The most recent addition, Pacific, is not currently affiliated with a Church, but they are private.

DU is private.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Denver

School of Mines is Public, but religious (teaching their students to love / worship precious metals):  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_School_of_Mines

I have to agree with the BYU fans here. The stats don't lie. While the MWC might not provide a tougher test for GU, from a selfish standpoint I would love to see the Zags compete here.. I think it would raise the bar a bit for the better programs here.