Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thedude15

Houston is so lucky... Easiest path ever (seeding wise) to final 4. Average seed 12!!!!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Arkansas can be considered Midwest, so I'd say yes. 

Houston is definitely part of the southwest or Texan west. Look at the socio-cultural aspects of the area. 

I've never heard anyone or seen any text refer to Arkansas as the Midwest.  Southeast, Mid-south or even Mississippi Delta if you drill down to a sub-region level but certainly not Midwest.

8 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Texas is west and you don’t make it to the elite 8 by being lucky.  

I remember Memphis making the 2006 Elite Eight by beating (16) Oral Roberts, (9) Bucknell, and (13) Bradley....we were sleep walking in those games lol

mem skyline sig.jpeg

The west to me has always been states in the Pacific and Mountain time zones. I am sure it had a different meaning in the 1800's, but that is what makes sense to me.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

I've always considered the Mid West to be under the umbrella of the West. IMO, taking seed numbers out of it, Houston got great opponents up until now. Playing Syracuse and Rutgers (to a lesser extent) got the Eastern media all lathered up about the games.

By the time they play Oregon State tomorrow, they will have faced an ACC, B1G, and Pac. As a 2 seed, you'd expect they'd be the favorite most of the way.

3mxsBs3.jpg

1. Neither UH or Rutgers influenced the schedule that matched them.
2. UH and Syracuse were matched because each had won a game.
3. UH will play OSU beause each has won two games.
4. There have probably been easier paths in the history of the NCAAT.
5. Alabama has played the EXACT same seeds as houston..not one person has noted it.

6. Alabama couldn’t take advantage of their “easy” path to an Elite Eight.

7. UH can't do anything about higher seeds that lost.

But, nice try.

On 3/27/2021 at 8:26 PM, masterfrog said:

A banner year for western basketball. If Houston finishes, four western teams have advanced to the Elite 8 in one day. 

Houston is in the West? 

16 hours ago, Mano said:

The west to me has always been states in the Pacific and Mountain time zones. I am sure it had a different meaning in the 1800's, but that is what makes sense to me.

I always feel like the West starts on the edge of the Rocky Mountain front, like the lands leading up to it...so from about the MT/WY/CO/NM eastern borders on.

Though I guess West Texas feels like the West so that could count. El Paso definitely feels like an old time Wild West town. Eastern TX (where Houston and Dallas are) feels like the South though. Dallas in particular feels like Jacksonville without a beach.

Individual schools don't make the tourney bracket, the tournament selection committee sets up the bracket.  Every team then plays the game on their schedule.  Each team has to win and advance or they go home.  Houston is a really good team and doing what they are supposed to do, wining and advancing. This is what makes MM the best tournament in the world as Cinderella's and Blue Blood's all have the same chance.  Most people don't remember who everyone beat to get to the Final Four or the Championship, they just remember who won and got there.

14 hours ago, since1670 said:

1. Neither UH or Rutgers influenced the schedule that matched them.
2. UH and Syracuse were matched because each had won a game.
3. UH will play OSU beause each has won two games.
4. There have probably been easier paths in the history of the NCAAT.
5. Alabama has played the EXACT same seeds as houston..not one person has noted it.

6. Alabama couldn’t take advantage of their “easy” path to an Elite Eight.

7. UH can't do anything about higher seeds that lost.

But, nice try.

9-infinity. Houston got an incredibly lucky draw so far. They can make the final four without playing a single digit seed. 

Luck is part of the NCAAT. It is not an attack on Houston it is just a statement of fact. But guess what no matter how much luck Houston had they still have an elite eight banner they can hang (and likely a final four one). That is all that is going to matter 20 years from now. Over time people forget the journey and just remember the end result. 

So I would have gladly had a MW team or Big West team luck into a final four spot.  

It's rare for a P5 conference member to be considered a Cinderella but given OSU's basketball history the shoe definately fits.

Since being picked to finish last in the Pac-12 during the preseason, going .500 during the first 22 games of this season OSU won three games in three days to take the conference championship and automatic postseason bid and has since pulled off a series of upsets in tournament play against No. 5 Tennessee, No. 4 Oklahoma State and No. 8 Loyola Chicago to come within a victory of the program's first trip to the national semifinals since 1963.

I don't think OSU matches up all that well against Houston but given the run the Beavs are on anything is possible!

54 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

The premier school of the AAC this year ends up losing to a team that 9th place Wyoming b*tch slapped on the road. Can't wait to tune in... lol

I remember Virginia losing to chaminade(sp?) in Hawai’i and they ended up winning the title that season. Nobody cares how you get there just get there.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

19 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I remember Virginia losing to chaminade(sp?) in Hawai’i and they ended up winning the title that season. Nobody cares how you get there just get there.

Chaminade didn't beat UVa the year UVa won it all. They beat them in 1982 when Ralph Sampson was playing for UVa.

32 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

Nope.  that UVa team lost in the Elite 8.  That was the year Valvano and Company won it all.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.