Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoubleBlueGold

SJSU B-ball Head Coach Interviews

According to the site, all are current or former HCs. We need some with HC experience!! From teams in the WAC, Big Sky, Big West, WCC and MWC conferences. I like the rumored list.

San Jose State: Interviews starting here this week as well. Names that I’ve heard: Rick Croy (head coach Cal Baptist), Chris Jans (head coach New Mexico State), Marvin Menzies (former head coach New Mexico State and UNLV), David Patrick (associate head coach Arkansas / former head coach UC Riverside), Eric Reveno (associate head coach Georgia Tech / former head coach Portland), and Rex Walters (assistant coach New Orleans Pelicans / former head coach at San Francisco and Florida Atlantic).

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-3-29-21/

9 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

According to the site, all are current or former HCs. We need some with HC experience!! From teams in the WAC, Big Sky, Big West and MWC conferences. I like the rumored list.

I would be nervous if they hired Menzies because he would make SJSU competitive.  I thought Walters had some player issues when he was at San Francisco, didn't he challenge a player to a fight (Cody Doolin - UNLV)?  I know he had that program doing decent when they fired him.

9 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

I would be nervous if they hired Menzies because he would make SJSU competitive.  I thought Walters had some player issues when he was at San Francisco, didn't he challenge a player to a fight (Cody Doolin - UNLV)?  I know he had that program doing decent when they fired him.

Recalling that Wojcik was fired for player abuse, I doubt Walters would be considered if that is accurate of what happened. With that said, I assume that hoopdirt reports come from secondary sources. So although I really like this list, not sure how accurate it is. I do hope it is accurate.

36 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Recalling that Wojcik was fired for player abuse, I doubt Walters would be considered if that is accurate of what happened. With that said, I assume that hoopdirt reports come from secondary sources. So although I really like this list, not sure how accurate it is. I do hope it is accurate.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19958525/san-jose-state-head-coach-dave-wojcik-resigns-due-personal-reasons

15 minutes ago, crixus said:

I think he was allowed to resign and "save face", but was under investigation for player abuse. I think there was a recording of him aggressively bumping a player during a training drill. Something to that effect.

5 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

What happened to Dave?

Wocjik? See above.

Just now, Aslowhiteguy said:

Rice

I doubt the list above is a complete one.

I hope Tim Miles gets a shot at SJSU. He will stabilize that program imo. He could be a gem of a hire.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

13 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

I hope Tim Miles gets a shot at SJSU. He will stabilize that program imo. He could be a gem of a hire.

Miles would be a good choice as well.

5 hours ago, trvitmvnz said:

Croy, Jans and Menzies would be ace hires 

I'm not sure on Jans myself.

At 59 Menzies is at the twilight of his career, was not retained by GCU as an asstn. by coach Boyce. My choice for next SJS coach ,Jens,  ,Rex Walters ,Croy, Patrick .For some reason two great coaches Todd Simon, and Joe Pasternak of UCSB ,are not being interview at this time .Pasternak is my first choice.

While the MWC is a step up from the WAC (even though this year Abilene Christian and Grand Canyon outperformed SDSU and USU in the dance), it's hard to imagine that a coach would leave NMSU for SJSU.

But any of these would be great hires for SJSU. A young up and comer won't cut it, you know somehow who has a least had experience running a D1 program and knows how to recruit. There's no reason that SJSU can't have at least a decent bball program.

2 hours ago, bigd said:

While the MWC is a step up from the WAC (even though this year Abilene Christian and Grand Canyon outperformed SDSU and USU in the dance), it's hard to imagine that a coach would leave NMSU for SJSU.

But any of these would be great hires for SJSU. A young up and comer won't cut it, you know somehow who has a least had experience running a D1 program and knows how to recruit. There's no reason that SJSU can't have at least a decent bball program.

This is my thought on Jans as well.  He is not in the twilight of his career.  He can certainly find jobs that increase his pay if that's what he wants, but have a better chance of long term success than SJSU basketball.  To me, that position is like trying to hire a football coach for NMSU.  It's a really tough gig with the deck stacked against you for any type of long term success.  Having said that, Jans can flat out coach and would have SJSU playing competitive ball in a short amount of time with the middle of the MWC.  I personally don't see him going that route, i think he will have much better options in the near future.  We shall see.  

I also think Menzies has the right personality and temperament for SJSU, as opposed to a UNLV.  He can recruit and there wouldn't be a ton of pressure to win.

At the mid major level, any coach that has any type of success is going to have options.  Pope used UVU to get to BYU.  Smith went from USU to Utah.  And on and on.  

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

When was the last time SJSU had a decent hoops team? Seems like a grave yard for basketball coaches. 

We’ll see how committed they are to increasing their basketball budget to be competitive in the MWC by who ultimately gets hired.