Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bignasty

Gonzaga should have joined the MWC

20 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Grand Canyon earning their first D1 NCAA bid this year is a big accomplishment.  I was high on their potential because of their resources. Now there is on-court success to speak of. Keep an eye on them.

Grand Canyon will be in the WCC in the next 5 years.  They are growing like crazy and very invested in athletics.  They are a perfect fit geographically in that they keep the geographic footprint tight while pulling in a high growth state (Arizona) w/ a lot of college bound kids.  They are also a Christian school and private like the rest of the WCC membership.

Which is another reason why the Hair should have pursued Gonzaga more aggressively when he had the opportunity.  He could have permanently de-stabilized the WCC by pulling over Gonzaga and BYU.  Then kept an eye on Grand Canyon as a potential add years down the road.

Hair only looks at the next chess move and not 2-3 moves ahead.

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, bignasty said:

Grand Canyon will be in the WCC in the next 5 years.  They are growing like crazy and very invested in athletics.  They are a perfect fit geographically in that they keep the geographic footprint tight while pulling in a high growth state (Arizona) w/ a lot of college bound kids.  They are also a Christian school and private like the rest of the WCC membership.

Which is another reason why the Hair should have pursued Gonzaga more aggressively when he had the opportunity.  He could have permanently de-stabilized the WCC by pulling over Gonzaga and BYU.  Then kept an eye on Grand Canyon as a potential add years down the road.

Master negotiator Hair Thompson

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/mar/31/mountain-west-commissioner-craig-thompson-says-gon/

Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson says Gonzaga likely to remain in WCC; GU officials caught a little off guard by comments

“For next season, it doesn’t look promising,” Mountain West Commissioner Craig Thompson told the San Diego Union-Tribune from the Final Four in San Antonio. “I’d put it like this: Today is today, none of us can predict tomorrow.

“We’re going to continue to grow our league. We’ll keep improving ourselves and see what happens.”

Gonzaga officials were caught a little off guard by Thompson’s comments. They didn’t dispute that negotiations in the past week were pointing the Zags in the direction of staying in the WCC, but they were under the impression talks were ongoing.

“We collectively have not made a final commitment,” Gonzaga athletic director Mike Roth said Saturday. “We have not told the WCC we’ve made a final decision. I have not talked to Craig Thompson.”

3 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

BYU beat the best this conference offered this year in SDSU and USU - yet beating BYU is no accomplishment and this conference would offer such better competition and “test” them?  😂  You people are nuts.  Have you even followed conference ratings the last several years?  The WCC has pretty consistently outranked the MWC.  

Hold up.  BYU didn't exactly shine against UCLA either.   The same Bruins team whom SDSU throttled.  And in both games a key player was missing (Juzang vs the Aztecs in the season opener, then-leading scorer Chris Smith vs BYU in the NCAAs).

And last we checked, still nobody outside of the WCC triumvirate has earned an NCAA bid since 2008.  (Pacific in 2013 was somewhere else)

5 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

And still a more recent win in the NCAAs than BYU. 

I'm also not touting superiority of Hawaii's basketball team. It hasn't been relevant forever. I'm a UK guy in hoops. We've got 8 titles. 

Hawaii hasn't exactly dominated their new league.  They've got 5th or 6th place secured, though.  But that's another story.

Just now, jdgaucho said:

Hawaii hasn't exactly dominated their new league.  They've got 5th or 6th place secured, though.  But that's another story.

Yeah. I've never played the "Hawaii hoops" card though. I'm all Kentucky. We had a rough year this year, but we'll be back next year. 

3 hours ago, bignasty said:

GCU has shown little interest in starting football.  That means they are all-in on the WCC.  If they can improve their academic standing and build on their NCAA bid they are a lock.

Just now, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Yeah. I've never played the "Hawaii hoops" card though. I'm all Kentucky. We had a rough year this year, but we'll be back next year. 

You should.  But Cal more than ruffled a few feathers.  

Just now, jdgaucho said:

You should.  But Cal more than ruffled a few feathers.  

He did. He needs to change up his system a bit and recruit some more shooters. We've got the transfer from WVU and Davidson coming in...plus hopefully the PG from Minnesota. 

I thought this year would be a good one, but it all fell apart. I knew when I was at the game against Richmond and we took a shit that it'd be a long year. 

