Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

UNLV MBB Head Coach Search

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Not really.  Winning at Buffalo isn’t the same as winning at Alabama.  Yet, Nate Oats has been able to do both.  Most P5 head coaches are hired from the mid major level.

Yes but its a crap shoot.  Tj MM are examples

Just now, slappy said:

Yes but its a crap shoot.  Tj MM are examples

Hiring any coach has a certain level of risk.  I wouldn’t have believed it if you told me that Buzz Williams would be in the 130s in KenPom his first two years at Texas A&M.  I do think he will get it turned around though.

4 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Hiring any coach has a certain level of risk.  I wouldn’t have believed it if you told me that Buzz Williams would be in the 130s in KenPom his first two years at Texas A&M.  I do think he will get it turned around though.

I hear you.  But some coaches will win where ever too.  And they are known.  And they would go to Vegas for enough $.   That is the sad part.  Most MW schools can not bring in an established coach easily.  You can.  You could win easily in this conference.  Instead you hover around .500 for the past 10 years. It makes zero sense.  Hire a name.  Compete and win the MW and make noise in the tournament.  Don't hire another summit guy or a high school guy.   That is laughing stock stuff.   You guy are unlv and you know how to treat a woman.  

10 minutes ago, slappy said:

I hear you.  But some coaches will win where ever too.  And they are known.  And they would go to Vegas for enough $.   That is the sad part.  Most MW schools can not bring in an established coach easily.  You can.  You could win easily in this conference.  Instead you hover around .500 for the past 10 years. It makes zero sense.  Hire a name.  Compete and win the MW and make noise in the tournament.  Don't hire another summit guy or a high school guy.   That is laughing stock stuff.   You guy are unlv and you know how to treat a woman.  

77F0F94A-C8A5-461F-84DD-8BD34B31A109.jpeg

10 minutes ago, slappy said:

6 hours ago, rebelcuff said:

You are taking into account that DRF is stupid right? If these are candidates that are reasonable and that you actually want it's a awful list. Tim Miles is a better candidate then any you put. 

DRF is a mixed bag. She’s done everything by the book, handling coaching searches correctly, overseeing unprecented investments in coaching salaries and infrastructure etc. Yet the results are bad, losses are just piling up, fans interests are dwindling. 

As far as the basketball program goes, the best case scenario is TJO stays and there’s minimal roster turnover, maybe adding two or three transfers. If not, they need to hire a proven recruiter (Pasternak is my #1 choice) with a lot of connections given that UNLV would likely be facing another off-season of wholesale roster changes. 

The problem is, is the job attractive to someone like Pasternak? UNLV has been dysfunction junction since Kruger left and he left with a 161-71 record. Rice was 98-54. Since the firing of Rice (which many on here said would be the cure to UNLV basketball) UNLV has been a MEDIOCRE 80-78. Barely .500 basketball.

To me that’s unacceptable. I think it’s unlikely to happen but you have to start at the top and get an AD that can instill a winning culture. 

On 3/7/2021 at 10:55 PM, Rosegreen said:

Pasternak hasn’t won anything meaningful yet, that is what attracts those programs you cited. It would be a medium risk, high reward gamble to wait another season. If they have another 22 or so win season with nothing to show for it, he’ll end up with a similar reputation than what Menzies had at NMSU and Santa Barbara isn’t a bad place to be stuck at. 

It’s a high risk, high reward if he leaps to UNLV but it will come down to what he thinks about the job. He was looked at by UNLV in 2016 when he was at Arizona but UNLV was looking for someone with HC experience (Cronin, Beard,  Menzies etc.). He’s got some experience as HC now but still lacking a resume that wows, maybe that changes in the big west tournament. 

With UCSB earning an NCAA bid, the risk for Pasternack staying another year is reduced.  Mostly everyone will return and even if McLaughlin, Ramsey and Cyrus move on there are some talented guards coming to replace them. 

UCSB isn't a stepping stone job either.  Only three head coaches since 1983.  

49 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

With UCSB earning an NCAA bid, the risk for Pasternack staying another year is reduced.  Mostly everyone will return and even if McLaughlin, Ramsey and Cyrus move on there are some talented guards coming to replace them. 

UCSB isn't a stepping stone job either.  Only three head coaches since 1983.  

Can UCSB give him a significant raise? Either way Pasternack is going to cash in on his chips this season. He has a lot of leverage now that they have gone to the Dance. 

It also depends on whether Pasternak views the UNLV job favorably. There’s been a lot of roster turmoil at UNLV over the years. If he believes that he can quickly recruit and fill spots, then he may make the leap. In terms of money, he would easily triple his salary at UNLV and he has a very cheap buyout at 100k. 

We’ll see what happens, Iowa State has to start this domino effect. 

52 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Can UCSB give him a significant raise? Either way Pasternack is going to cash in on his chips this season. He has a lot of leverage now that they have gone to the Dance. 

It also depends on whether Pasternak views the UNLV job favorably. There’s been a lot of roster turmoil at UNLV over the years. If he believes that he can quickly recruit and fill spots, then he may make the leap. In terms of money, he would easily triple his salary at UNLV and he has a very cheap buyout at 100k. 

No idea. UCSB supposedly gave his predecessor Bob Williams a raise in 2002 to keep him away from UNM.  With facility upgrades happening on campus for other sports, a chancellor who views Pasternack quite favorably, and a p3 facility nearby in Santa Barbara proper, I'd like to believe the money is there for a raise this go around.  

Speaking of Jerry Pimm - who up and left Utah after five NCAA appearances in nine years (including two NCAAT wins in 1983), and three top-25 finishes, for sunny Santa Barbara...

