Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

UNLV MBB Head Coach Search

7 minutes ago, HoosierRebel said:

I'm not trying to defend the UNLV admin.  They have been so inept I sometimes wonder if it is deliberate.  After Beard left, you are right, Menzies was the only coach willing to answer the call.  It wasn't just how badly they bungled Beard's contract, and the complete clown show of the BOR meeting, it also had to do with how they fired Rice. It was definitely armature hour.

I don't think Menzies was the long-term solution for UNLV, but he should get credit for stepping into a bad situation and stabilizing the program.

It was a pretty simple problem then, just nobody cared or was willing to listen to what the problem was because the blinders were on and the irrational hate for Rice was off the charts.

TKM had no business being AD, and at that point, I was the only one on here calling for her to be fired, was calling for her to be fired for awhile actually. 

52 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Not sure where you get that idea. The COVID shutdowns have left a massive gaping hole in almost every state budget in the country, with yours being one of the most impacted. The $8M donation and whatever buyout the get for TJO will only mitigate a pretty significant net loss.

Not sure there isn't a public school in the country that isn't in this leaking boat.

UNLV athletics got a $57 mill multimedia from Learfield in 2017, which was a $25 mill jump from their previous deal. That's keeping the boat afloat.

The $8 million gift and $3.15 mill buyout ISU is $11.15 million for a paygrade upgrade. TJO was due $1.3 mill in Year 3. Using a fraction of that $11.15 million to bump up the new guy's salary from what Otz was gonna make at $1.3mill + $700k to $2 million isn't unrealistic, it's actually modest.

Under Kruger, UNLV was ranked the 8th most profitable program in the country, and was the financial driver for the whole athletic program. --that's because UNLV didn't f*cking cheapout and was dishing him $1.1 mill back in 08' during the Great Recession. What lead to UNLV's downfall? They cheaped out. Didn't counter Oklahoma's offer and even worse they hired Dave Rice who was happy to take $500k/yr and let UNLV profit from Kruger's $1 million buyout. 

If UNLV makes a huge, risky financial investment and goes after a Pitino or a Beilein the MBB cash would start RAINING again. Don't get me wrong,  UNLV will probably step over dollars to pick up pennies AGAIN and the program will continue to die. But there is some extra cash that gives hope that *maybe* there will be a change. You want to rebound post-covid? Sell the farm, hire Pitino. The Mack would be packed.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

9 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I believe he's a Majerus protégé. That's good enough for me. Make the call Utes

Payback for Pimm?

36 minutes ago, B_Lootz said:

A10 is certainly not a weak b-ball conference, but I’m talking about what HE’S done. He did win the A10 back to back in his final two years at UD, but followed each of those championships with swift exits in the first rounds of the conference tourney and big dance.

139-63 record, 4 NCAA tournament appearances in 6 years including an Elite 8 is more than enough of a resume for UNLV to not turn their nose up at it's current state. 

Since the Tourney went to a pool of 64 teams in 85, you realize of the 300~ D1 basketball programs, roughly HALF of them have never won a single NCAA Tourney game? Including several schools in this conference. 

Archie Miller has won 5 NCAA Tourney games, and took a team to the Elite 8, the only program in this conference that's even been to the Elite 8 or beyond since the tourney expanded is.....UNLV--and if he could bring Dayton there with their recruiting ceiling, I'd like to see what he can do w/ UNLV since we can land 4 and 5 star recruits 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

UNLV has had enough chances avoiding the big names, going for the cute picks of the supposedly decent mid major coaches on the rise, and ALL it has done is tank the program right down the friggen toilet. Either poney up the money for one of the few big names out there now or just cancel the basketball program no one is wasting money rooting for a bunch of LOSERS anymore especially with pro sports teams in town (one of which is at the top of its league)! 

39 minutes ago, mundyc3 said:

You are defending a coach that was fired two years ago. That is the definition of salty and living in the past. Ph 2.0 level. He was not good enough for UNLV and was fired as a result. Your revisionist history is hilarious to me and I am enjoying calling you out on it. Also beating a #6 SDSU was far more exciting than beating Reno that season. 

