Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

UNLV MBB Head Coach Search

wow this thread fizzling out at 105 pages, the last UNLV coach search made it to 220. @mugtang should be even more pissed off at DRF for hiring Kevin Krugs than UNLV fans. Only a 80 hour~ coaching search? wtf she could of atleast milked it out for a full week for the Dark Lord. Coulda cracked a measly 150 pages then.  

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

6 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

wow this thread fizzling out at 105 pages, the last UNLV coach search made it to 220. @mugtang should be even more pissed off at DRF for hiring Kevin Krugs than UNLV fans. Only a 80 hour~ coaching search? wtf she could of atleast milked it out for a full week for the Dark Lord. Coulda cracked a measly 150 pages then.  

:oldman: 

And @4UNLV :rotflmfao:

36 minutes ago, PlayersinVegas said:

lol UNLV has the sorriest most delusional fan base in America. reading that thread and reading the Twitter replies makes me embarrassed to be a rebel because they reflect on the school. like really though.

Screenshot_20210325-083849.png

Screenshot_20210325-084035.png

Almost everyone was clamoring for a change that could potentially set the program back years. 

Be careful what you wish for.

I said it then and I'm still saying it. All drf had to do was just leave things alone. She couldn't help taking the opportunity to help herself.

My Dad, UNLV hoops fan who went to almost every game since the convention center days, passed 2 weeks ago today. He absolutely loved the Kruger years and Kevin was his favorite player.

He was my longtime game buddy. We went to almost every game together. I wasn't sure i could bear to go again, but this is a sign I have to. Dad would be over the moon with this news. Guess I have to drag my cousin to the games again. 

I know Dad is smiling down.

10 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

My Dad, UNLV hoops fan who went to almost every game since the convention center days, passed 2 weeks ago today. He absolutely loved the Kruger years and Kevin was his favorite player.

He was my longtime game buddy. We went to almost every game together. I wasn't sure i could bear to go again, but this is a sign I have to. Dad would be over the moon with this news. Guess I have to drag my cousin to the games again. 

Sorry for your loss. UNLV basketball is the #1 thing me and my dad connected with as well.  UNLV has a major father/son dynamic going for it now--so you definitely gotta keep going to games, your old man will still be there with you. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

49 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Sorry to hear this :(

Rant:

With Lon on board, I'm more hopeful that Kevin can get UNLV on track, maybe in the not too distant future. He might even end up being better. But I'm still having a hard time accepting that DRF didn't even look elsewhere, especially with money from the BASKETBALL buyout AND the donation. If ever there was a time to bolster the program that is supposed to be your bread and butter, this would have been it, especially knowing that it has the potential to make money for ALL of your programs when it's successful. If the athletic department itself was suffering because of the pandemic, with all the money they've gotten in the last few years from Learfield, had they not gotten the money donated and from the buy out in the last few weeks, they would have found a way. But to take money from basketball, when for once they needed it, badly, still just doesn't make sense to me. Spend money to make money, but instead we did the opposite, and used basketball money for something else. DRF herself is using UNLV as a stepping stone, and the sooner it happens, the better. We need someone who actually sees what UNLV basketball has been, could be, and should be with all the advantages we have here.

And yes, I realize this was all planned, maybe (but not likely) even to the point of TJ being stashed here with Kevin as assistant, until Pollard fired Prohm at ISU. He was always going back, and DRF took a lot of advice from Lon on the hire, as did TJ when he first got here. And yes, Lon is just that crafty, lol.

Ok, rant is over. I'll support Kevin as coach, he'll most likely do well, it's in his genes. I think he is a little more bulldog than his dad was, as well, and this will probably ultimately work out well for the rebs. Let's get the rest of the staff on board, and start nailing some recruits, we're going to need them.

26 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Rant:

With Lon on board, I'm more hopeful that Kevin can get UNLV on track, maybe in the not too distant future. He might even end up being better. But I'm still having a hard time accepting that DRF didn't even look elsewhere, especially with money from the BASKETBALL buyout AND the donation. If ever there was a time to bolster the program that is supposed to be your bread and butter, this would have been it, especially knowing that it has the potential to make money for ALL of your programs when it's successful. If the athletic department itself was suffering because of the pandemic, with all the money they've gotten in the last few years from Learfield, had they not gotten the money donated and from the buy out in the last few weeks, they would have found a way. But to take money from basketball, when for once they needed it, badly, still just doesn't make sense to me. Spend money to make money, but instead we did the opposite, and used basketball money for something else. DRF herself is using UNLV as a stepping stone, and the sooner it happens, the better. We need someone who actually sees what UNLV basketball has been, could be, and should be with all the advantages we have here.

And yes, I realize this was all planned, maybe (but not likely) even to the point of TJ being stashed here with Kevin as assistant, until Pollard fired Prohm at ISU. He was always going back, and DRF took a lot of advice from Lon on the hire, as did TJ when he first got here. And yes, Lon is just that crafty, lol.

