IanforHeisman

Gaetz under investigation over sex with a minor

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

I mean, I'm glad J-will won the title and I love that guy. But he was basically Mike Bibby for that team. There's no question Bibby put the Kings to another level that Williams just didn't have in him at the time.

One of my faves of all time though. Since we didn't win the title with Bibby, I'd have preferred J-Will's play during the same stretch. Including the balls int he stands from the wild errant passes. 

The craziest thing about White Chocolate, to me anyway, was that his HS basketball teammate was Randy Moss. That must've been one fun team to watch in BFE West Virginia.

2 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I never felt bad about the Dubs (or Giants) finally winning it all in spite of the onslaught of insufferable bandwagoners because I knew/know a lot of old dudes like your father in law who suffered for years and it was great to finally see them get something to go wild over.

And yeah, Sac is a great basketball town. It'd be great if they got winning again and made that new downtown place feel like the old Arco Arena in its heyday. I'd love to see it. When the Kings were good it was awesome. I remember just having moved to CA and being caught up in the fights between the Lakers and Kings fans at school. It was awesome. It'd be great to see something similar happen again.

I agree. There were a lot of times I really could't stand those teams being so good, especially since they were winning as the city and bay were changing so much. It felt like they were winning in front of different crowds. But I would always tell Joe (who knew my plight as  Kings fan, and who went to multiple SJSU games) that when I talk shit about SF sports fans, I don't mean you. You earned it mother+++++er. He got to take my nephew to the first Giants champs parade in 2010. I can only hope to do something like that someday. 

• Cheers 1

The craziest thing about White Chocolate, to me anyway, was that his HS basketball teammate was Randy Moss. That must've been one fun team to watch in BFE West Virginia.

Wow, didn't know that. Wild. 

3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I totally don't remember that. 

My grandpa was a huge fan of both of those dudes and I watched a lot of sporting events with him...and any time either of those dudes would be playing, he'd bring it up lol.

FWIW I always liked White Chocolate more than Bibby. Obviously they got further with Bibby but I always thought White Chocolate was the better player and was miffed when they traded him.

• Like 1

Funny thing - my FIL and I bonded over how much we hated Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy on ESPN's games. We also hated the Eagles. 

He was a good man. 

• Cheers 1
Just now, Joe from WY said:

My grandpa was a huge fan of both of those dudes and I watched a lot of sporting events with him...and any time either of those dudes would be playing, he'd bring it up lol.

Seeing two transcendent athletes in high school would be something else. I mean, both those guys changed their sports. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

Funny thing - my FIL and I bonded over how much we hated Marc Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy on ESPN's games. We also hated the Eagles. 

He was a good man. 

He sounds like he was a righteous dude.

Just now, smltwnrckr said:

Seeing two transcendent athletes in high school would be something else. I mean, both those guys changed their sports. 

They did. Randy Moss was the GOAT NFL wide receiver and J-Will single-handedly revolutionized the point position. And they both came from some shithole small town in West Virginia...at the same time.

So crazy.

• Like 1

He sounds like he was a righteous dude.

He was in the city and the larger Bay Area in the late 60s. His brothers were roadies and draft dodgers and poets and shit. And his aunts and uncles were FOB Irish priests and nuns. That family is great. Listening to them tell stories about the city is like sitting in a history lecture. 

• Cheers 1

He was in the city and the larger Bay Area in the late 60s. His brothers were roadies and draft dodgers and poets and shit. And his aunts and uncles were FOB Irish priests and nuns. That family is great. Listening to them tell stories about the city is like sitting in a history lecture. 

+++++ that must be awesome.

I always love to sit and talk to the old timers about the old days in the City.

• Like 1

+++++ that must be awesome.

I always love to sit and talk to the old timers about the old days in the City.

Dude was a heavy equipment operator and a surveyor in the city, too. Helped build multiple buildings in the skyline. And also worked on the GG bridge a few times. Smart dude, too. Loved Tom Waits. Hated Paul Wolfowitz. Good fisherman. Made a mean Tri Tip. I dunno what else you can ask of a lifetime, honestly. 

• Cheers 1

Dude was a heavy equipment operator and a surveyor in the city, too. Helped build multiple buildings in the skyline. And also worked on the GG bridge a few times. Smart dude, too. Loved Tom Waits. Hated Paul Wolfowitz. Good fisherman. Made a mean Tri Tip. I dunno what else you can ask of a lifetime, honestly. 

That's kind of touching all the bases, really. Honestly, living in SF in the 60s alone would be enough for 10 lifetimes as it is.

• Like 1

That's kind of touching all the bases, really. Honestly, living in SF in the 60s alone would be enough for 10 lifetimes as it is.

It's honestly interesting to listen to the family talk about the city. They seem to be concerned in a way that is unique about how it's changing. I'm trying to figure out if it is because they're just old now, and old people complain, or if they have the perspective after living through multiple changes to see this one as different. I dunno. 

• Like 1

It's honestly interesting to listen to the family talk about the city. They seem to be concerned in a way that is unique about how it's changing. I'm trying to figure out if it is because they're just old now, and old people complain, or if they have the perspective after living through multiple changes to see this one as different. I dunno. 

I've heard similar sentiments from a lot of the old beatniks I'm friends with. To be fair though, a lot of that talk has been quieted since a lot of the concerning changes got ran out of town with the pandemic. It'll be interesting to see the recovery though, and how that trajectory changes, if at all.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I've heard similar sentiments from a lot of the old beatniks I'm friends with. To be fair though, a lot of that talk has been quieted since a lot of the concerning changes got ran out of town with the pandemic. It'll be interesting to see the recovery though, and how that trajectory changes, if at all.

Yeah, I think COVID was a weird intervention. It'll be interesting to see what happens now, especially since I have heard that a lot of places are going to try to keep the remote work stuff. But at the same time, you look at the history of SF and California at large, and it's just wave after wave of assholes just coming in an +++++ing shit up. So there's a world in which the current situation is just part of a cycle. But it is still annoying. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

I mean, I'm glad J-will won the title and I love that guy. But he was basically Mike Bibby for that team. There's no question Bibby put the Kings to another level that Williams just didn't have in him at the time.

One of my faves of all time though. Since we didn't win the title with Bibby, I'd have preferred J-Will's play during the same stretch. Including the balls int he stands from the wild errant passes. 

I was mostly being facetious. Bibby was the better player in every way except for fun and entertainment. That trade saved me from being a Kings fan, because I loved those Webber/Williams Kings teams. Rooting for that franchise would suuuuuck. Being an NBA atheist is so much better.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Rooting for that franchise would suuuuuck. Being an NBA atheist is so much better.

*MAD FACE*