Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmartigan

8 dead in Atlanta area shootings targeting Asian massage parlors

1 hour ago, youngredbullfan said:

Honestly, it doesn’t seem to be directly racially motivated at this point, but we don’t know a lot. 

Due to Trump’s “China Virus” rhetoric and an associated uptick in hate crimes against Asians nationwide, many AAs are feeling pretty attacked right now. Whether this specific incident falls into that is yet to be determined

If it was racially motivated, he’ll justifiably be charged with multiple hate crimes.

To your latter point, data shows, as of yesterday, that there has been a total of 3,795 reported incidents against AAPIs nationwide throughout the pandemic, with 417 of those being physical — the rest being verbal or shunning. 

Edited to reflect corrected data. Apologies, I had it wrong earlier.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

47 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

If it was racially motivated, he’ll justifiably be charged with multiple hate crimes.

To your latter point, data shows, as of yesterday, that there has been a total of 3,795 reported incidents against AAPIs nationwide throughout the pandemic, with 417 of those being physical — the rest being verbal or shunning. 

Edited to reflect corrected data. Apologies, I had it wrong earlier.

This hate crime thing is too flimsy.  And hard to prove.  They would have to essentially be yelling slurs or wearing a shirt that says "I am doing this because I hate *insert race*".  If it wasn't for my distrust in sentencing consistentency, I would say leave it to the judges to dole out max sentences based on the motivations of crime.

5 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Has it been determined that this was a racially-motivated hate crime? 

I was referring to racism in general, not the shooting.

6 hours ago, youngredbullfan said:

Honestly, it doesn’t seem to be directly racially motivated at this point, but we don’t know a lot. 

Due to Trump’s “China Virus” rhetoric and an associated uptick in hate crimes against Asians nationwide, many AAs are feeling pretty attacked right now. Whether this specific incident falls into that is yet to be determined

Meghan McCain yesterday apologized for her words last year and reversed her view of Trump's "China Virus" rhetoric.

I will not be surprised if now someone in the GOP tries to censure her like they did her mother.