Ok, rant is over. I'll support Kevin as coach, he'll most likely do well, it's in his genes. I think he is a little more bulldog than his dad was, as well, and this will probably ultimately work out well for the rebs. Let's get the rest of the staff on board, and start nailing some recruits, we're going to need them.

Someone needs to get this DRF on age discrimination.  This is a real thing and 20 years from now people will look back at what she does and say it was disgusting and likely illegal.  Age discrimination is not ok.

15 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Rant:

Hear hear.  Having Lon involved will certainly help to an extent, but in the end no matter how good a staff a head coach puts together the program in the end will sink or swim on the head coaches talent or lack there of.

Will be interesting to see what staff he puts together.  This can’t resemble a glorified AAU staff.  My understanding is part of the delay is what is going to happen at OU.  Lon is advocating Carlin Hartman for the job.

I’m skeptical he gets it, but if he does I would imagine he would try to keep most of the staff in place.  If he doesn’t get it would expect at least some of the OU staff to wind up in Vegas.

Watching him the one season he was at UNLV, Kevin appeared to be the typical coaches son; really good basketball IQ, leader, good communicator.  Hopefully those qualities transfer over to his coaching as they will be needed.   

The concern is understandable. He has the thinest resume in the history of anyone selected for the UNLV job following Jerry, and comes in at a time where the program has never been in worse shape.

I don’t doubt Lew Hill and Billy Tubbs passing moved him, but his son’s greenness and knowing the pressure of the UNLV job were the primary reason that made Lon’s decision.

19 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

Hear hear.  Having Lon involved will certainly help to an extent, but in the end no matter how good a staff a head coach puts together the program in the end will sink or swim on the head coaches talent or lack there of.

Will be interesting to see what staff he puts together.  This can’t resemble a glorified AAU staff.  My understanding is part of the delay is what is going to happen at OU.  Lon is advocating Carlin Hartman for the job.

I’m skeptical he gets it, but if he does I would imagine he would try to keep most of the staff in place.  If he doesn’t get it would expect at least some of the OU staff to wind up in Vegas.

Watching him the one season he was at UNLV, Kevin appeared to be the typical coaches son; really good basketball IQ, leader, good communicator.  Hopefully those qualities transfer over to his coaching as they will be needed.   

The concern is understandable. He has the thinest resume in the history of anyone selected for the UNLV job following Jerry, and comes in at a time where the program has never been in worse shape.

I don’t doubt Lew Hill and Billy Tubbs passing moved him, but his son’s greenness and knowing the pressure of the UNLV job were the primary reason that made Lon’s decision.

I was hoping Kevin would start with a new staff entirely. Not sure if having Tim Buckley or Slocum around will do any good.

4 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

She’ll be extended unless a P5 school comes calling. 

Agreed.  The only thing that would have put her on the hot seat before her '22 contract renewal would have been having to go before the highly dysfunctional Nevada Board of Regents to defend an expensive and controversial hire like Rick Pitino or a few others would have been.

3 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

How in the world is she one of the top 25 women in higher education?!?! That is outrageous! Probably one of those "awards" that are bought.

Personally I think she's done a better job than most other recent ADs at UNLV, which isn't saying a lot.

Only two of the 25 awarded were sports-related, DRF and the Stanford basketball coach who passed up Pat Summit to become the all-time winningest coach in women's basketball.

The reasoning was "first Hispanic female athletic director at the Football Bowl Subdivision level. She recently announced, along with Dr. Keith E. Whitfield, UNLV’s president, an $8 million gift from the James J. Baumberger estate to provide scholarship and strategic support for the Runnin’ Rebels men’s basketball program and UNLV Lady Rebels student-athletes. According to the university, it was the largest estate gift in UNLV Athletics history."... which sounds like great fundraising from boosters, but the estate gift was actually from a booster who passed away when TKM was AD it just got held up in the estate settlement process.

5 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Personally I think she's done a better job than most other recent ADs at UNLV, which isn't saying a lot.

Only two of the 25 awarded were sports-related, DRF and the Stanford basketball coach who passed up Pat Summit to become the all-time winningest coach in women's basketball.

The reasoning was "first Hispanic female athletic director at the Football Bowl Subdivision level. She recently announced, along with Dr. Keith E. Whitfield, UNLV’s president, an $8 million gift from the James J. Baumberger estate to provide scholarship and strategic support for the Runnin’ Rebels men’s basketball program and UNLV Lady Rebels student-athletes. According to the university, it was the largest estate gift in UNLV Athletics history."... which sounds like great fundraising from boosters, but the estate gift was actually from a booster who passed away when TKM was AD it just got held up in the estate settlement process.

That makes more sense. She won it solely based on her race and sex.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png