Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

Can Newsom do anything right? Trash

When Newsom was mayor of SF, he had the idea removing public trash cans would reduce litter.  Brilliant!

https://missionlocal.org/2021/03/newsoms-experiment-to-get-rid-of-public-trash-bins-in-san-francisco-seems-to-have-failed/

110926run_defense710.jpg

The fact that it took 14 years to come to this conclusion, along with the fact that New York tried the same thing and reversed course a lot faster, says more about the people still in SF than it does Newsom, who hasnt been mayor for a decade.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

11 minutes ago, RSF said:

The fact that it took 14 years to come to this conclusion, along with the fact that New York tried the same thing and reversed course a lot faster, says more about the people still in SF than it does Newsom, who hasnt been mayor for a decade.

I wonder if the homeless problems, protected by all the NPO's power in SF made it take longer to get a good analysis?  Not to say that this should have been ever thought to have been a rational idea.

If you want to see a model of a clean area to emulate, go to Disneyland.  Fricking spotless.

No joke, if you go to the corner of 24th and Mission at about midnight it looks like a landfill.

In the part of town I live in, it's not really a problem. But the closer you get to downtown, the worse it gets, until it's piles of garbage around each can every few blocks.

59 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

No joke, if you go to the corner of 24th and Mission at about midnight it looks like a landfill.

In the part of town I live in, it's not really a problem. But the closer you get to downtown, the worse it gets, until it's piles of garbage around each can every few blocks.

Well, looks like no La Taqueria for me.  Though I have little reason to go back to SF.  I would rather go to LA, and that is saying something.  That entire area needs to rethink how it utilizes its public space, and what it allows to take place in said spaces.

2 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Well, looks like no La Taqueria for me.  Though I have little reason to go back to SF.  I would rather go to LA, and that is saying something.  That entire area needs to rethink how it utilizes its public space, and what it allows to take place in said spaces.

I came out of El Farolito a couple nights ago and there was a guy standing right outside the doorway pissing on the side of the wall. There's routinely people passed out, shooting up, shitting, etc. everywhere. There aren't enough cops to enforce anything, and they're under pressure not to do anything anyway from the DA, so this is what results from it.

It's a real dystopia. I love it. But it's a dystopia.

Just now, Joe from WY said:

I came out of El Farolito a couple nights ago and there was a guy standing right outside the doorway pissing on the side of the wall. There's routinely people passed out, shooting up, shitting, etc. everywhere. There aren't enough cops to enforce anything, and they're under pressure not to do anything anyway from the DA, so this is what results from it.

It's a real dystopia. I love it. But it's a dystopia.

a couple years back I stayed in Tenderloin (yeah, I know), and the amount of what you are saying was staggering.  I spoke with a sheriff at tailgate and asked him why, and he said they have essentially been neutered on enforcing much in the public space.  I get that we need to be a bit more empathetic with regard to homeless and their issues, but this is the public walkway, parks and transportation.  Don't we all deserve to use it without extra caution?  The NPO's and community council's are way to narrow in their viewpoint on this.  SF isn't alone in this, but it does get the spotlight.  DFW actually surprised me with the amount I saw.  Not anything like the encampments in the west, but a decent number dispersed driving around the metro.  And Austin too, now that I think about it, but that is a liberal town, so not a huge shock.

3 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

You don't need to be smart to be a politician.

Signed,

M. Greene-Taylor

Laruen Boebert

Sarah Palin

Donald Trump.

:Clapping:

27 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I don't think it is really fair to put Palin in that group.  She gets an unfair rap IMO.

the dude your opinion GIF

58 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I don't think it is really fair to put Palin in that group.  She gets an unfair rap IMO.

1 hour ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Signed,

M. Greene-Taylor

Laruen Boebert

Sarah Palin

Donald Trump.

:Clapping:

C,mon she was a graduate of the Harvard of the west also known as the UI. 

3 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I wonder if the homeless problems, protected by all the NPO's power in SF made it take longer to get a good analysis?  Not to say that this should have been ever thought to have been a rational idea.

If you want to see a model of a clean area to emulate, go to Disneyland.  Fricking spotless.

Well, are there homeless in Disneyland?  LOL. 

They're a burden in every major metropolitan city.  What can be done for those with health and mental issues, even if they're taken off the streets?  They may no longer be seen, but they'll just create another rat infestation within the walls.  Meanwhile our taxes pay for their care.  Can't they be connected back to their families in some way?  They may just deny they have families so on and on it goes.         

As for the others I really wonder how many are actually trying to get out of that lifestyle.  When I read about Joe Blow being homeless for 5-10 years or more for example, that's what pisses me off.  Just ranting.

