Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

The Song You Love That’s Embarrassing To Admit

23 minutes ago, happycamper said:

great point. all those hair bands like greta van fleet and greta van fleet and greta van fleet and greta van fleet are rushing in to fill in their footsteps as well to the same sized crowds, a sure sign it isn't a dying genre

Back in the day bands like GVF without a modicum of originality in their repertoire were called out as poseurs.

23 minutes ago, Bob said:

If AC/DC is hair metal then I like hair metal

To anyone who is a true audiophile, AC/DC is definitely not hair metal as nobody in that band would be caught dead frizzing up their hair like that. Nor is AC/DC a heavy metal band. Heavy metal is characterized by a dirge-like sound epitomized by Sabbath and its progeny. AC/DC has never done anything slow like that.

3 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

Joe Ely Band touring with the Clash in England and Texas.  That’s was some good ‘80s sh!t. 

Prince.  Queen.  Tom Petty, all put out some good stuff in the 80's.  

80's was probably the best decade for Broadway, as well.

9 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You and your theater music :)

There was tons of good stuff in the ‘80s. Some solid mainstream rock.  The Austin, Texas scene evolved.  This one short guy named Stevie Ray had a blues guitar.  Even mainstream country hadn’t been garthed or bro’ed yet.  I miss Hoyt Axton.  Bluegrass Sunday nights in Boise. 

3 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I listen to nearly everything, and don't have much shame about it.  When flying, I will play the theme from Disney's Soaring over California (World) at takeoff.  Still, no shame, but it helps the initial nervousness.

For me it's Rhapsody in Blue. For ages United used it in their TV ads and it remains my choice for climb out during daytime departures.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

5 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Other than the 2010s, when Hamilton came out.

6 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

The first Van Halen album was pretty good. It was all steeply downhill from there though. And IIRC, Convert is a huge Van Hagar fan.

Dont hate on hagar. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

This is why I was hesitant to post on this thread.  Lots of judgement.

Why be embarrassed about the music you enjoy?  Everybody wants to be a critic.

8 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I've made this comparison before but I will make it again.  Saying your favorite genre of music is "hard rock" from the 80's is like saying your favorite meal is a pepperoni pizza with extra cheese from Pizza Hut.  It's fine up until about the age of 14.  The older you get, the sadder the statement becomes.

Hating on 80’s rock and now Pizza Hut?  WTF is wrong with you man?

10 hours ago, grandjean87 said:

Bluegrass rocked the ‘80s. 

@Wyoguns

Doc Watson throughout the decade and Merlefest starts late ‘80s.  Dirt Band revisits their ‘70s Circle album. Alison Krauss’ origins. Grateful Dead jamming.  Late ‘80s Bela Fleck. 

Bluegrass is cool AF.  Now and in the ‘80s. 

52 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

@Wyoguns

Doc Watson throughout the decade and Merlefest starts late ‘80s.  Dirt Band revisits their ‘70s Circle album. Alison Krauss’ origins. Grateful Dead jamming.  Late ‘80s Bela Fleck. 

Bluegrass is cool AF.  Now and in the ‘80s. 

Couple of songs here and there but not a fan overall.  I do like a few Alison Kraus songs...

14 minutes ago, Wyoguns said:

Couple of songs here and there but not a fan overall.  I do like a few Alison Kraus songs...

Point being — there’s always great music and art being done in many genres.  Thinking ‘80s hair band, metal, or heartland rock was all there was is moronic.  1980s did see a huge bluegrass revival, but Tina Turner got it done again then, too.  On and on.  I’m a bit jaded on the downshifts for any decade’s music give some folks’ limited range. 

Just now, grandjean87 said:

Point being — there’s always great music and art being done in many genres.  Thinking ‘80s hair band, metal, or heartland rock was all there was is moronic.  1980s did see a huge bluegrass revival, but Tina Turner got it done again then, too.  On and on.  I’m a bit jaded on the downshifts for any decade’s music give some folks’ limited range. 

For crying out loud I never said 80’s music is the end all be all.  I enjoy most of it but I also really like a bunch of songs from the 50’s and 60’s.  Never like a lot of the grunge from the 90’s when I was in college.  Each decade has its good and bad.

8 minutes ago, Wyoguns said:

For crying out loud I never said 80’s music is the end all be all.  I enjoy most of it but I also really like a bunch of songs from the 50’s and 60’s.  Never like a lot of the grunge from the 90’s when I was in college.  Each decade has its good and bad.

Dude, I tagged you because you gave the facepalm emoji to my semi-tic post that bluegrass rocked the ‘80s. Which it did.