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/10/12/21504395/former-ute-basketball-coach-jerry-pimm-favorite-players-best-season-most-disappointing-game

“I wanted to get out of the cold and get back to California, near my folks and my wife’s folks,” he said. “Everyone in the industry thought I was nuts. They said, ‘What are you doing, going to a program that’s won two games (actually seven), and is on probation? I said, ‘Obviously you haven’t been to Santa Barbara, California. It’s very unique, beautiful, not crowded, just two stop signs on the 101 at the time ...’ Our kids were already gone and out of the house, so it was a clean break.”

The Gauchos gradually improved, going from 10 wins in his first season to 16 in his fourth season. Then in 1987-88, the Gauchos went 22-8 and made it to the NCAAs and followed with a pair of 21-9 seasons, the latter which included an NCAA tournament win.

Pimm earned his first NCAA bid in year five.  By his 10th year he racked up two NCAA bids and three NITs.  And as @4UNLV, @SharkTanked , @Ernie Baer know well - the Big West of then was quite different then now.  Yet Pimm wasn't hired away.  He retired in 1998.  The same reasons he stuck around, the same reasons Bob Williams stuck around, are still there for Pasternack in 2021.

Not much has changed in 40 years that makes UCSB a stepping stone job.  And having a top 50 team return only makes things easier.

53 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

It also depends on what happens in the NCAAs.  A UCSB win over Creighton will get Iowa State's, Indiana's, Minnesota's, Arizona's attention. A sweet 16 run like Seth Davis is calling for?  Pasternack jumps to the front of the line.

Then it's bye bye Joe - unless he loves Santa Barbara like the last two coaches did.

29 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

No idea. UCSB supposedly gave his predecessor Bob Williams a raise in 2002 to keep him away from UNM.  With facility upgrades happening on campus for other sports, a chancellor who views Pasternack quite favorably, and a p3 facility nearby in Santa Barbara proper, I'd like to believe the money is there for a raise this go around.  

Again, only three head coaches in almost 40 years.  Both Williams and his predecessor Jerry Pimm  retired on the job.  It's not a place head coaches just leave. 

Possible. Maybe he’ll be like Mark Few, staying where there is security but forgoing multimillion dollar deals. Few could easily get 6-8 million annually elsewhere. 

I don’t know what UCSB financials are like but they have to know they are paying Pasternack peanuts. 

Not surprised that you’ve only had 2-3 coaches in 40 years. Santa Barbara itself is a stable little town, nothing too crazy goes on there and everybody is easygoing. Total opposite of Vegas. 

18 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

The thing is

It also depends on what happens in the NCAAs.  A UCSB win over Creighton will get Indiana's, Minnesota's, Arizona's attention. A sweet 16 run like Seth Davis is calling for?  Pasternack jumps to the front of the line.

Then it's bye bye Joe.

Call me crazy but he might get Kentucky’s attention. Yes, Cal has an insane buyout, but man peek the Cat board. They are ready to have Cal’s head on a spike. They are about to run him out of town. 

7 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Call me crazy but he might get Kentucky’s attention. Yes, Cal has an insane buyout, but man peek the Cat board. They are ready to have Cal’s head on a spike. They are about to run him out of town. 

Ok. Crazy. Zero chance to calipari is gone, and even if he would go Joe wouldn’t be near top of the list. 

53 minutes ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

UNLV isn't able to hire a successful coach in a major conference, that's the reality of all jobs outside of that level. UNLV is choosing from lower level schools, retreads, or assistants, they have no other choice. 

UNLV has also attracted quite a few NBA coaches, ex players and assistants in the recent past like George Karl, Jason Kidd, Mike Miller, Mike Brown, etc. I would suspect that these types of entrants will surface again if the job reopens. 

I'd like to see UNLV more seriously entertain poaching an experienced NBA assistant or ex head coach to go along with retreads and existing head coaches. No assistants. No 1st or 2nd year head coaches.

1 minute ago, Rosegreen said:

You're crazy.  The only way he gets Kentucky's attention is by advancing to the Final Four which means upsetting Gonzaga. We have a nice team but I'm not that drunk on the blue kool-aid.  

Joe is from New Orleans so I'm sure he's seen a few Cats folks in his day 

I gotta say though @Rosegreen, those cats faithful sure know their tunes. 

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/bump-this-thread-if-when-you-want-john-calipari-out-of-here.336478/post-9512394

Draft night "

(To the tune of the Statler Brother's
"Flowers on the Wall")

I keep hearing you're concerned about my sanity. That Cal make me deny reality.
But we haven't been to the final four in over 6 years, So if I'm living in the past, it's just to hide my tears.

No banners on the wall, I just might fall,
And the coach who brought us fame
Won't even mention us unless it’s the NBA!
Smoking wacky weed and watching games from 92’.  Now don't tell me we're NBA U.

Last night I dressed in my Cal tshirt and went out on the town. As long as we play SEC U. it's hard to keep us down.

But NCAA tourney play is coming, and I know that won't be good. So when things get bad just look for me in 2001

No banners on the wall
I just might fall,
Won't even mention us unless it’s the NBA.
Smoking wacky weed and watching games from '92
Now don't tell me we're NBA U.

It's good to see you, I must go, we have a game tonight.
I need a drink to get my eyes accustomed to the sight.
On offense we just run around until we shoot a brick
And they call us 'NBAU” because that’s what’s cool!

No banners on the wall
I just might fall,
Won't even mention us unless it’s the NBA.
Smoking wacky weed and watching games from '92