Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Naggsty Butler

NYT: Trump Campaign Grifted the Hell out of Trump Supporters

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/03/us/politics/trump-donations.html

But what the Blatts believed was duplicity was actually an intentional scheme to boost revenues by the Trump campaign and the for-profit company that processed its online donations, WinRed. Facing a cash crunch and getting badly outspent by the Democrats, the campaign had begun last September to set up recurring donations by default for online donors, for every week until the election.

The tactic ensnared scores of unsuspecting Trump loyalists — retirees, military veterans, nurses and even experienced political operatives. Soon, banks and credit card companies were inundated with fraud complaints from the president’s own supporters about donations they had not intended to make, sometimes for thousands of dollars.

“Bandits!” said Victor Amelino, a 78-year-old Californian, who made a $990 online donation to Mr. Trump in early September via WinRed. It recurred seven more times — adding up to almost $8,000. “I’m retired. I can’t afford to pay all that damn money.”

The sheer magnitude of the money involved is staggering for politics. In the final two and a half months of 2020, the Trump campaign, the Republican National Committee and their shared accounts issued more than 530,000 refunds worth $64.3 million to online donors. All campaigns make refunds for various reasons, including to people who give more than the legal limit. But the sum the Trump operation refunded dwarfed that of Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s campaign and his equivalent Democratic committees, which made 37,000 online refunds totaling $5.6 million in that time.

1357795718_didntseethatcoming.gif

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg

Unbelievable. Anyone who thinks that orange shit stain had any moral or ethical fabric woven into his DNA is badly mistaken or a simple Kool Aid Convert. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

They don't care, why should I 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

3 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Did anyone on this board contribute to a political campaign? I’m guessing not. 

I made small donations to a few candidates, they were all local though. One guy running for mayor in my hometown, a candidate for city council where I live, and a high school friend/teammate’s younger sister that was running for city council in my hometown. 

4 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Did anyone on this board contribute to a political campaign? I’m guessing not. 

I have on a couple occasions but the endless emails afterwards really turned me off.

8 hours ago, retrofade said:

:rotflmfao:

"I swear if you leave me, I'll kill myself!"

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg