Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TrueAg

USU MBB Head Coach Search

Since everyone else has a separate thread for their HC search, I figured I would start one for the Aggies. The Craig Smith to Utah thread has somehow devolved into a Utah vs Minnesota argument being driven by certain Rebel fans who are trying to work their own way into the dick measuring contest by brushing the dust off some microfishe evidence that they once had a massive dong in 1990. Oh, and ph needs $20 to find out his IQ.

In any case....

The names being thrown around by Aggie fans thus far:

• Tim Miles
  • Eric Peterson (Aggie Assistant under Smith) - now rumored to be following Smith to Utah
  • Joe Pasternack (so far, insiders say he is not on the short list)
  • Mark Madsen
  • Paul Mills (outside of this season his resume doesn't excite anyone)
  • Todd Simon
  • Casey Alexander (can't afford)
  • Archie Miller
  • Chris Burgess
  • Ed Conroy
  • Eric Konkol

2 hours ago, TrueAg said:

Since everyone else has a separate thread for their HC search, I figured I would start one for the Aggies. The Craig Smith to Utah thread has somehow devolved into a Utah vs Minnesota argument being driven by certain Rebel fans who are trying to work their own way into the dick measuring contest by brushing the dust off some microfishe evidence that they once had a massive dong in 1990. Oh, and ph needs $20 to find out his IQ.

In any case....

• Tim Miles
  • Eric Peterson (Aggie Assistant under Smith) - now rumored to be following Smith to Utah
  • Mark Madsen
  • Todd Simon
  • Archie Miller
  • Chris Burgess
  • Ed Conroy
  • Eric Konkol

Aggie fans honestly think they have a shot at Pasternack? I guess if the price is right, but I don’t see it at all. You can cross Miller off the list, too. 

4 hours ago, utenation said:

I’ve seen mixed reviews from Aggies on Miles.

What’s the scoop?

Tim Miles is sort of viewed as a retread and also doesn't exactly fit the description of what Hartwell said he was looking for in the next HC. He has specifically mentioned that it needs to be a high energy guy, especially following Smith. Some Aggie fans feel like he would be an okay hire and others don't think he moves the needle or is up to the task. Seems like a safe and low reward type of hire. There is also the odd dynamic of hiring the guy that your previous coach used to be an assistant for.

2 hours ago, B_Lootz said:

Aggie fans honestly think they have a shot at Pasternack? I guess if the price is right, but I don’t see it at all. You can cross Miller off the list, too. 

Pasternack makes what? $375k or so? It is believed that the position will pay somewhere between $900k-$1M unless it ends up being an unproven coach being given their first HC job in which it will start a bit lower. 

It doesn't sound like we'll need to worry about it anyway because it doesn't sound like he has been contacted thus far. He doesn't appear to be on Hartwell's radar for whatever reason.

It has been reported that Hartwell has spoken to Ed Conroy (former assistant at Minnesota) after their staff was let go but we don't know in what capacity. Most Aggies are hoping it wasn't to interview for the job. The two are former college teammates so it may have been to talk about potential candidates. Who knows? We do know Ed's brother is a current assistant at La Tech under Eric Konkol who is another rumored target.

3 hours ago, B_Lootz said:

Things can change.  But at this point it doesn't sound like he is interested in leaving UC Santa Barbara.   Upgrades made to the Thunderdome, a practice facility court donated.  Likely a pay raise coming.  All necessary improvements to retain a coach.

https://newspress.com/gauchos-look-to-build-on-the-success-of-ncaa-tournament-run/

15 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

What about Dave Rice? 

So far no smoke or mention of Rice. He was of course an assistant in Logan under Stew Morrill but this admin has no ties to that era.  

7 hours ago, TrueAg said:

Tim Miles is sort of viewed as a retread and also doesn't exactly fit the description of what Hartwell said he was looking for in the next HC. He has specifically mentioned that it needs to be a high energy guy, especially following Smith. Some Aggie fans feel like he would be an okay hire and others don't think he moves the needle or is up to the task. Seems like a safe and low reward type of hire. There is also the odd dynamic of hiring the guy that your previous coach used to be an assistant for.

Pasternack makes what? $375k or so? It is believed that the position will pay somewhere between $900k-$1M unless it ends up being an unproven coach being given their first HC job in which it will start a bit lower. 

It doesn't sound like we'll need to worry about it anyway because it doesn't sound like he has been contacted thus far. He doesn't appear to be on Hartwell's radar for whatever reason.

It has been reported that Hartwell has spoken to Ed Conroy (former assistant at Minnesota) after their staff was let go but we don't know in what capacity. Most Aggies are hoping it wasn't to interview for the job. The two are former college teammates so it may have been to talk about potential candidates. Who knows? We do know Ed's brother is a current assistant at La Tech under Eric Konkol who is another rumored target.

Cracks me up if some USU fans don't think Tim Miles is high energy. Not that I think Tim is a good fit in Logan.  

13 hours ago, TrueAg said:

In any case....

• Tim Miles
  • Mark Madsen
  • Todd Simon
  • Archie Miller
  • Chris Burgess
  • Ed Conroy
  • Eric Konkol

Mark Madsen is a dark horse on some SJSU fans' list. Since, he is from the bay area and has done a good job at UVU.

54 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Todd Simon would be interesting. I don't think he has the chops for it yet, but I am frequently wrong.

Yeah, it is looking like we are probably going outside of the state. Hartwell has said he has 6-8 guys he would like to talk to so Simon may get one of those interviews. Right now he seems to be a 3rd or 4th option at best.

25 minutes ago, Packman04 said:

Thoughts?

See post above:

It was already known that Conroy met with Hartwell but I don't think anyone really believes he's an actual viable candidate. They are former teammates at The Citadel and he may have just been a courtesy interview to an old friend. He doesn't match what JH is looking for. The only redeeming thing about Ed Conroy is that it is rumored that his nephew (current Minnesota player Liam Robbins) will follow him to wherever he ends up. Robbins (7'-0", 235lb) was a Junior this year for the Golden Gophers and averaged 11.7pts/6.6reb.

Dave Rice, Tim Miles, Todd Simon, Alford, the Krugers. The SJSU and USU coaching hires have a shot at making it a MWC reunion tour. 

Ed Conroy? .441 coach that got canned at Tulane-- Midwest guy through and through coming out West? Maybe he can do better with the recruiting boost he'd get in Logan lol!

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif