Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebels2k3

OT - National Championship: Gonzaga vs Baylor

14 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

That's a long time. And if I remember my basketball history correct...Texas Western was the first all black team.

The first championship game team to start 5 black players. Don Haskins was their coach and Texas Western would later become UTEP. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Haskins

Even though there's 10 minutes to go in this game I'm confident the Bears will win. Congratulations Baylor! :Clapping:

1 minute ago, jdgaucho said:

If not this year, when?  When will Gonzaga break through?

I think if you make the Final Four you did break through. Up until Baylor had their Covid outbreak, they looked like the best team in the nation. After a few weeks off, it took them a little time to get it going again. They are a better team than Gonzaga, and not just tonight. 

Other than Suggs, Gonzaga couldn’t match the athleticism of the Baylor team. Losing Suggs early in the game hurt the Zags. Playing in the WCC Gonzaga doesn’t go through the grind against tough teams like Baylor has. No way Gonzaga goes undefeated in the Big 12. 

Just now, soupslam1 said:

Other than Suggs, Gonzaga couldn’t match the athleticism of the Baylor team. Losing Suggs early in the game really hurt the Zags. Playing in the WCC Gonzaga doesn’t go through the grind against tough teams like Baylor has. No way Gonzaga goes undefeated in the Big 12. 

That undefeated dream would have ended a lot earlier if their scheduled regular season meeting with Baylor hadn’t been cancelled. 

10 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

If not this year, when?  When will Gonzaga break through?

Few is a legend.  They just need "that much better" better athletes.  The coaching is there...

Tuned in for the first 7 minutes and decided there wasn't a chance the Zags were going to seriously threaten the Bears and make it a game.  Very disappointing.  Watched a hockey game instead.