Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bignasty

Gonzaga should have joined the MWC

They barely get tested in the WCC, especially in a pandemic year when you don't have many non-conference games.

They could have come over as a package w/ BYU and had a much tougher schedule (CSU, BYU, USU, SDSU, BSU, etc.) to get them ready for the NCAA tournament.

2 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I agree 100%. Was actually telling @MetropolitanCowboy tonight that if the Zags had played an MWC schedule, they wouldn't have gotten gutted in the championship. They played a bunch of garbage teams in conference, and then, out of conference, beat a bunch of shit-to-overrated teams. They never were tested.

They were tested in the West Coast Championship Game and in the last two. Winning two out of three when you are really tested isn’t so bad. 

18 minutes ago, bignasty said:

They barely get tested in the WCC, especially in a pandemic year when you don't have many non-conference games.

They could have come over as a package w/ BYU and had a much tougher schedule (CSU, BYU, USU, SDSU, BSU, etc.) to get them ready for the NCAA tournament.

Um but they make up for it in the OOC. I think this is more along the lines that Baylor was really good this year. Honestly without COVID Baylor might have been undefeated headed into this game (they looked a little off for a bit after their COVID stoppage). 

Hats off to both teams. Still hoping Gonzaga can complete the journey at some point and win the NCAAT. I get Gonzaga is a "power" school at this point BUT it still has been since 1990 (UNLV) that a non BCS/Power 5 non Big East (they are a power conference in basketball) team won the NCAAT. So would still be cool for Gonzaga to win it.

edit- Yes the 2014 UCONN team was in the AAC at the moment but they have since moved on to the Big East. 

6 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

They were tested in the West Coast Championship Game and in the last two. Winning two out of three when you are really tested isn’t so bad. 

The WCC is fine for Gonzaga cause they sch a crazy OOC. Now if they were playing a bunch of cupcakes in the OOC maybe you can blame the WCC (ie not tested) but they basically invert there sch (tough games up front, easier games later in regular season) compared to most power teams. They still play plenty of tough teams.

3 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Zags are/were overrated. They should have lost to UCLA. 

Don't agree. Maybe Baylor was underrated. I mean Gonzaga made if farther than 2 of the 4 other one seeds. They clearly justified their seed.   

Yeah all the tough competition here really prepared SDSU and USU...

Gonzaga and BYU in the league would be amazing, but that ship has sailed. The WCC is improving and unless they move to the Big East or AAC I don't think Gonzaga will go anywhere.

2 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

The WCC is fine for Gonzaga cause they sch a crazy OOC. Now if they were playing a bunch of cupcakes in the OOC maybe you can blame the WCC (ie not tested) but they basically invert there sch (tough games up front, easier games later in regular season) compared to most power teams. They still play plenty of tough teams.

It’s too bad that no matter how tough Gonzaga schedules OOC they still have to sleepwalk through their WCC schedule. It kind of dulls that competitive edge. 

18 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

Don't agree. Maybe Baylor was underrated. I mean Gonzaga made if farther than 2 of the 4 other one seeds. They clearly justified their seed.   

Gonzaga was billed as an unstoppable team/historical team. One of the greatest ever etc. The tournament was set up well for them and the upsets in their bracket also benefited them. Their showing in the final four showed that they were anything but historical/one of the greatest. 

They were overrated, they won 28 games by double digits, play in a soft league etc. Baylor did everyone a favor, and ended the media hype machine real quick. 

I wasn't expecting 'Zaga to get bitch-slapped like that. It should have been expected after seeing how UCLA kept pushing them.

2 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Gonzaga was billed as an unstoppable team/historical team. One of the greatest ever etc. The tournament was set up well for them and the upsets in their bracket also benefited them. Their showing in the final four showed that they were anything but historical/one of the greatest. 

They were overrated, they won 28 games by double digits, play in a soft league etc. Baylor did everyone a favor, and ended the media hype machine real quick. 

Included in that double digit tally - Kansas, Iowa, Virginia, BYU 3X, Oklahoma, USC, Creighton.  Winning nine games against seven different Tournament teams by 10+ points screams overrated?

10 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

Gonzaga didn't lose because they aren't in a good enough conference. They lost because Baylor was clearly the better team. Got manhandled on the boards and their D was not up to the task.

And Baylor's defense was incredible. I've missed seeing that kind of defense.

9 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Baylor shot nearly 60% from three, and could have gone undefeated if it wasn't for the COVID-19 pause.

Bad take.