Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Shawn Bradley in a major bike accident. He's now paralyzed.

14 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Horrible news.  Life can change in an instant.  Seems surprising that a driver wouldn't notice someone of Bradley's size on a bike.

Road biking is taking your life into your hands. People just drive too fast and don’t always see people on bikes. 

21 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Road biking is taking your life into your hands. People just drive too fast and don’t always see people on bikes. 

It seems like a lot of people are fine pulling out their phones while driving because they feel like they can still see what cars are doing around them in their peripherals. What those people don't realize is that it's a lot harder to notice a bike, pedestrian, animal, etc. compared to a car. 

Not sure of the facts of this accident, just an observation.  

27 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

This is very true. I ride dirt and I ride the road. I get buzzed by cars on the regular, most of the time when there’s no obstacle preventing the car from swinging wide. I am certain some of it is purposeful, as the vehicles most prone to sliding past too close for comfort are large SUVs and trucks driven by assholes with little dicks. I’m sure some are distracted by their phones or whatever, and some are simply the type of driver that is incapable of focusing beyond the road directly in front of their vehicle to maybe 100’ and notice nothing in the periphery. And then there’s the element who believe in the primacy of the automobile: all others on the road beware and make way. They probably inhabit all three of the previous descriptions of scary drivers.

Anyway, I am aware of the risk I take whenever I roll out on the road and try to be as attentive to my surroundings as possible. Some day that may not be enough. 

Do you know if he's paralyzed from the neck or waist down @#1Stunner? I would not wish this on my worst enemy let alone a quality individual like Shawn Bradley. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Guest #1Stunner
12 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Do you know if he's paralyzed from the neck or waist down @#1Stunner? I would not wish this on my worst enemy let alone a quality individual like Shawn Bradley. 

I only know what was said in the news release above.

35 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

The news release Stunner posted states paraplegia. If that’s the case, he’ll have partial to full use of his upper extremities; tough no matter how you slice it, but better than being a quadriplegic by a long shot. 

57 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

The news release Stunner posted states paraplegia. If that’s the case, he’ll have partial to full use of his upper extremities; tough no matter how you slice it, but better than being a quadriplegic by a long shot. 

This is extremely morbid, but if I were quadriplegic I think I'd struggle to have the will to live. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

I can’t stand the idiots on bikes while on main streets. I blow the horn and throw water bottles at those clowns. 

17 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

This is extremely morbid, but if I were quadriplegic I think I'd struggle to have the will to live. 

I don’t think that’s morbid. I’m sure it’s a reality most in that situation confront, probably more than one time, while living in that condition, particularly if physically active pursuits were a major part of their life up to the point they became a quadriplegic. It would also be brutal for me to reconcile that existence against the lifestyle I pursue today. 

3 minutes ago, AxlRoseRulz said:

I can’t stand the idiots on bikes while on main streets. I blow the horn and throw water bottles at those clowns. 

Check your local laws regarding bicyclists’ roadway rights. Chances are they have about the same rights on that roadway that you have and are subject to the same rules too. Sure, there’s some dumbass bike riders. They should be reported to the police, not run off the road or have objects thrown at them that could cause injury (that’s happened to me more than once, and never because I was impeding auto traffic, outside of a bike lane, or doing anything other than riding within the rules of the law).

Bicyclists are not nearly the danger to automobiles that automobiles are to bicyclists or other automobiles. You ought to keep that in mind the next time your two brain cells rub together and kindle the thought to honk or throw something at anybody.

3 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

How thoughtful of you.

Probably a troll, but if serious, seems dumb as a rock, which likely applies to most of the dipsticks who do that sort of thing. 

Guest #1Stunner

Here are some photos of Shawn Bradley with his custom mountain bike before the accident.

Shawn Bradley and His Custom Built Bike

653584.jpg

https://www.deseret.com/2011/11/10/20389469/dumbfounded-shawn-bradley-wonders-why-anyone-would-steal-custom-made-bike#shawn-bradley-shown-here-riding-his-custom-made-bicycle-that-was-stolen-during-a-recent-burglary

Bradley took up cycling because he needed to get healthy again. He had taken time off following his NBA career to let his body recover, but also packed on the pounds, ballooning from his playing weight of 275 pounds to 335.

"I just wasn't feeling good," Bradley said.

Bicycling the roads and canyons of Utah was the solution.

He's shed about 30 pounds of fat after making bicycling part of a daily routine. He's logged several thousand miles, including many "century rides" -- rides of 100 miles or more. Bradley also rode from Logan, Utah, to Jackson Hole, Wyo., last year.

49 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

I don’t think you’re alone, mad. For me, I would feel like such a burden to my loved ones and those closest to me. Reminds me of the story of Christopher Reeve, aka Superman.. he was low after his equestrian accident that left him paralyzed and he was having thoughts of ending it all. His friend and Juilliard roommate Robin Williams visited with him soon after and simply made him laugh and also helped him realize that everything was going to be okay.

Obviously, none of us have a Robin Williams, but hopefully we do have loved ones or a support group of some kind that can help pick us up when we’re down and help us feel like our world hasn’t ended so that we don’t get to that point. Hell, I think this board has done a great job of doing just that with threads filled with posts from fellow members that have offered help and condolences, as well as words of support, to those going through a personal tragedy.