So by replying to your inaccurate and salty wrong positions that makes me salty and living in the past? Ummm no. Laugh at yourself.

That's just your opinion. Again, salty and slanted. Reno is a rival and was Lso ranked in the top 10. Of course you left that out because,  you know, salty and lying. 

25 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

It was a pretty simple problem then, just nobody cared or was willing to listen to what the problem was because the blinders were on and the irrational hate for Rice was off the charts.

TKM had no business being AD, and at that point, I was the only one on here calling for her to be fired, was calling for her to be fired for awhile actually. 

Idunno. There was a ton of hate for her. Funny thing is drf has come in and been far worse. 

Pretty sure I'm one of the first to want her fired. Both tkm and drf have been well below average. 

"Archie Miller was lucky at Dayton", is such a dumb take.

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

Just now, Rebels2k3 said:

He got exposed at Indiana. Tries using flashy names to describe his offense but he's not a great coach by any means.

I read where he's won 4 of 27 in games against ranked opponents.  He may be a good coach, but he isn't one of the guys who punches above his weight class.  

I bet he'd do well enough in Vegas.  No one has exactly lit things up in Bloomington since BK left the program.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 minute ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I read where he's won 4 of 27 in games against ranked opponents.  He may be a good coach, but he isn't one of the guys who punches above his weight class.  

I bet he'd do well enough in Vegas.  No one has exactly lit things up in Bloomington since BK left the program.  

Archie Miller is a poor man's Steve Lavin

5 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

He got exposed at Indiana. Tries using flashy names to describe his offense but he's not a great coach by any means.

I'm not talking about his Indiana job. Maybe he isnt a fit. Indiana is a tough job (expectations). But he was great at Dayton. 4 straight NCAA a trip to the Elite 8.  4 straight NCAA is anything but luck.

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

19 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Idunno. There was a ton of hate for her. Funny thing is drf has come in and been far worse. 

Pretty sure I'm one of the first to want her fired. Both tkm and drf have been well below average. 

In terms of embarrassment, TKM wins by a mile. She hired a HS coach and tarnished the basketball program on par with Maxson with sheer incompetence. 

I think with DRF, the problem is she’s too by the book and extremely risk adverse. Bottom line is the results aren’t there and she fired Menzies, her quote was that this team can win now. Obviously not. I can believe that she tried to keep TJO, explains the delay yesterday. Which baffles me after a losing season, which shouldn’t happen at UNLV. 

So I don’t know why (other than to not scare any prospective coaches) she’s trying to spin the result of a coach being poached after a losing season as a positive of the program, also knowing the entire roster will probably bail. 

2 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Indiana, UCLA, and UNLV are all in a similar boat. Trying to find the next Knight, Wooden, and Tark and having zero patience for anything else. I'd totally be down for giving him the benefit of the doubt for not getting it done w/ Indiana. lol memba when Tom Crean lost his sh*t when Dwayne Morgan choose UNLV over Indiana. Bloomington f*cking sucks. 

Miller likes fastbreak offense and the does the same pack-line defense that Dutcher/SDSU employs. You want Runnin' Rebel basketball, he could be the guy. He take advantage of UNLV's recruiting capabilities and the battles with Arizona would be great. Would love to rekindle that rivalry. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

16 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Bernstein is the man.

1 minute ago, Rebels18 said:

Indiana, UCLA, and UNLV are all in a similar boat. Trying to find the next Knight, Wooden, and Tark and having zero patience for anything else. I'd totally be down for giving him the benefit of the doubt for not getting it done w/ Indiana. lol memba when Tom Crean lost his sh*t when Dwayne Morgan choose UNLV over Indiana. Bloomington f*cking sucks. 

Miller likes fastbreak offense and the does the same pack-line defense that Dutcher/SDSU employs. You want Runnin' Rebel basketball, he could be the guy. He take advantage of UNLV's recruiting capabilities and the battles with Arizona would be great. Would love to rekindle that rivalry. 

If you thought Rice was bad, wait until you meet Archie Miller