Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

Boise State 2022 Recruiting

Oregon State transfer QB Sam Vidlak (class of 2020, .8639, #52 QB in that class)

He enrolled early at OSU, was #3 on the depth chart this year. Went 2/3 for 8 yards passing in one game against dogshit competition (Idaho). Had offers from Harvard, NAU, and Montana - committed to Montana his junior year, then picked up an Oregon State offer his senior year and flipped/enrolled early to the Beavers. Surprising to me that he transferred, was likely to jump into the #2 spot this season at Oregon State (thoughts @Orygun?)  Should help defensive staff prepare for the first game of next season if nothing else.

Not a huge fan of the Boise's class breakdown at the QB position.  Going to set up a bunch of transfers in the coming years.  And I think Green may have to switch positions or transfer.  He just doesn't seem like the fit for Plough's offense.

Hank Bachmeier (SR with 2 years eligibility left)

Andy Peters (walkon R-SO with 4 years eligibility left)

Taylen Green (R-FR with 4 years eligibility left)

Colton Fitzgerald (R-FR with 4 years eligibility left)

Sam Vidlak (Oregon State Transfer R-FR with 4 years eligibility left)

Colt Foltun (walkon R-FR with 4 years eligibility left)

On 1/8/2022 at 7:31 PM, Dirtball said:

Thanks. Unless im.missing something' doesnt  isnt  boise leading conference "by far, far " seem a little strong?

I agree with this. I've never considered total points to be "the best" recruiting class. I look at the average per recruit and think that's a better indicator to me. In that regard, Boise's class is fairly typical for them. Not their best but one of their better. But a handful of MW schools really upped their apr. Where Boise typically has separation from the rest of the pack, this year, I think it's pretty close with a few different MW schools. 

2 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Oregon State transfer QB Sam Vidlak (class of 2020, .8639, #52 QB in that class)

He enrolled early at OSU, was #3 on the depth chart this year. Went 2/3 for 8 yards passing in one game against dogshit competition (Idaho). Had offers from Harvard, NAU, and Montana - committed to Montana his junior year, then picked up an Oregon State offer his senior year and flipped/enrolled early to the Beavers. Surprising to me that he transferred, was likely to jump into the #2 spot this season at Oregon State (thoughts @Orygun?)  Should help defensive staff prepare for the first game of next season if nothing else.

Not a huge fan of the Boise's class breakdown at the QB position.  Going to set up a bunch of transfers in the coming years.  And I think Green may have to switch positions or transfer.  He just doesn't seem like the fit for Plough's offense.

Yeah, beaver fans were not happy about this one.  Good pickup for you guys.   

23 minutes ago, Orygun said:

Yeah, beaver fans were not happy about this one.  Good pickup for you guys.   

Boise needed to bring in a transfer QB. Bonus that he has 4 years of eligibility. Minus that he doesn't have much experience. 

On 1/8/2022 at 7:31 PM, Dirtball said:

Thanks. Unless im.missing something' doesnt  isnt  boise leading conference "by far, far " seem a little strong?

We added some NR to the end of the class that drug us below 8.5 and Some MWC teams added some high ranked recruits late.  

4 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I think we are going to see QB rooms with class breakdowns that look like this going forward.  With the portal you're just not going to see a QB sticking around into their Jr year unless they are the starter or have a legit chance to be the starter.  This is particularly true if a school has an entrenched starter like Bachmeier.

29 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I mean, he kind of is, but you never know.  

Seems like Gabe Franklin deleted twitter after he wasn't retained by the Avalos staff (I can't find where he's at nowadays).  Being teammates I wonder if there was some bad blood there?

From 2004:

image.png

Looks like Vidlak could be a good pick up. Honestly, I'm champing at the bit to see Taylen Green. He's really mobile, and if the scuttlebutt is true, then I'd like to see him spin it next year as a primer for 2023.

24570143_BSUBACKGROUNDBANNERANDY1AWELCOME.png.5fa1e131a0fec4c26c0be2f4d0a420eb.png

망치를 가진 남자에게는, 모든것이 못처럼 보인다.

원숭이도 나무에서 떨어진다.

14 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

6-8 and 330 lb OT would be nice. Visited Boise with Cortez Hogans (DE signee from Snow)

Looks good. It seems Boise hasn't done great with JC/transfer OL. Most are just contributors, at best. Klayton Adams was a good one, but he may have even been a walk on. 

How do you get over the sting of losing Jeron Johnson? Check out this resume: https://broncosports.com/news/2022/1/12/football-avalos-announces-hiring-of-warren-as-cbs-coach.aspx

Three coaches left this offseason and all three replacement hires were massive upgrades. I would assume with his experience, he's going to be the next DC when/if the job opens up. 

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

How do you get over the sting of losing Jeron Johnson? Check out this resume: https://broncosports.com/news/2022/1/12/football-avalos-announces-hiring-of-warren-as-cbs-coach.aspx

Three coaches left this offseason and all three replacement hires were massive upgrades. I would assume with his experience, he's going to be the next DC when/if the job opens up. 

He's no GA, but that's a pretty good replacement.  FCS head coach by age 31 is pretty impressive. I'm not sure I'd say he's a "massive upgrade" on Jeron, but all three of these coaches do seem more experienced at their positions than that of their predecessors. 

Avalos, Maile, Danielson, Ioane, Poppinga, and now Warren all have DC experience.

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Looks good. It seems Boise hasn't done great with JC/transfer OL. Most are just contributors, at best.

Could you imagine if Boise didn't have Osuji and Farrar last year though.  Just need healthy bodies at this point.  Riden Leong still has 2 years potentially, I wonder if his lack of play was injury related?

Wazzu guy will probably start immediately next year. IOL still seems like a huge question mark going into next year IMO.

On 1/10/2022 at 5:56 PM, MAD MACGYVER said:

Looks like Vidlak could be a good pick up. Honestly, I'm champing at the bit to see Taylen Green. He's really mobile, and if the scuttlebutt is true, then I'd like to see him spin it next year as a primer for 2023.

Don't head over to Bronco country.  The usual idiot crew lead by Houston Dixie saying he should transfer, change positions, etc...

3 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

He's no GA, but that's a pretty good replacement.  FCS head coach by age 31 is pretty impressive. I'm not sure I'd say he's a "massive upgrade" on Jeron, but all three of these coaches do seem more experienced at their positions than that of their predecessors. 

Avalos, Maile, Danielson, Ioane, Poppinga, and now Warren all have DC experience.

I was pretty surprised AA didn't hire a former head coach, which is a common practice for rookie head coaches. He should've done this with his original staff. This hire helps in so many areas. He led a non football school to its best season ever. As a DC had one of the best defenses in FCS annually. His original staff was really green and now they have a ton of experience while still staying young. I think all three of these hires were big upgrades.