Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebels2k3

LVRJ on Rick Pitino: "Multiple people insist he is interested in the UNLV job after missing out in 2019 when Otzelberger was hired."

5 minutes ago, Jersey Rebels said:

UNLV schedules ranked opponents, or potentially ranked opponents, in non-conference almost every year. Your joke makes no sense. Trolling without sense is no way to go through life, son. 

I stand corrected so I'll amend my joke: a ranked opponent within the MWC.

8 minutes ago, Jersey Rebels said:

Pitino isn't coming here, but it's clear that we should have taken the chance on him in 2019 if he was actually interested. 

he probably wasn't interested, I think Pitino  got Menzies the job originally that was like his third time interviewing and second in the frame of a months during that time so if he real about relationships. He probably wasn't a possibility

1 hour ago, Rosegreen said:

Pay Iona 1 million dollars annually for ten years. Problem solved. 

There are ways dude. Believe me.

image.gif.19327ad0e6c55ec7aced9f2a3cb89180.gif

I saw somebody said they were going to start a go fund me account for the buyout. Between that and bake sales we should be ok. You make cupcakes, I'll make cookies, @Rebels18 is making the brownies :hookah:. Done deal.

And anyway, we only need $7 mill after the $3 mil buyout. We got this.

I gotta go upgrade my season tickets.

4 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I saw somebody said they were going to start a go fund me account for the buyout. Between that and bake sales we should be ok. You make cupcakes, I'll make cookies, @Rebels18 is making the brownies :hookah:. Done deal.

And anyway, we only need $7 mill after the $3 mil buyout. We got this.

I gotta go upgrade my season tickets.

Maybe Mug can give the proceeds to selling MWCBoard to the fund, as well. 

I think Pitino stays at Iona..  He is a New Yorker and likes living there, plus he is a horse owner and Saratoga is right there too.  Also, he just bought a house on Winged Foot golf course.  Lastly, I doubt he wants to coach in the same conference as his son, now that Jr. is at NM.  My bet he uses this for a bump in pay at Iona before retiring in about 3 years.

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

I would be okay with Steve Lavin if other options fell through.  He’s a West Coast guy and would be a good fit.  And he wants the UNLV job.

St. John’s Hires Lavin as Coach - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Good luck

"At a high school tournament near Seattle, while coaches and scouts sat in the bleachers taking notes on prospects, Lavin watched the games from the side, pedaling away on an exercise bike until he was soaked with sweat.

It was incidents like these that prompted Baron Davis, a former N.B.A. all-star who played for Lavin during his two years in college, to remark on a return to Pauley Pavilion that his U.C.L.A. teams should have been recognized along with the university’s 11 national championship teams with a banner of their own — as the first team to make the N.C.A.A. tournament without a coach.

Many players felt similarly about Lavin, but they liked him personally, and many said those relationships were a reason they seemed to play best when Lavin was under fire. One such time was in 2001, when the U.C.L.A. athletic director at the time, Pete Dalis, acknowledged that he had spoken with Rick Pitino, who had recently been fired by the Boston Celtics."

2 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

St. John’s Hires Lavin as Coach - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Good luck

"At a high school tournament near Seattle, while coaches and scouts sat in the bleachers taking notes on prospects, Lavin watched the games from the side, pedaling away on an exercise bike until he was soaked with sweat.

It was incidents like these that prompted Baron Davis, a former N.B.A. all-star who played for Lavin during his two years in college, to remark on a return to Pauley Pavilion that his U.C.L.A. teams should have been recognized along with the university’s 11 national championship teams with a banner of their own — as the first team to make the N.C.A.A. tournament without a coach.

Many players felt similarly about Lavin, but they liked him personally, and many said those relationships were a reason they seemed to play best when Lavin was under fire. One such time was in 2001, when the U.C.L.A. athletic director at the time, Pete Dalis, acknowledged that he had spoken with Rick Pitino, who had recently been fired by the Boston Celtics."

I don’t really care about an article from 20 years ago.

6 hours ago, PlayersinVegas said:

Lol I mean with what he recently said about IONA lol why would you trust him

Is Iona your last stop?

My buyout is so absurd. My buyout at Louisville and Kentucky was like half-a-million and it goes down to $100,000 in five years. My buyout at Iona is $10 million, $10 million, $5 million, $2 million, $2 million. I said to the president, "I told you this was my last job. What kind of a thing is that?" And he said to me, "Coach, I trust you implicitly." And I said, "Well why would you put such a ridiculous buyout in there?" And he says, "Well, I trust you. But nobody on the board of trustees thinks you're going to stay." I didn't mind at all. I know it's my last job.

https://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/rick-pitino-coach-talks-iona-gaels-louisville-cardinals-recruiting-interview-2020

Agree. You can't hire him after this statement and maintain any credibility as program.  He literally made himself un-hireable

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Lavin would be a great hire if he brought along some good assts to do the coaching. He fits the Vegas image, the guy can recruit, and he has national contacts. If the Rebs took a chance on Rice, Menzies, and Otz, Lavin has a lot higher potential upside than those guys. He would also be great PR for UNLV and the MWC. 

Pitino sounds like a pipe dream. 

Pitino has the passion, profile and persona.  It would be a perfect fit for him in Vegas. But he also doesn't need the money and I want to believe him that Iona is his last job.  It would come full circle, finishing up at a small school in New York.

This year is among his best coaching performances.  A #9 seed in the MAAC in his first year, still wins the conference tournament and avoids a #16 seed?  Impressive.

If UNLV can hire him away, awesome.  If not, then Iona is indeed his final school.

7 hours ago, Amaru523 said:

There's about a -350% chance he'll be our next coach.

Father and Son as HC in the same conference?  Has that ever happened?

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

I would love to see big Rick at UNLV because of the attention and prime time TV money it would bring to the MWC. But looking at the history of the Rebs hiring coaches there is very little chance Pitino will get the job this time especially with that 10mil buyout.

5 minutes ago, nmlongbow said:

I would love to see big Rick at UNLV because of the attention and prime time TV money it would bring to the MWC. But looking at the history of the Rebs hiring coaches there is very little chance Pitino will get the job this time especially with that 10mil buyout.

Two years ago he didn’t have that buyout. The Rebels should have put on a full court press to hire him at that time. 

Pitino to UNLV is like the boy who cried wolf. It's been teased so many times by now that if it ever does happen, nobody will even believe it. Who can forget "Done Deal Dave" McCann or Harter dropping his wife at the airport? The ghosts of UNLV past...

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

1 hour ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Pitino to UNLV is like the boy who cried wolf. It's been teased so many times by now that if it ever does happen, nobody will even believe it. Who can forget "Done Deal Dave" McCann or Harter dropping his wife at the airport? The ghosts of UNLV past...

I remember the newscast where Dave said it was a done deal. Things you'll always remember....