11 minutes ago, aztech said:

Well, are there homeless in Disneyland?  LOL. 

They're a burden in every major metropolitan city.  What can be done for those with health and mental issues, even if they're taken off the streets?  They may no longer be seen, but they'll just create another rat infestation within the walls.  Meanwhile our taxes pay for their care.  Can't they be connected back to their families in some way?  They may just deny they have families so on and on it goes.         

As for the others I really wonder how many are actually trying to get out of that lifestyle.  When I read about Joe Blow being homeless for 5-10 years or more for example, that's what pisses me off.  Just ranting.

Some of their employees when they clock out. :D

2 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

a couple years back I stayed in Tenderloin (yeah, I know), and the amount of what you are saying was staggering.  I spoke with a sheriff at tailgate and asked him why, and he said they have essentially been neutered on enforcing much in the public space.  I get that we need to be a bit more empathetic with regard to homeless and their issues, but this is the public walkway, parks and transportation.  Don't we all deserve to use it without extra caution?  The NPO's and community council's are way to narrow in their viewpoint on this.  SF isn't alone in this, but it does get the spotlight.  DFW actually surprised me with the amount I saw.  Not anything like the encampments in the west, but a decent number dispersed driving around the metro.  And Austin too, now that I think about it, but that is a liberal town, so not a huge shock.

I've stayed in the Tenderloin before...used to be some really good hidden deals in there as far as hotels go. Of course, since the Covid happened, the bottom fell out as far as hotels go, and you can now rent some high-end place for next to nothing...for the first 2 weeks here, I lived in the Hyatt Regency for 75 bucks a night. It was great.

Anyway, I also agree with you that they're letting things go too far here. I agree we should have some empathy for the bums, but when the bums get to where they defacto run things and it's a complete lawless zone (such as Mid Market), or where their behavior results in safety hazards (junkies attacking people on buses, people shitting on sidewalks, open shooting galleries in parks, etc.) it's crossed a line. I mean JFC, they turned the whole UN Plaza into a giant walled tent city where the cops aren't allowed to go into. You can imagine how that's going and what the surrounding area is like. It's nuts. I mean, it's not like the Loin or Mid Market were ever really nice areas to begin with...they've always been filled with riff-raff, but it never felt like you were walking around Balochistan or something either. Over the last 20 years of visiting or living in the City, I've never seen it quite this bad. I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been a Bernie Goetz type situation happen here yet.

I don't know where it ends either. The tech people never leave the house so they never deal with them, and people who do walk the streets just kind of get good at stepping over people/shit/needles/etc. And the cops don't do anything or aren't allowed to do anything. It just becomes more and more "A Clockwork Orange" every day. It's a problematic situation, and one I don't know will be solved anytime soon.

I like the City. I don't even mind dealing with the crazy homeless crowd. I always tell people I don't own a television because riding the 14 Mission at night is more entertaining on a nightly basis than any show one might watch on TV. I can see, though, how it would be a turnoff for many people, when even I get sketched out by some of the shit I see out there.

2 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

It really seems that the homeless/mental health issues are everywhere. I always thought it was more limited to the west until I started doing more domestic travel. San Antonio was one of the worst, there were aggressive homeless all over downtown and the riverwalk. It's a shame because it is a cool city, I had previously thought Texas was immune to all these issues.

We really need a national solution, this is no longer limited to SF and LA. It really seems to have drastically increased recently. And what is the cause?

I know we had the other thread talking about meth, is it meth addiction? The ACLU's ruling not to allow cities to enforce public camping unless allowing enough shelter space? I know some argue it's housing costs, but outside of the less visible homeless I don't think that's it (though it is obviously a huge problem). Is it closing all of our mental institutions in the 80s? That one I'm on board with, but why such a noticeable increase everywhere over the past few years?

It's so strange, and I don't understand why it isn't discussed more with our national politicians? Do they just spend such little time in public that they aren't aware? Public parks, even in many nice suburban areas now are basically all homeless camps.

I know LA just recently cleaned up the camps at Echo Lake, that was such a trip seeing all the people paddling with hundreds and hundreds of tents lined along the shore.

COVID-19 job losses will worsen L.A. homelessness by 2023, report finds |  KTLA

I just visited my friend in Venice Beach, and it's unreal how much a part of your daily life it becomes when you live there.

If there were a national politician that took on this issue, I don't care what party they were they'd have my support. This is also an easy path back to relevancy for Republicans in California, if they actually discuss solutions instead of the normal talking points.