Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Vacations

Next stop for me and the wife will be El Yunque National Forest and Old San Juan. B) We haven't booked the trip yet.

El Yunque is the only tropical rainforest in the U.S. National Forest Service.

24 minutes ago, nmlongbow said:

Family and I are going to St. Lucia in 2 weeks. Never been there but looking forward to a new adventure. 

I've made several trips to the Caribbean (going to Puerto Rico next) and assure you that St. Lucia is awesome. Many say it's the most beautiful island in the Caribbean. Have fun! 

Saint Lucia Caribbean Island | Official Tourism Website | Let Her Inspire  You

1 hour ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Anybody have any recommendations for an Oregon coast trip with 2 kids under 6? Planning to road trip from Boise in the late summer or fall to visit for the 1st time. 

Tagging @NVGiant, not sure who else lives in the general area that could also help...

Depends on what you’re looking for. Every part of the coast is gorgeous, so that’s a given. I really like parts of the northern coast. Gearhardt, cannon beach and astoria are real close to each other. If you’ve seen Goonies, this is the area that was filmed in. Lots of things to do with kids, but downside is it gets more people because it’s closest to portland.

Central Coast has some fun things for kids. Oregon Aquarium in Newport is a cool spot. Some accessible lighthouses for kids, too. I’d recommend staying in a place like Yachats or Waldport rather than Newport or Lincoln city, which are bigger towns but not great places.

My favorite is the Southern Coast. I love Bandon, though it’s small. Can drop crab pots right off the pier there, which you can rent for cheap. My daughter loves it. And if you catch it at right time, you can haul in a ton of Dungeness crab. Tide pools at Sunset Bay and fishing charters out of Charleston are all fun for kids. Just don’t stay in Coos Bay. That’s a rough place.

Also, not sure if you are doing a hotel or camping, but if you’re camping most of the state parks are really nice on the coast. My favorite park is Cape Lookout near Pacific city (another cool little town).

Happy to offer more suggestions if you narrow in on an area or are looking to do something specific.

52 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I’d recommend staying in a place like Yachats or Waldport rather than Newport or Lincoln city, which are bigger towns but not great places.

We’ve always stayed in Netarts, although it’s been almost ten years, used to go about every year. Less touristy and less expensive than the name-brand resort towns nearby. Close to the ice cream at Tillamook, too.

7 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Depends on what you’re looking for. Every part of the coast is gorgeous, so that’s a given. I really like parts of the northern coast. Gearhardt, cannon beach and astoria are real close to each other. If you’ve seen Goonies, this is the area that was filmed in. Lots of things to do with kids, but downside is it gets more people because it’s closest to portland.

Central Coast has some fun things for kids. Oregon Aquarium in Newport is a cool spot. Some accessible lighthouses for kids, too. I’d recommend staying in a place like Yachats or Waldport rather than Newport or Lincoln city, which are bigger towns but not great places.

My favorite is the Southern Coast. I love Bandon, though it’s small. Can drop crab pots right off the pier there, which you can rent for cheap. My daughter loves it. And if you catch it at right time, you can haul in a ton of Dungeness crab. Tide pools at Sunset Bay and fishing charters out of Charleston are all fun for kids. Just don’t stay in Coos Bay. That’s a rough place.

Also, not sure if you are doing a hotel or camping, but if you’re camping most of the state parks are really nice on the coast. My favorite park is Cape Lookout near Pacific city (another cool little town).

Happy to offer more suggestions if you narrow in on an area or are looking to do something specific.

Thanks man! Seems like most online travel blogs and stuff always call out the bigger towns (Newport, Coos) but it's good to hear of some nearby places that are nicer and quieter.

We've got a mini camping trip planned over memorial day, assuming the kids handle that ok we'll be planning on camping. Just in case, are there decent hotel options or is Air BnB the better way to go?

At the moment, I think we're leaning towards the Bandon/Sunset Bay area (thanks for the Coos Bay warning), and maybe planning on a day in Newport on the way back home

44 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Thanks man! Seems like most online travel blogs and stuff always call out the bigger towns (Newport, Coos) but it's good to hear of some nearby places that are nicer and quieter.

We've got a mini camping trip planned over memorial day, assuming the kids handle that ok we'll be planning on camping. Just in case, are there decent hotel options or is Air BnB the better way to go?

