Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebels2k3

Rumored names for SJSU coaching vacancy: Dave Rice, Marvin Menzies, Steve Lavin

5 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

He's just building a recruiting pipeline.

Something about a university program or something I was under the assumption he still works for GCU.

But I wouldn't expect him to take that job, I don't see him going there unless he really wants to coach bad!

edit but you never know!

https://twitter.com/MarvinMenzies/status/1356755922429767681?s=20

Actually I think Dave Rice would be a good hire for SJSU

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

13 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I do too.  Marvin wouldn't be a horrible choice either.  

It would be interesting to see how DR could recruit at San Jo. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

30 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

I doubt Lavin happens. He would want too much money. Menzies would do it for buffett coupons.

Just offer Lavin free hair products and he's in

46 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I think Dave would do well there. It wasn't his fault he was hired as a first time head coach at a place like UNLV. With that said, if he'd have gotten some head coaching experience somewhere else first, maybe he would have learned how to coach before he got here.

1 minute ago, 4UNLV said:

I think Dave would do well there. It wasn't his fault he was hired as a first time head coach at a place like UNLV. With that said, if he'd have gotten some head coaching experience somewhere else first, maybe he would have learned how to coach before he got here.

it'll be more about getting the guys, you need things to back you. What's up with Rice anyway!?!? Maybe he can get that New Balance money if he becomes a coach again. I'm not sure what the situation is at San Jose for basketball but I don't any coach who actually cares about their craft would take the job unless they're paying alot and you absolutely can't find work anywhere else. 

39 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I do too.  Marvin wouldn't be a horrible choice either.  

It would be interesting to see how DR could recruit at San Jo. 

Marvin would be okay I think he'd find those Africans who where not looked at or over looked even if he could replicate teams like his NMSU squads he'd be okay, he started sweeping certain teams by the time he was out the mw

1 hour ago, masterfrog said:

I think all of those would be upgrades and none of them would ever take the Spartans to the dance. 

I'm not so sure about Watson and Townsend. The rest, YES!

2 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

How funny would it be to see Dave Rice get the job and sweep UNLV on a regular basis? 

This would be the most UNLV thing to happen in the history of college athletics.

47 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

If Dave Rice has actually learned from his time at UNLV and picked up some skills from Muss and Mike Hopkins...he may finally be ready to be a MWC Head Coach.

Dave's problem isn't knowledge. He understands the game and he understands how to manage a program.  This is why he is a great assistant.  Dave's problem is teaching, motivating, and running a disciplined program.  He gets walked on by players and can't keep guys in line.

Lavin is a charismatic guy and may be exactly what SJSU needs.  He was an under-rated coach too IMO.  SJSU needs a guy that can get recruits to open the door and Steve's TV presence will get that done.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke