Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

UNLV MBB Head Coach Search

14 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Odds are he's gone I would guess .....unless he's so in love with UNLV that he opts to stay with whoever becomes coach........heck, he might be one of the few players UNLV has if he stays 

If they hire Todd Simon or Steve Lavin, you never know.  It would be nice to hire someone with West Coast ties.

19 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

According to Sam Gordon of the Review-Journal, current players are on board with Pitino.

Gordon wrote: “A UNLV player who spoke to the Review-Journal on the condition of anonymity said ‘none of us are really fazed’ by Otzelberger’s departure, noting that Otzelberger addressed the team Thursday morning shortly before an official announcement.

“The player also mentioned Pitino as someone he would like UNLV to consider.”

https://theoffensive.vegas/2021/03/19/do-unlv-players-want-rick-pitino/

If Rick Pitino is the next UNLV coach, Mugtang can ban me and make PH a mod

1 hour ago, VincentVegaBond said:

I'm more interested on any word about players who are gonna bolt UNLV.

29 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

According to Sam Gordon of the Review-Journal, current players are on board with Pitino.

Gordon wrote: “A UNLV player who spoke to the Review-Journal on the condition of anonymity said ‘none of us are really fazed’ by Otzelberger’s departure, noting that Otzelberger addressed the team Thursday morning shortly before an official announcement.

“The player also mentioned Pitino as someone he would like UNLV to consider.”

https://theoffensive.vegas/2021/03/19/do-unlv-players-want-rick-pitino/

What is significant about this post is that it might indicate some of the UNLV players might end up staying. If you can keep 3 or 4 around for a little continuity that would probably help with a transition. I just feel like we've had enough rosters with only a couple of players returning.

2 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

What is significant about this post is that it might indicate some of the UNLV players might end up staying. If you can keep 3 or 4 around for a little continuity that would probably help with a transition. I just feel like we've had enough rosters with only a couple of players returning.

The indifference in this comment about TJO leaving does maybe open the door to guys staying.........Grimala's article said that TJO was probably going to cut loose about half the roster, so maybe now with TJO gone & the new guy needing bodies some guys stay............now the thing about guys staying: is that a good thing or bad thing. There's a bit of talent on the roster but I admit that if some left, I wouldn't sweat them leaving.

Either way, next year is looking like another dud transition with a cobbled together roster :shrug:

3 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

The indifference in this comment about TJO leaving does maybe open the door to guys staying.........Grimala's article said that TJO was probably going to cut loose about half the roster, so maybe now with TJO gone & the new guy needing bodies some guys stay............now the thing about guys staying: is that a good thing or bad thing. There's a bit of talent on the roster but I admit that if some left, I wouldn't sweat them leaving.

Either way, next year is looking like another dud transition with a cobbled together roster :shrug:

I think you keep 3 or 4 of them, and hit the transfer portal hard. Sure, grab a couple of freshmen, but you need some experience on the floor, especially if you can get a couple of transfers who have done well elsewhere (and not necessarily those from like San Fran, lol).

8 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I think you keep 3 or 4 of them, and hit the transfer portal hard. Sure, grab a couple of freshmen, but you need some experience on the floor, especially if you can get a couple of transfers who have done well elsewhere (and not necessarily those from like San Fran, lol).

The only player I feel fairly confident about staying is Coleman - He's a local guy, UNLV game him the chance to play, he'll be on his 3rd coach so he's been thru this twice already, he's not a high target for some other program to poach 

The rest I have no idea if they stay or go.........as you mentioned, maybe now with TJO out, some of the rarely used bench guys stick around because they might see more opportunity under the new staff - guys like Yap, Martinez, Wood, Tillis staying (highlighted below) - Maybe Del Cadia, think everyone else is iffy.

And the irony for Grill to leave Iowa St to follow TJO to UNLV, only to see TJO go back to where Grill just left :unsure:

0    Donavan Yap    G    6-3    175    Fr.        Las Vegas, Nevada        Arbor View HS
1    Moses Wood    F    6-8    210    So.        Reno, Nevada    Tulane    Galena High School
2    Trey Hurlburt    G    5-11    175    Jr.        Las Vegas, Nevada    Cal State San Marcos    Coronado HS
3    Caleb Grill    G    6-3    195    So.        Wichita, Kansas    Iowa State    Maize HS
5    David Jenkins Jr.    G    6-2    195    Jr.        Tacoma, Washington    South Dakota State    Sunrise Christian Academy
10    Edoardo Del Cadia    F    6-7    235    Jr.        Senigallia, Italy    College of Central Florida    Myerscough College
12    Jhaylon Martinez    C    6-11    260    Fr.        Vallejo, California        Dream City Christian
13    Bryce Hamilton    G    6-4    205    Jr.        Pasadena, Calif.    Pasadena HS    
14    Isaac Lindsey    G    6-4    190    Fr.        Mineral Point, Wisconsin        Mineral Point HS
15    Reece Brown    F    6-9    200    Fr.        Albany, New York        Loomis Chaffee School
22    Nicquel "Nick" Blake    G    6-6    200    Fr.        Las Vegas, Nevada        IMG Academy
24    Kendrick Gilbert    F    6-5    190    Fr.        Las Vegas, Nevada        Durango HS
30    Devin Tillis    F    6-6    215    Fr.        Los Angeles, California        Windward HS
31    Marvin Coleman    G    6-3    200    Jr.        Las Vegas, Nev.    Foothill HS    
34    Cheikh Mbacke Diong    F    6-11    235    Sr.        Dakar, Senegal    Florida Prep

1 minute ago, Poster17 said:

Any word on TJO's staff at ISU?  Did he take a lot of the guys from his staff here?  Is KK gone?  

Highly doubt KK leaves as he seemed to be a legacy hire to help local recruiting.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

Do Wood and Grill have to sit out a year because it's their second transfer or no?

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

2 minutes ago, Yellow Evan said:

Highly doubt KK leaves as he seemed to be a legacy hire to help local recruiting.

What about DeShawn Henry, former Durango HS coach, who came on staff and locked down Blake and Gilbert from there?  

2 minutes ago, Yellow Evan said:

Do Wood and Grill have to sit out a year because it's their second transfer or no?

Wood already sat out, so because of this covid year I don't think he would have to sit out if he left. Grill I think would have to, but I'm not sure.

And Iowa St fans would be happy to have him back, to come off the bench.

1 hour ago, Yellow Evan said:

I believe it is as if this year never happened and it is a free for all transfer with immediate eligibility.

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

Wood already sat out, so because of this covid year I don't think he would have to sit out if he left. Grill I think would have to, but I'm not sure.

And Iowa St fans would be happy to have him back, to come off the bench.

NCAA will vote on transfer waiver in April.