Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebels2k3

Rumored names for SJSU coaching vacancy: Dave Rice, Marvin Menzies, Steve Lavin

45 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Lavin is a charismatic guy and may be exactly what SJSU needs.  He was an under-rated coach too IMO.  SJSU needs a guy that can get recruits to open the door and Steve's TV presence will get that done.

Lavin is salesman and SJSU needs a coach who can pimp the program, he would need a few years to upgrade the talent but it could work with the right assistants.   IMO Lavin is not a great X and O coach or player development coach, but you can overcome that with good assistants. 

16 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

He actually did a pretty good job at St.John's. He made them competitive.

he has all those ESPN connection coupled with the ability to sell a program with his name recognition.  

mem skyline sig.jpeg

God if I go to SJSU for grad school school I'd not appreciate it Dave Rice as the basketball coach...

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

20 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I think Dave would do well there. It wasn't his fault he was hired as a first time head coach at a place like UNLV. With that said, if he'd have gotten some head coaching experience somewhere else first, maybe he would have learned how to coach before he got here.

Rice's UNLV recruiting and in-game coaching grades: A and D

Prileau or whatever his name is actually didn't recruit badly at SJSU, he simply couldn't keep anybody who was very good who panned out. The same would be true of anyone at SJSU because their gym (and that's what it is) has a Big West Conference atmosphere and always has.

Ergo, because they would have to break the less than well-stocked bank to get Davey boy to come, I really can't think of a worse hire for SJSU.

Of the names listed, I'd take a chance on Earl Watson. He might not be able to recruit as well as Rice,  and I'm not at all sure he couldn't, but he has some NBA HC experience, a lot of contacts in SoCal through involvement in LeVar Ball's junior basketball organization, would work his butt off and relate very well to young guys because of his age and would work for a modest salary.

26 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Rice's UNLV recruiting and in-game coaching grades: A and D

Prileau or whatever his name is actually didn't recruit badly at SJSU, he simply couldn't keep anybody who was very good who panned out. The same would be true of anyone at SJSU because their gym (and that's what it is) has a Big West Conference atmosphere and always has.

Ergo, because they would have to break the less than well-stocked bank to get Davey boy to come, I really can't think of a worse hire for SJSU.

Of the names listed, I'd take a chance on Earl Watson. He might not be able to recruit as well as Rice,  and I'm not at all sure he couldn't, but he has some NBA HC experience, a lot of contacts in SoCal through involvement in LeVar Ball's junior basketball organization, would work his butt off and relate very well to young guys because of his age and would work for a modest salary.

If you think that, than your TV needs adjusting or you're using an incorrect scale. While it's not an arena like Old Ladies (Viejas), it is definitely not a gym like many of those in the Big West. Your analysis is further off by the fact that they tour the facilities when being recruited. How do you think Prioleau landed them by giving tours of Oracle Arena? None of the previous HCs had near the amount of bounce-outs as he did. Clearly it was a coaching issue.

Your conclusion about Rice is correct. I agree with those observations. Watson, on the other hand, while he brings name recognition and NBA cred, he is not the type of coach that will build-up a program like ours. In conclusion, none of them are the right coaches for SJSU.

I doubt you can get any of those candidates with your salary pool equivalent to assistant coaches

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

36 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

He would at least not bring any players that don't belong.

Lavin rode UCLA's name and brand in the 1990s and had an easier time winning with the "roll out the recruits" game strategy. Didn't work so well at St. John's.

Just now, Rebels2k3 said:

Lavin rode UCLA's name and brand in the 1990s and had an easier time winning with the "roll out the recruits" game strategy. Didn't work so well at St. John's.

The teams he ran out at st John's would run the mw. 

You are correct, just adding context. That league had a lot of great teams in it.

2 hours ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Can he do it on a cold, windy night in Laramie though?

He's not a great coach. I'm not sure what he'd do in the mw, lil Pitino at unm either. Wouldnt be my 1st through 5th choice. Would have rather had him than tjo. Just due to experience and positive exposure from espn.