Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Vacations

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

I think you're talking about Face Rock Creamery for the cheese and ice cream. Awesome place.

Yeah. They actually folded during the recession. Then they reopened with a new name like 10 years ago. Pretty much the same place, only with a new name.

5 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

My wife and I will be going to Vegas for 3 days in June to walk the floor of the Barrett-Jackson Car Auction. After that we are planning our honeymoon trip to Hawaii in December. We want to do something different and try Christmas in Hawaii. 

Think Kauai. It's the most beautiful of the islands as well as super sleepy, and laid back. Perfect for honeymooning! The eggs benedict I ate at the Koa Kea is still the best I have ever eaten.

6 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Bandon petting zoo is cool too, even for olderish kids.  

Got to pet a panther, that was sweet.

Kinda related story about small town petting zoos...

My wife and I were watching Tiger King last year and it triggered a memory of her going to the mall in Cheyenne as a kid and having some rednecks let her hold a baby lion or something. She said they also had some exotic birds, and one somehow got loose and crashed into a skylight, falling dead almost on top of her.

She doesn't remember if it was Joe Exotic, but he did live in Laramie for a while, so it's possible he made Wyoming a tour stop.

So long story short, she might just stay on the beach and avoid the PTSD while I take the kids to the Safari park.

3 hours ago, Los_Aztecas said:

Think Kauai. It's the most beautiful of the islands as well as super sleepy, and laid back. Perfect for honeymooning! The eggs benedict I ate at the Koa Kea is still the best I have ever eaten.

Compared to Maui or the big island, I found Kauai to be kinda boring and a pain in the ass to get around.

23 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

Bonaire restoration projects are the best I've seen in person. However, there is rediculous amounts of construction occuring right now to try and take advantage of it's beauty. The locals i talked to are not optimistic about the government's ability to decline the almighty dollar so they can be more like Aruba. Only time and leadership decision will tell.

Go now if u can. One of the most life changing places I've personally been to.

Thanks, I'll try to get there soon. My connection to corals comes from aquariums and a general obsession with aquatic life in general, and I've never done any diving except a bit of snorkeling on Grand Cayman and Kauai (which was awesome). For Bonaire, it sounds like I'll need to take a class. I really want to see the restoration work. 

On 5/17/2021 at 2:53 PM, renoskier said:

Compared to Maui or the big island, I found Kauai to be kinda boring and a pain in the ass to get around.

The variety of climates, activities, and hiking terrain on the big island is the pull for me.  None of the other islands can match that.    Maui is too crowded ;)  GO there for night life and parties.

On 5/17/2021 at 3:33 PM, Los_Aztecas said:

Traffic is a pain in the ass which is weird considering it doesn’t seem like many live there. Big island will always be my favorite but Kauai is second.

On 5/17/2021 at 7:31 PM, I am Ram said:

Thanks, I'll try to get there soon. My connection to corals comes from aquariums and a general obsession with aquatic life in general, and I've never done any diving except a bit of snorkeling on Grand Cayman and Kauai (which was awesome). For Bonaire, it sounds like I'll need to take a class. I really want to see the restoration work. 

I’m big into salt water aquariums, have a 275g reef tank and a 240g fish only tank. 

13 hours ago, Billings said:

The variety of climates, activities, and hiking terrain on the big island is the pull for me.  None of the other islands can match that.    Maui is too crowded ;)  GO there for night life and parties.

My wife and I went to Maui about 40 years ago and returned several years ago. We were amazed at how much more tourist development occurred in that time. Oahu has the best beaches but the biggest population.

Hawaii must have been awesome before the haoles discovered it. It was paradise on earth. Great weather year around, beautiful culture and women, and abundant food. What more could you ask for. 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

My wife and I went to Maui about 40 years ago and returned several years ago. We were amazed at how much more tourist development occurred in that time. Oahu has the best beaches but the biggest population.

Hawaii must have been awesome before the haoles discovered it. It was paradise on earth. Great weather year around, beautiful culture and women, and abundant food. What more could you ask for. 

I don't think they had abundant food. That was an issue across Polynesia, really. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

5 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

Honestly , for a a vacation for less a couple weeks,  all 4 of the main islands are amazing in Hawaii. They each offer something a little different, but are all great for a couple week long vacation

Interisland travel is a real hassle right now unless you were vaccinated in Hawaii.  Be Aware you need a negative covid test not taken before 3 days and travel between islands.  If you were vaccinated in Hawaii your card is a vaccine passport and you need no tests.

6 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

ON maui there is a push to slow tourism and have fewer visitors.  Reserved paring at parks and beaches for residents only, etc.   Place is simply overrun with tourists and a bit snobbish at times.

1 minute ago, Billings said:

Interisland travel is a real hassle right now unless you were vaccinated in Hawaii.  Be Aware you need a negative covid test not taken before 3 days and travel between islands.  If you were vaccinated in Hawaii your card is a vaccine passport and you need no tests.

Oh sorry, i wasnt clear. I didn't mean see ALL 4 islands. That would be a waste. I meant any ONE of the 4 islands. Can't go wrong with that choice 🙂

1 minute ago, Stealthlobo said:

Oh sorry, i wasnt clear. I didn't mean see ALL 4 islands. That would be a waste. I meant any ONE of the 4 islands. Can't go wrong with that choice 🙂

btw Molokai is a hidden gem for a quiet, uncrowded retreat.

4 minutes ago, Billings said:

btw Molokai is a hidden gem for a quiet, uncrowded retreat.

I'm more of a Kaho'olawe kinda guy ;)

Seriously though, I've heard good things about Molokai but never been. Did spend a nice relaxing week on Lanai though.

1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

I'll be leaving the country in 2 months. Either to Greece or Colombia. I'm thrilled.

We originally were planning on Colombia for our trip but decided against it due to their covid closures when we were planning the trip. However, we met a lot of Colombians on our trip to the Dutch Antilles a week ago and there are some really awful things happening there right now between the government and it's citizens.

One lady who was our server at a resort. When we saw she was from Colombia and asked her about it, she broke down crying saying how scared she was for her family there. I know you will, but be careful if you decide there and do some research on what happening. Cheers.

20 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

One lady who was our server at a resort. When we saw she was from Colombia and asked her about it, she broke down crying saying how scared she was for her family there. I know you will, but be careful if you decide there and do some research on what happening. Cheers.

I have friends studying in Medellin and they said it's not bad, it's calmed down a lot there right now.  The touristy areas are pretty normal.   It might be ok if you're not going for a month or so.   I would not go to Bogota right now.