1 hour ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

And still a more recent win in the NCAAs than BYU. 

I'm also not touting superiority of Hawaii's basketball team. It hasn't been relevant forever. I'm a UK guy in hoops. We've got 8 titles. 

so shouldn't you be the last fans to throw stones about undefeated teams not getting a title in recent history?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

5 minutes ago, happycamper said:

so shouldn't you be the last fans to throw stones about undefeated teams not getting a title in recent history?

They choked in 2015, but I’m not out here making excuses of how great of a team they were with a bunch of stats to try and illustrate my point. That team would have wiped the floor with this year’s Zags, but I don’t want to get into that...they both lost when it counted most. 

2nd-3rd-4th place shouldn’t be celebrated. You aren’t an “all-time great team” unless you finish the deal. 

1 minute ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

They choked in 2015, but I’m not out here making excuses of how great of a team they were with a bunch of stats to try and illustrate my point.

2nd-3rd-4th place shouldn’t be celebrated. You aren’t an “all-time great team” unless you finish the deal. 

Nice strawman.  Who is arguing about runner-up Gonzaga being an all-time great team?

This opening post in this thread makes the ludicrous argument that being in the MWC would have better prepared the Zags for the NCAA tournament.  Gonzaga was plenty well prepared.  Their problem was that Baylor was better.

7 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Nice strawman.  Who is arguing about runner-up Gonzaga being an all-time great team?

This opening post in this thread makes the ludicrous argument that being in the MWC would have better prepared the Zags for the NCAA tournament.  Gonzaga was plenty well prepared.  Their problem was that Baylor was better.

You all are blowing them for their “success” in the tournament that’s never resulted in championships, not me. 

5 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

BYU beat the best this conference offered this year in SDSU and USU - yet beating BYU is no accomplishment and this conference would offer such better competition and “test” them?  😂  You people are nuts.  Have you even followed conference ratings the last several years?  The WCC has pretty consistently outranked the MWC.  

Not trying to piddle on byu.  I wouldnt put Utah state or sd state as big accomishments for a program like Gonzaga either.  Mid major victories dont cut it for the zags.  They are big time hoops out west and beating up west coast mid majors doesnt push the needle. 

16 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

You all are blowing them for their “success” in the tournament that’s never resulted in championships, not me. 

We can't all be UCLA (11), Kentucky (8), North Carolina (6), Duke (5), and Indiana (5).  Speaking of which, the team with the most titles - UCLA - hasn't won a title since 1995.  Indiana hasn't won a title since 1987.  The Pac-12 team that is often regarded as the second-best in basketball after UCLA - Arizona - won its only title in 1997.  Other teams west of the Rockies with national titles - San Francisco (2 championships, last in 1956), California (1959), Oregon (1939), Stanford (1942), UNLV (1990), Utah (1944).

So if I'm looking at the data correctly, the last team west of the Rockies to win a national championship was Arizona in 1997, which was two years after Gonzaga's first appearance in the tournament and two years before their first win in the tournament.  Since their first win in the tournament in 1999, Gonzaga has had more tournament success (appearances, Sweet 16s, Elite 8s, Final Fours, Title game appearances) than any team in any conference based in the west (Pac-12, MWC, Big West, WAC, etc.).

If you want to get all hung up on them not having won a title, you do you.  But it's not like any other teams out west have done any better over the last 20 years.

2 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Hold up.  BYU didn't exactly shine against UCLA either.   The same Bruins team whom SDSU throttled.  And in both games a key player was missing (Juzang vs the Aztecs in the season opener, then-leading scorer Chris Smith vs BYU in the NCAAs).

And last we checked, still nobody outside of the WCC triumvirate has earned an NCAA bid since 2008.  (Pacific in 2013 was somewhere else)

BYU beat SDSU and USU - the top 2 squads from this conference.  I don’t care about UCLA, it’s irrelevant.  It’s laughable for fans of the MWC to act like the MWC would be so much more of a test to Gonzaga than the more highly rated WCC.

v0icAvfW.jpg

47 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

lol

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

11 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Remember when BYU made it past the Sweet 16?

Neither do I.

You also left off Wyoming's title, doofus.

Where is Laramie in relation to the Rocky Mountains, doofus?

BYU is an example of not performing well in the tournament.  Of course, the last time they made it to the Sweet Sixteen - in 2011 - it was by beating Gonzaga.