At the moment, I think we're leaning towards the Bandon/Sunset Bay area (thanks for the Coos Bay warning), and maybe planning on a day in Newport on the way back home

That’s a good trip. Bandon is great. Because I’m a golfer, this is the area I am most familiar with. Face Rock Creamery for cheese and ice cream, Bandon Brewing for pizza and a beer, Tony’s for a cup of clam chowder. Tony’s is great because not only can you get seafood, you can also rent a crab pot and bait for $8 a day, then they’ll clean and cook the crabs you catch for $1/crab. If you’re interested in golf and want to venture to Bandon Dunes to check it out (summer is expensive to play), all the restaurants there are good and a decent value. I love McKee’s Pub (Irish pub) and Trail’s End (Asian fusion) at the Resort. 

A couple of nice state parks around there. The closest to Bandon is Bullards Beach. Nice campground, really close to town. A bit farther from the beach than most state parks, but can still be walked to (though bikes are better). Could be tough to get a spot now, though. Sunset Bay is also nice. As is Humbug Mountain a bit farther south. But if you can’t get a spot at the state parks, lots of really good Airbnbs around Bandon. I’ve also stayed at the Table Rock Motel, which is a funky little place. Nothing fancy, but clean and it a pretty cool spot with views of, you guessed it, Table Rock. There are a decent number of hotels around the area, but you won’t find a Hilton or anything.

8 hours ago, NVGiant said:

The bait shop in Banden is home to the world's best clam chowder in a styrofoam cup and fish and chips.  By the old driftwood motel (owned by family friends, so consider it a plug).

Newport is awesome, the Ripley's believe it or not would be fun for the kids, as is the whale watching.  Yaquina Head Lighthouse is haunted (allegedly) and has fun ghost stories on the tour.

13 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The bait shop in Banden is home to the world's best clam chowder in a styrofoam cup and fish and chips.  By the old driftwood motel (owned by family friends, so consider it a plug).

Newport is awesome, the Ripley's believe it or not would be fun for the kids, as is the whale watching.  Yaquina Head Lighthouse is haunted (allegedly) and has fun ghost stories on the tour.

Yeah, not sure which one you are talking about, but there is Bandon Bait and Tony's Crab Shack. Both are great places for clam chowder (as is Fish and Chips). But only Tony's and Bandon Bait can you get a cup of clam chowder, rent a crap pot and get a fishing license all in one place. Both are awesome.

Newport has a lot of fun places (Ripley's is not my favorite, though. Kids love it though.). But it's kind of dumpy. The small towns nearby, Yachats and Waldport are better places to stay. And you can just pop up to Newport to do the fun, touristy stuff like the aquarium.

Just now, NVGiant said:

Yeah, not sure which one you are talking about, but there is Bandon Bait and Tony's Crab Shack. Both are great places for clam chowder (as is Fish and Chips). But only Tony's and Bandon Bait can you get a cup of clam chowder, rent a crap pot and get a fishing license all in one place. Both are awesome.

Bandon Bait baby!!!!  Rent your pot and eat the chowder!!!

20 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Newport has a lot of fun places (Ripley's is not my favorite, though. Kids love it though.). But it's kind of dumpy. The small towns nearby, Yachats and Waldport are better places to stay. And you can just pop up to Newport to do the fun, touristy stuff like the aquarium.

Trips to the Oregon coast were the affordable vacation we could do.  Could get there and back again for $300 when I was 4-8 years old.  Got a great discount at the driftwood (like $20 a night), would eat at Bandon Bait every night, search agates and fossils on the beach.  Drive to Newport to do the touristy things.  IIRC there was also a great cheese/ice cream spot too, which is fun for the kids.  

I still have a few of the fossils I found somewhere.

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Trips to the Oregon coast were the affordable vacation we could do.  Could get there and back again for $300 when I was 4-8 years old.  Got a great discount at the driftwood (like $20 a night), would eat at Bandon Bait every night, search agates and fossils on the beach.  Drive to Newport to do the touristy things.  IIRC there was also a great cheese/ice cream spot too, which is fun for the kids.  

I still have a few of the fossils I found somewhere.

I think you're talking about Face Rock Creamery for the cheese and ice cream. Awesome place.

11 hours ago, nmlongbow said:

Family and I are going to St. Lucia in 2 weeks. Never been there but looking forward to a new adventure. 

Super jealous! Our original plan was St Lucia but when we were making the plans it still required 14 day quarantine when you landed so we changed it to the ABCs.  We are hoping to go maybe in October so you'll definitely have to tell us how your trip goes =)

5 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I think you're talking about Face Rock Creamery for the cheese and ice cream. Awesome place.

They must have changed the name of it.  Same building, new name.  IIRC it was "Bandon Creamery".

My wife and I will be going to Vegas for 3 days in June to walk the floor of the Barrett-Jackson Car Auction. After that we are planning our honeymoon trip to Hawaii in December. We want to do something different and try Christmas in Hawaii. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg