Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebels2k3

OT - National Championship: Gonzaga vs Baylor

27 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

SILENCE NON-CHAMPION

Maybe the MWC should kick out UNLV?  They just bring the conference SOS down each year in all sports. 

The only thing Vegas is good for is partying, hosting conference tournaments and a bowl game that UNLV can never make. And finally the Vegas Bowl will be played in a real stadium rather than the shithole known as Sam Boyd. 

Thank god the Raiders came to town.

28 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Look out @utenation, Frank the Tank barreling through for 190 yards again. 

image.jpeg.2dc22feeb46c75a9168252ab5e793ada.jpeg

That was an awesome game for UNLV.  I’ll spare you the highlights and stats of the other 13 games. But you have to go back to 1979 to find a win for the Rebs before 2007. 

Utah is 12-2 with some pretty bad beat downs. 

5 hours ago, utenation said:

You’re about to get a full lesson in basketball on potential, the early 1990’s, top 5 recruiting classes and Vegas is the best coaching job in the west. 

If only it can all come together, the rest of CBB will be in absolute awe. 

There’s probably endless shrines with “1991 Final Four Champions” embroidered towels, too, I’d imagine. Kind of like the excess t-shirts they send to Africa of the losing teams. 

4 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

UNLV vs Utah squabble in a Gonzaga vs Baylor title game thread.  Peak MWCBoarding...

It truly is, but I never interrupt @utenation when he goes after the Uncle Rico fan base of the MWBoard. It is God's work and has to be done. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

2 hours ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

There’s probably endless shrines with “1991 Final Four Champions” embroidered towels, too, I’d imagine. Kind of like the excess t-shirts they send to Africa of the losing teams. 

I have them all in boxes in my garage.

31 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Gonzaga didn’t have a plus three point shooter other than Corey Kispert.  That is not typical for a Mark Few team.  As good as they were, I thought they had some flaws.

If only david Jenkins Jr would've chosen zaga over unlv

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

1 hour ago, SharkTanked said:

I have them all in boxes in my garage.

Shark. You realize how much money you could make just from selling this stuff to other UNLV fans on this board? 

Ph and Rebels18 could fully decorate their rooms in their parents basement. They already have Larry Johnson posters, Anthony bobble head dolls and never washed, slightly used Tark blankets. 

5 minutes ago, utenation said:

Shark. You realize how much money you could make just from selling this stuff to other UNLV fans on this board? 

Ph and Rebels18 could fully decorate their rooms in their parents basement. They already have Larry Johnson posters, Anthony bobble head dolls and never washed, slightly used Tark blankets. 

Nah. I think 18 has money, but ph spends all his in Pahrump.

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Baylor put the clamps down. I didn’t expect Gonzaga offense to struggle like that. Kudos to Baylor. One of the best college teams ever perhaps 

As this thread is supposed to be about UNLV, Baylor's effort and defensive intensity was very Tark-esque. It took me back to the good ole days.

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

Gonzaga didn’t have a plus three point shooter other than Corey Kispert.  That is not typical for a Mark Few team.  As good as they were, I thought they had some flaws.

What are you taking about? Suggs, Nembherd, and Ayayi are all decent from long.  Better 3 point shooting on this team than the 2017 team

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

12 minutes ago, happycamper said:

What are you taking about? Suggs, Nembherd, and Ayayi are all decent from long.  Better 3 point shooting on this team than the 2017 team

Kispert was at 44%.  Ayayi shot 38.9%.  Aaron Cook was at 35%.  Nobody else who averaged 10+ minutes was above 35%.  Suggs - 33.7%, Nembhard - 32.3%.

Overall, Gonzaga was tied with Ohio State for team 3-point shooting at 59th (out of 347 teams), shooting 36.5% during the regular season.

The 2017 team averaged 38.2% from three (47th out of 351 teams).  Guys who averaged 10+ minutes and shot better than 35% from 3:

Killian Tillie - 47.8%

Zach Collins - 47.6%

Johnathan Williams - 40%

Josh Perkins - 39.9%

Jordan Mathews - 39.2%

Silas Melson - 39.1%

Nigel Williams-Goss - 36.8%

In fairness, the 3-point line was a little closer in 2017 than in 2021.  Most teams in the country saw their 3-point shooting percentages decrease a bit when that change was implemented.  That said, the numbers indicate the 2017 team had more capable shooters from distance than the 2021 team.

14 hours ago, happycamper said:

I mean... 3 1 seeds in 4 years,  2 final games appearances. 

Based on recent history,  plenty of opportunities 

Yup.

THE problem for Gonzaga is not playing in a power conference. They're a rich man's version of SDSU. Get 2-3 impressive OOC wins before entering the conference season then play well enough to get into the NCAAs most of the time (all of the time if it's Gonzaga) but then because their conference opponents are so significantly inferior to what they play in the post-season, rarely manage to play up to their seeding in the dance.

Mark Few is a very bright guy and has to be wondering the same so if with the uptick in recruiting he's still unable to win a NC in the next few years, I have to believe he'll consider leaving.